One more step...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One more step...

And I was gonna have to take a frontal shot on a big ol sow with piglets this morning!

I was out on some new to me property and the deer weren't cooperating so I went rambling. I decided to sit a bit over some good looking creek bottom. Well after half an hour or so, I saw pigs coming in! I've never seen hogs in the wild before. Well they decided to wallow in the mud and cross the creek some 50 yards out. I didn't have anything to lose, so I slipped down the hill to try and stalk into range.

I must have sounded like a predator to momma cause she started huffing and sniffing the air real hard. Then she started looking for me! She was acting like she was on a search and destroy mission, and she was closing fast. I came to full draw when she disappeared behind the last cedar separating us, and waited rather nervously. When she popped out, there couldn't have been more than 6-8 yards separating us, and there were a couple low hanging branches covering the vitals. She saw me at the last second, gave a great big grunt, and wheeled away, taking the little ones with her.

Anyways, sorry no pictures, but tons of fun! I was a little bummed, because I thought I'd have no option but to test the penetration of the big Treesharks on a frontal shot. (I did have a handy gap in the cedar picked out in case she went ballistic). But no one got cut up by a critter, and I got to experience something new, so it's a winner of a morning!

That's what it's all about to me anyway Trumpkin. Killins kinda over rated but we gotta eat.
    Big fun. Glad for you

Comment

Sounds like a great hunt! Always an exciting encounter with a big sow close at ground level!

Comment

Working...
      X