Who do you hunt with?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who do you hunt with?

looking for input and put out wanring for all you public land warriors.
    each season I put in hundreds of hours prepping and hunting on public lands. That being said I am fully aware that anything goes. I had a TBH memeber last year reach out to me via private message on here. long story short I let him hunt with my group i normally hunt with and put this guy in a great area. He decided one of the days i wasnt around to help himsellf to my own personal setup that i was hunting and sharing with another close friend that i was also helping to get his first bow buck. Well a buck was killed from my location and the guy lied about it for 3 months before he fessed up about it. He intially said it was killed at the stand i let him use. Initially i was ok with it but the more i thought about all the effort and time and money i had put into setting my own stuff up and several other spots for friends to use it bothered me. This guy was given a free climber and deer cart by me also, i tried helping in every way i could and in the end myself and my other buddy got screwed over in a way. I know its public land and anyone can hunt anywhere they like but there is somewhat of a code between hunters i believe. He knew i was letting my friend hunt my stand there but did what he wanted anyway. Needless to say onother long time friend that shared this area was really upset about the deer being taken and we no longer speak. I wish I had just kept my info on deer sightings to myself and quit feeling like i wanna help everyone because this time it backfired. Both my other buddies have killed deer in areas i shared with them but this one ****** both of them off because they realized the deer bandit didnt put in the work to deserve the right to harvest that animal. Is what it is. Im not angry at anyone but im just posting more so to let all you guys know be leary of who you share your public land info with. Some people just want it the easy way! I MISS MY BUDDY Come back B :-(

Who do you hunt with?

Over the years I’ve become picky about who I’ll share specific information with, and even pickier about the specific spots I hunt.

I was lucky enough to have people invest in me and share with me a lot of their information so I try to pay that back as much as I can, when I can, because there are very few people willing to do the work. For me it’s a 24/7 365 deal. Sometimes it’s borderlines on an unhealthy obsession. But it only got that way because other people helped me and I’ve had a chip on my shoulder to prove that it wasn’t just chance on my first buck.

I think we all go through hunting phases where we have something to prove. But like you and I have talked about before, the only person who cares what you kill is the person in the mirror. I’ve mitigated some of these issues by going to a hang and hunt strategy for about 95% of my hunting by using an XoP Vanish XT and a set of hawk helium sticks. People can hunt my spot if they want, but they had better be willing to work for it. But I digress.

If people hadn’t poured into me, it would’ve taken me much longer to learn what I have. And it winds up being the case that some of the deer I’ve taken may well be deer that my buddy’s would have had a chance at but I’ll never really know. That’s the chance you take.

Much like raising kids, there’s no guarantee that they turn out okay. People are going to make their own choices. Some people are going to take advantage of you, betray you or do even worse, and unfortunately people will do absolutely shocking stuff if they think it gives them a shot at a deer. There’s really only two things you can do in that situation, and it’s forgive them or be bitter about it. Forgiveness isn’t reconciliation. And it doesn’t mean I have to reconcile and let them back into my life. And I can totally understand not wanting to forgive someone over this because they are taking advantage of your TIME. You can make more money but you CANNOT make more time! But for me, God’s word tells me I have to forgive people because I know just how great a sinner I am in my own heart, regardless of how good other people may think I am.

I’ve invested in a lot of guys. Hung stands for them, poured out corn, gave information and all sorts of stuff only to be let down because guys just didn’t wanna do it. That’s fine. They found out it’s not for them. But if I had a Booner on camera in that area I sure bet they would go in there and hunt. And I can even admit that when I and a buddy are hunting the same area that there is this small voice in my own heart that secretly hopes I’m successful and he isn’t. But I know that isn’t right. I know it’s my flesh and the enemy of my own soul speaking in that moment and the reality is this... it’s just a deer.

A hundred years from now I’m gonna be dead. So is my buddy. And no one is going to give a hill of beans about the bucks I had on the Wall once I’m buried in the dirt. C.S. Lewis once said “There are only two things in life that you can invest in eternally and those are God and people”. I’m not always good about investing in people over deer in some cases unfortunately, but with God’s help I’m sure trying to. But I hope you never lose a friendship over a deer. I get it, I know the money and time investment and the blood, sweat and tears that go into it for some people, especially you. But keep investing in people. Because once you’re gone that information dies with you. I wish I knew even half of what my grandpa knew before he died. There are still hunters out there willing to work, to share the info and invest in the effort. And it helps the sport ultimately if all of us decide to help in some way. I’m not saying give away spots and hand folks a deer. But early on we all need a little encouragement, especially hunting public. You’ve helped a lotta hunters over the years I know for a fact.

