Fish Kill ISO Pond Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fish Kill ISO Pond Service

Had our 5 acre pond turn over last summer, it killed me seeing the 5-6lb bass floating. I didn't even know the pond had catfish until I saw cats washed up on the bank.

Will need to restock and figure out why the pond turned over so we can prevent it from happening again in the future. Looks like it was from warm water temps and a cold rain.

Any pond/fish services you all recommend around the Brenham/Columbus Colorado County area?

Also need stocking recommendations, main target species is bass.

Did all your bait fish die as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would contact Overton Fisheries, they are VERY knowledgeable

Comment

Originally posted by bobc View Post
        Did all your bait fish die as well?
        Not all but alot. Had about a hundred buzzards down by the pond for two days...

Comment

Had this happen on a pond out at work about 10-12 years ago.
          Was a NASTY sight and smell for a little while for sure. Hasnt happened sence.

Comment

Originally posted by Dillakilla View Post
            Had this happen on a pond out at work about 10-12 years ago.
            Was a NASTY sight and smell for a little while for sure. Hasnt happened sence.
            Plus side was I had every coyote and coon in Colorado county checking it out at night. Thermal and night vision got to eat at least.

Comment

I have seen this happen several times - one solution is an aerator that turns the water over and keeps oxygen in the water.

I would first restock your baitfish - bluegill, readear, etc. Give them time to establish before you stock bass or catfish.

Many times I have seen where even though it appears all fish are dead there are still some alive - usually the bigger ones die first from oxygen deprivation.

Finally go to www.pondboss.com - free forum with the best info you can find anywhere on ponds - there are tons of experts there who answer questions - good luck to you

Comment

Henneke in Halletsville is where I buy all my fish.

Comment

Also Larrys fish farm in Giddings. I soured on Henneke after seeing their per acre recommendations on the flyer for their fish truck. Way too high rates. Looked like they were just trying to move stock instead of helping folks make healthy ponds.

If you want a bass pond, stock minnows now and small bluegill, and redear. That should set up your food chain. Stock some large bluegill and bass next year. But your best bet is to call Henneke, Larry’s, Danbury, or Overton and ask them their stocking recs. You’ll be able to tell who wants to just move fish and who cares based on the answers you get.

Comment

Might try Lochow Pond and Lake Management in Bryan. They have a website lochowranch.com

Comment

Stocking

Originally posted by LarryP_1989 View Post
                      Might try Lochow Pond and Lake Management in Bryan. They have a website lochowranch.com
                      X2 on company stated. Used to work for them right outta college. Very knowledgeable people in the company.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions folks I will start making phone calls

Comment

fishudude or something like that has a good deal on fish on here most every spring
                          fall

He post a good bit about compound bows and killing hogs

Comment

There is a forum for all your pond issues. Pond Boss Forum. There are a bunch of fisheries people that monitor the forum. They helped me thru the issues I had and developed a plan. Here is their website: http://forums.pondboss.com/

Also, I've purchased fish stock from Hennecke and others. Just be careful on what they recommend you purchase. I recommend the pond boss forum for anyone who wants to better manage their ponds/lakes. There is a lot of science to it....just like raising big deer!

Comment

Threadfin shad are a beneficial pond fish for consuming excess algae and providing a supplemental food source for big bass. Gizzard shad may grow too large for most small ponds. Shad do a good cleanup job with what they eat.

Comment

Working...
                              X