Busted?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Busted?

Sat all day yesterday and I had one doe cross the shooting lane. It was a narrow lane and I only had about 25 seconds before she was gone but here's what happened....

She came out into the clearing slowly but not "on the alert". When I saw her I leaned forward to stand up and my belt made a stretching sound that was barely audible, but she snapped up to look my direction. I was still and didn't make any more noise or movement, she went back to her business and kept walking. She took two steps in the same direction she had been going and kind of jumped and made a 4 leg stomp landing and snorted a little bit. Not a "I caught you hunting me" snort, more like a sneeze.

I didn't see any other animals after that and that was about 2pm. Think she left a warning scent with that stomp jump? Do they do that?

Sounds like she just smelt/senses you were there. The ‘sneeze’ is clearing of nasal passage to better catch a scent and stomp to just try and get you/danger to jump.
    I’ve seen them do it alldifferent scenarios. In my experiences it has never caused me a ruined hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've heard that they do put off a warning scent when they stomp the ground after being alerted to some type of danger, but for all I know that could just be an old wives tale.

Question, though, do you have to stand to shoot? Sometimes I have to stand to take a certain shot, but I want to be able to take the more likely shots from a seated position. The less movement the better.

Comment

Originally posted by rattler03 View Post
        Question, though, do you have to stand to shoot? Sometimes I have to stand to take a certain shot, but I want to be able to take the more likely shots from a seated position. The less movement the better.
        I just haven't practiced shooting while sitting in my climber. One time I was taking a shot at almost a straight down angle and the bottom limb on my bow knocked the bar on my climber and resulted in a face shot to the deer rather than the kill spot I was aiming for. I had never practiced a shot at that angle. Since then I try and make sure I don't knock my bow on anything and take shots that I have practiced for. I guess I just need to do some sitting practice.
        Last edited by Jackbdwyer; 10-01-2017, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackbdwyer View Post
          I just haven't practiced shooting while sitting in my climber. One time I was taking a shot at almost a straight down angle and the bottom limb on my bow knocked the bar on my climber and resulted in a face shot to the deer rather than the kill spot I was aiming for. I had never practiced a shot at that angle. Since then I try and make sure I don't knock my bow on anything and take shots that I have practiced for. I guess I just need to do some sitting practice.
          I hear you, I agree if you haven't practiced something, and its relatively different than what you are used to doing, then you shouldn't do it. We owe it to the animal to give ourselves the highest percentage possible of delivering a highly effective kill shot. It sure sounds like you did that. The season is still very young, you'll get another chance.

Comment

I hunt from climber stand with bar in front also. It pays to practice from shooting sitting (I lower my bar on climber). Also, try not to take those too close straight down shots. If deer that close and you haven't gotten noticed. Wait til they are moving out little further.
            May your next arrow fly true

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

I got busted by a doe last night, there 11 deer at the feeder, and she got me, 2 big blows and took off running. All the doe and fawns ran off and an 8 point, 7 point, and a spike stuck around and kept eating for atleast another 30 minutes. I hate getting busted but that made me think those bucks must not care too much about what she thinks.

Comment

Them dang does are something else,

Comment

I was sitting in lean too and had 6 deer come in up wind like i figured they would (as there is nothing but pasture down wind of this stand) and then circled right behind my stand down wind. Thought for sure I was busted as I just took out some copenhagen and tossed it on the ground below me a couple minutes prior. They didn't even flinch. Came right in and started eating.

Comment

I've got an old one that's catching an arrow this weekend. She causes problems all the time. She'll blow and stomp then walk to the feeder after everything has run off. If they don't run she'll chase them away.

Comment

A big mature doe is way harder to put an arrow in than a buck.
                      Bucks usually just walk right on in, and those old smart does will always skirt around and hardly ever give you a clean shot.
                      Plus they'll knock you off and stand there blowing and stomping to alert the entire county.

Comment

Working...
                      X