Wasted talent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wasted talent

A little background of myself. I didn't grow up in rodeo but fell in love when I was in 6th grade. I started riding bulls and bareback horses. I was somewhat sucessful in highschool, winning the Texas Reserve Championship and National Reserve Championship in bareback. I went to college on a rodeo scholarship but came up short of expectations due to injuries. Even though I had my PRCA card, I never made any of their finals. ( I did win sevral PRCA RODEOS) Due to injuries and confidence I found myself focusing on the amatuer circuit. I was successful to some degree but always thought less of myself. I hung it up in 2001. For the wrong reasons.

FAST FORWARD to last night. MY wife and I went to the local amatuer rodeo. My little girl was entered in the the mutton busting and we were behind the chutes getting ready. I was nervous as hell. I wanted her to do well. Anyways, while we are waiting a guy from the area came up to me and asked if I was Brandon Arrington and I said I was. He shook his head and told me I was a waisted talent and I should have gone to the finals (NFR). I didn't know what to do but nod.

Either way it got me to thinking. I wonder if I have it in me to get myself in shape and for one last time nod my head. Make the circuit finals. I don't want my daughter to ever have someone tell her I was wasted talent.

Go for it, you only live once!

Comment

Originally posted by BUCKJUNKIE View Post
      Go for it, you only live once!
      Agreed!

Comment

Might be different with a family now. Lots more to lose. Something u would have to sit down with the family and discuss. Anyway what has the guy done that said that to you. My guess would be not much. Sounds like you have a good life going for you so I wouldnt worry about what could have been and make the most out of your life now. JMO

Comment

Brandon.... thats why I held on for so long. I support your decission either way but you know exactly what it takes.... wasted talent????? I think not.... your talent as a father is well used. Saying all this..... I asked Johnny Boren one time.... how old do you get before you stop craving it? His answer was something I will never forget " I don't know Chris.... I don't know" and so far he was right.

Comment

Put the pipe down now!

Comment

Just don't make a decision that you may regret later. It is easy to forget all the pain and suffering we go through when it is behind us. Your family should come first in all your plans. I don't know how old you are, but you are at least eight years older than when you got out of the business. All I am saying is don't make a mistake because of someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Berandel View Post
                Put the pipe down now!
                x2

you're no spring chicken.

Comment

The biggest question is can your body take the punishment anymore? But you will never know unless you try it again. Try getting in shape and see if you think you can. Getting yourself back into riding shape will answer your question. If nothing else, it will do your body good getting in better shape. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Comment

I just turned 35. I wouldn't do nothing without talking to my wife. Its funny though, I think water skiing is more dangerous than riding a bucking horse. I guess it all depends on the element. One of my best friends is a 6X qualifier to the NFR and 2 years younger than me. I plan on talking to him and see what he says. He has always told me I had the stuff but I just couldn't find it.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                      x2

you're no spring chicken.

Whats a spring Chicken? Clint Corey went to the finals when he was in his 40's. First thing I have to get in shape. My injuries have had time to heal.

Comment

You shoulda knocked him out and when he woke up told him that you took up boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by rem788 View Post
                          You shoulda knocked him out and when he woke up told him that you took up boxing.
                          Maybe. But in my mind he was telling the thruthe>

Comment

8 years out of the game is a long time. Think long and hard. Good luck either way.

Comment

I think you will still have it Brandon. I think about trying to get in shape and fight some local shows every now and then.....I am just to slow now a days to be able to get out of the way of an on coming bull....Maybe the barrel is would be an option for me........If you do decide to ride again, I will come and cheer on the one of the old guys

Comment

Working...
                              X