Food plot and a little work today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jkelbe View Post
    Maybe it's not raining becuase you're not planting.
    Lol you are probably right. Too funny.

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
      Congrats on the good fishing trip! I'm scared to try & plant anything as dry as it is at the ranch.
      Thanks David. Some years just aren't meant to plant a food plot this looks like one of them for a lot of people.

Comment

Spring planting...ALMOST as much fun as fall hunting!

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
          Spring planting...ALMOST as much fun as fall hunting!
          Exactly lol.

Comment

So here are some pics of the "planting" process. It's about as simple as you can get

Inoculate the cow peas....

Broadcast into the tall Rye.

Hook up the bush hog and get busy...

Comment

Following with interest. I'm not happy with rye mowed with batwing bushhog.Made thick rows between the blades and very little straw in between. Exploring purchase of crimper. Will be very interested in your results.

Comment

Rye thatch...

Underneath the rye was the clover and chicory. Mowing should release both of them to get tall if we get some rain.

Comment

I also filled corn and protein feeders and checked out my hinge cutting. The sprouts are taking off vertical on a horizontal limb.

Stump is growing...

None of this will matter it doesn't rain..... so I'll be praying for it.

Comment

I'll help you out on the praying, but I'll be praying for 2 locations. I see your Chicory, I know what to look for now. I am seeing fat pregnant deer at my place I hope you are seeing the same at your place.

Comment

rain!

Comment

Originally posted by Wackmaster View Post
                        That looks like a deer's wonderland! Outstanding sir! What part of the state are you doing all this good work? We aren't getting jack squat for rain out here in North Central West Texas . So even if I tried something like this it would be a wast of time. I'm aiming for just improving native forage on the property i hunt and clear most of the cedars and mesquites that are choking out my oaks. Any other suggestions would be wonderful.
                        Thanks. I'm in southern Burleson County just north of Lake Somerville. Improving native forage is probably the best bang for your buck when its dry....other than feed protein. This is my first attempt at it and they are slow to eat it....everything is green despite the lack of rain.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                          Following with interest. I'm not happy with rye mowed with batwing bushhog.Made thick rows between the blades and very little straw in between. Exploring purchase of crimper. Will be very interested in your results.
                          My cultipacker works well for knocking the rye down. When it heads out and starts to turn yellow it seems like that's the perfect time to roll it....it stays down. I did it too early one year and it started popping back up to vertical.

I thought it was interesting I had oats in the southern part of this plot and it only gets to about 18 inches max. The rye was 4-5 feet tall on average with some over 6 feet. Not near as much thatch as the rye produced.

Comment

Originally posted by jkelbe View Post
                            I'll help you out on the praying, but I'll be praying for 2 locations. I see your Chicory, I know what to look for now. I am seeing fat pregnant deer at my place I hope you are seeing the same at your place.
                            Thanks. The chicory is really dry right now and shriveled up...but its still kicking.

Comment

Got a few deer starting to eat protein finally.

This one is skinny....he needs to eat from the spout!

Last edited by unclefish; 05-07-2014, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Still haven't seen the big 8pt that I gave a scar last year.

By the way these Covert Special Ops trail cams are beyond awesome.
                                Last edited by unclefish; 05-07-2014, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X