Canning Jalapeno

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canning Jalapeno

I had a good year in Iowa with Jalapeno crop, but need a good recipe for canning. So I figured I should go to the expert source.

Anyone have any good recipes for canning/preserving jalapenos?

mole

Just boil them, and put in the fridge is what I do.

Comment

How long will they last in the fridge? I'm the only one in my family that eats them and I hate to see them go to waste.

mole

Comment

sorry I'm not much help today, but if you put them in the deep freeze after boiling, put them inside some good baggies they'll last for a long long time.

Comment

My wife buys them when they're in season and cheaper at the store early in the year and she will boil them and bag them, then freeze them. We don't have to buy jalapenos for at least two years this way. You can just bag them without boling them if you want and freeze for at least two years, they will keep good and fresh this way also.Hope this info helps.

Comment

Dehydrate

I cut mine up and dehydrate them.

Comment

When you boil them do you cut them up or boil them whole?

I assume when you dehydrate them you leave them whole?

I'm new to the whole jalapeno scene. My wife and kids think I'm nuts, but I love to eat them, but I need a way to make the season last.

mole

Comment

Just leave them whole.

Comment

I cut the stems off with scissors. Then cut a slice in the whole pepper.
                  For the canning recipe:
                  I use equal parts of vinegar and water.
                  1 T of mustard seed
                  1 T of celery seed
                  3 T or so of honey
                  2 T of canning/pickling salt
                  3-4 cloves of garlic sliced.
                  This is for about a 6 quart pot full of peppers.
                  Bring this mixture to a boil (with peppers in the mixture if you like them soft).
                  If you don't like them too soft don't boil them with the mixture.
                  If you do like them soft just boil them with the mixture for 4-5 minutes.
                  Take peppers out of boil and put in jars.
                  Spoon in mixture into the jars (while it is still boiling) and seal.
                  No need for a hot water bath, the boiling mixture will seal the jars.

I have put up about 30 jars of different styles of jalapenos this year, this recipe seems to be a hit with everyone who has tried it.
                  Last edited by scotth89; 10-26-2009, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Another for about the same amount of jalapenos.

Slice the peppers don't remove seeds. Pack peppers into jars.

For the mixture:
                    Equal parts of water and vinegar.
                    2 T of ground black pepper
                    2 T of garlic powder
                    2 T of onion powder
                    3 T of lemon juice
                    4 T of your favorite hot sauce (Louisiana)
                    2 T of canning/pickling salt
                    2 T of honey
                    I put a squirt or two of lemon juice into each jar before adding the boiling mixture.

Bring mixture to a boil and spoon into the jars and seal. Good on nachos, pizza, or just about anything else.

Comment

There are many good canning recipes found on the internet..... What i like to do with mine is before i seal my jars i top off the jar with virgin olive oil... When you pull a pepper from the jar it coats the pepper with olive oil and it is wonderful .....

Comment

I haven't had any luck putting any amount of oil in my recipes. Not even edible in the ones that I did use oil in. Just my .02.

Comment

Originally posted by rzrbak View Post
                          There are many good canning recipes found on the internet..... What i like to do with mine is before i seal my jars i top off the jar with virgin olive oil... When you pull a pepper from the jar it coats the pepper with olive oil and it is wonderful .....
                          One other thing i do is add 1/4 tsp. alum also at the end before the jar is sealed.. It gives the pepper that pucker factor.

Scotth 89... I am surprised by your comment. is the oil used at the end of your canning,or during the process ? I never had any problems with my recipe but that doesn't mean i wont...

Comment

For 120z jar I heat 3 parts water to 1 part vinegar to boil. I add 1 tsp of dill seed 1 tsp of garlic powder and slice the jalapenos. Add peppers and seasoning to jar pour in hot water/vinegar and seal jar. Let soak for a week minimum before opening. I have some that were about 1 year old and still fine. Makes great sandwhich condoment or bbq'd burger under the cheese heated until the cheese melts over the top.

Comment

Originally posted by rzrbak View Post
                              One other thing i do is add 1/4 tsp. alum also at the end before the jar is sealed.. It gives the pepper that pucker factor.

Scotth 89... I am surprised by your comment. is the oil used at the end of your canning,or during the process ? I never had any problems with my recipe but that doesn't mean i wont...
                              I was adding the oil at the end to top the jar off. Maybe I'm adding too much, but it definitely not to my liking.

Comment

Working...
                              X