Oppinions- perfect sq footage for family of 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These #'s are a good range.

Tearing down divider walls in the kitchen, family and dining will make a big difference in smaller homes as well.

Comment

Thanks for the replies!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I miss living in a smaller house. I also hate paying to heat and cool a large house. We are actually considering moving to save money. Will also force the kid to spend more actual face time with us. Sometimes space is good but it can also create space. My kid can be at home and I don’t even know it if I’m on the master bedroom side of the house

Comment

My BIL always said that perfect was about 1000 sq ft per person. They always had 4-5,000 Sq ft homes

Comment

Grew up in a house of 4 with ~1400 square feet. Didn't know it was small until somebody told me. Have 2600 now for 2 of us and it's too big, wife complains about having to clean it.

Comment

2400sf of living and 5000sf of storage

Comment

We live in 1600sqft. I love the house. Space where it matters. Kitchen, family, master bath. Bedrooms are smaller but we really only go in there to sleep. Only down side is the lack of a guest bed. When someone comes to visit they gotta sleep in my 4yr olds room with the dinasaurs and stuffed animals and LEGO land mines. He sleeps in the bed with us in that case.

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
                  We live in 1600sqft. I love the house. Space where it matters. Kitchen, family, master bath. Bedrooms are smaller but we really only go in there to sleep. Only down side is the lack of a guest bed. When someone comes to visit they gotta sleep in my 4yr olds room with the dinasaurs and stuffed animals and LEGO land mines. He sleeps in the bed with us in that case.

Your guests will be more inclined not to overstay their visit. The friends of mine that went 5000 sqft and up dread family visits.

"We will be in on X day, we haven't really made a decision on when were leaving, don't worry about us, we will stay out of your way."

Comment

Right now, we live in a 2000 sq ft home with myself, wife, and two girls under the age of 4. We are out of room. No more storage available. Plus, we can never have friends or family stay over because there is no where for them to stay. I am also almost out of room for my mounts. Our current home does have pretty big rooms and living room, but I couldn't see going much smaller. We will hopefully be building a house about 4-5 years down the road. When the time comes, I will start looking at floor plans that include open concept, 4 bedrooms, 2.5 bath, and an office/game room around the 2500-3000 sq ft range. I plan on having really high ceilings in the main room and office for mounts.

Comment

We're at 1860sf for a family of 5, I think it's just right. I also have a 1800sf shop for all my stuff though.

Comment

2200-2400 pending layout.

Comment

We just finished a 2200 sq ft house for 4 of us. We went with a 4 bedroom and an office. Wish we would have taken one of the bedrooms out and make it a 3 bedroom with an office so the kids would have bigger rooms, but we built on a total of 5 acres and try to keep the kids and their friends outside as much as possible. I have an office for side work on computers and my wife has an office for her side job doing vinyl and t-shirts.

Comment

I have 1750 and it's about 200 too small

Comment

About 2,400-2,500. Unless your kids are all girls, then double that.

Comment

34,848,000 sq. ft. Personally id want 200 acres per person. So that's 8,712,000 sq. ft. per person.

Comment

Working...
                                X