South Pacific Arrow Slingin - New Zealand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

South Pacific Arrow Slingin - New Zealand

More great memories for Team Landrover! Sorry about the delay on posting but when we got home I had to head to Oakland for my uncles funeral. The last 20 days have been nearly a blurr.
    New Zealand was not on the "super short" list for bowhunting spots but the opportunity leaped frogged to the starting position over the last 18 months...……...odd how LIFE can dictate your next move! This adventure hunt with Alpine Hunting (https://www.alpinehunting.com/) was a live auction donation item for our Houston SCI Chapter event. 100% donation nonetheless!!! My goal was to bid on it as I had enjoyed hunting in Alaska the year before with Liam Quinn, the son of the owner of Alpine Hunting. After scanning the room after about 5 bids I noticed my buddy Skeeter (yes the one on TBH) was also bidding. Heck, my wife had already bought two other trips so this worked out pretty well for me. The auctioneer gavel smashes the lectern and Skeeter won the bid! Fast forward a few months and Hurricane Harvey changes everything for nearly everyone along the coast. Dan had to change his travel plans to Africa so he twisted my arm on this South Pacific adventure....sorta.
    I will try to post up in sections as we were on the move for 13 days or so. The scenery is just as beautiful as everyone says and the previous NZ threads on TBH were spot on. Our first 4 days were hanging out in Auckland, NZ doing all the touristy stuff that my girls love. Lets see if pics can tell most of the story, if I can get them to load:

Random Auckland tourist pics on my phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

In for the stories

Comment

Next stop was Palmerston North and then a 2+ hour drive to the lodge. The prop plane flight was about 1 hour and 20 minutes from Auckland. Liam had been waiting for us to arrive since 9 am but we were delayed until about 5 pm due to mechanical issues. Did not get to hunt as the day was spent in the Auckland airport in the Alliance Lounge people watching and wishing I had rented a car. .....lol. I did watch alot of rugby and world cup soccer as we ate & drank the day away!

Comment

Man what a trip so far!

Comment

After loosing a half day of hunting I was ready! The next morning the chef had breakfast on the table and I was out the door to sling some practice arrows. My Obsession Knightmare was ready and so was I. The terrain was up and down and I was happy to be on their CanAm side by side .......then it was time to spot & stalk! Let me just say, I was having flashbacks to Spain and Alaska!!! It did not take long to realize that getting within 70 yards was gonna be ........ROUGH!!! We definitely got close on a monster stag or two but at the moment of truth the swirling wind did us in. Plan B was discussed and agreed upon.....time for a blind......if nothing else to give my achy legs and joints a break....lol.[emoji6]

Comment

Plan B was the ticket!!! Beautiful Red Stag shows on the horizon and decides to come in. Upon further inspection he was just what the doctor ordered for a trigger happy Creole......thwack......650 grain Grizzly Stik with a Silver Flame headed for the lungs. 32 yards, a little bit high but it ended well!!!

Comment

Dang Oscar, you ate well. Not sure I can follow up on this next week but I'm sure as heck going to try. Can't wait to see the rest of the pics and story.

Comment

Next up was another spot & stalk opportunity on an animal that qualified for the South Pacific slam for archers. He was in a location that we could drop over the top and work down........perfect for me!! The idea worked so well that we came over the top at only 39 yards away. We then proceeded to sneak to 25 yards.....where I promptly shot under him. The wind was blowing like gang-busters so he startled toward us for a perfect 20 yard shot. The bearded beast (Feral Goat) ran for about 40 yards into some incredibly thick stuff and piled up. I was glad Liam was there as I would have walked right past him.

Comment

Lovely traveling companions
                    Great food
                    Memories

AND on top of all of that you got an awesome stag

Congrats and thanks for sharing with us

Comment

After crawling around mountains they call hills I was ready for a blind the following day. Either Fallow or Sika.....or possibly Russ were on the hit list. Shortly after settling in .......thwack!!!
                      I had passed on fallow in Spain and France but this one wanted to meet his maker.....I obliged!!!

Comment

Much more to come guys.....gotta geaux get my critter from the kennel. The South Island trip into the southern alps was INCREDIBLE! !

Comment

Can't wait.

Comment

Awesome stuff sir!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice animals!

Comment

Working...
                              X