I know because I’m one of em Todd!

Just be wise in who you decide to actually spare specifics with!
    Last edited by Kirby86; 08-01-2018, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post
      Over the years I’ve become picky about who I’ll share specific information with, and even pickier about the specific spots I hunt.

I was lucky enough to have people invest in me and share with me a lot of their information so I try to pay that back as much as I can, when I can, because there are very few people willing to do the work. For me it’s a 24/7 365 deal. Sometimes it’s borderlines on an unhealthy obsession. But it only got that way because other people helped me and I’ve had a chip on my shoulder to prove that it wasn’t just chance on my first buck.

I think we all go through hunting phases where we have something to prove. But like you and I have talked about before, the only person who cares what you kill is the person in the mirror. I’ve mitigated some of these issues by going to a hang and hunt strategy for about 95% of my hunting by using an XoP Vanish XT and a set of hawk helium sticks. People can hunt my spot if they want, but they had better be willing to work for it. But I digress.

If people hadn’t poured into me, it would’ve taken me much longer to learn what I have. And it winds up being the case that some of the deer I’ve taken may well be deer that my buddy’s would have had a chance at but I’ll never really know. That’s the chance you take.

Much like raising kids, there’s no guarantee that they turn out okay. People are going to make their own choices. Some people are going to take advantage of you, betray you or do even worse, and unfortunately people will do absolutely shocking stuff if they think it gives them a shot at a deer. There’s really only two things you can do in that situation, and it’s forgive them or be bitter about it. Forgiveness isn’t reconciliation. And it doesn’t mean I have to reconcile and let them back into my life. And I can totally understand not wanting to forgive someone over this because they are taking advantage of your TIME. You can make more money but you CANNOT make more time! But for me, God’s word tells me I have to forgive people because I know just how great a sinner I am in my own heart, regardless of how good other people may think I am.

I’ve invested in a lot of guys. Hung stands for them, poured out corn, gave information and all sorts of stuff only to be let down because guys just didn’t wanna do it. That’s fine. They found out it’s not for them. But if I had a Booner on camera in that area I sure bet they would go in there and hunt. And I can even admit that when I and a buddy are hunting the same area that there is this small voice in my own heart that secretly hopes I’m successful and he isn’t. But I know that isn’t right. I know it’s my flesh and the enemy of my own soul speaking in that moment and the reality is this... it’s just a deer.

A hundred years from now I’m gonna be dead. So is my buddy. And no one is going to give a hill of beans about the bucks I had on the Wall once I’m buried in the dirt. C.S. Lewis once said “There are only two things in life that you can invest in eternally and those are God and people”. I’m not always good about investing in people over deer in some cases unfortunately, but with God’s help I’m sure trying to. But I hope you never lose a friendship over a deer. I get it, I know the money and time investment and the blood, sweat and tears that go into it for some people, especially you. But keep investing in people. Because once you’re gone that information dies with you. I wish I knew even half of what my grandpa knew before he died. There are still hunters out there willing to work, to share the info and invest in the effort.

I know because I’m one of em Todd!
      Shane I know you are, I believe in giving back as well. Its our responsibility as hunters to pass it on. I'm no saint, but as I've aged Im learning alot about myself and that includes recognizing the changes that needed to come with that knowledge. Ive been very lucky and blessed to have had some great people in my life and am still happy to help anyone seeking advice to this day. I hope my own judgements on myself and others are just what they should be viewed as ......... LESSONS !

Comment

I’m sorry call me what you will but on public land it’s fend for your self, it’s tough work getting on deer let alone a good buck never ever will I put some one in my stand not even my brother ... love em to death but I put in the work to harvest a certain buck I’d like to have the best opportunity to do just that. I will fill people in on public land that I have experience with but I’m not holding a grown mans hand through it. Half the pleasure of hunting is the sweat put into it. The worst part is not showing one person your public land honey hole, it’s the countless other people he may show. A hunting club I may let a close friends take deer out of my set up.

Comment

No good deed goes unpunished. You should consider buying or leasing. Avoid most of that public land nonsense

Comment

Originally posted by Jcjohnson View Post
            I’m sorry call me what you will but on public land it’s fend for your self, it’s tough work getting on deer let alone a good buck never ever will I put some one in my stand not even my brother ... love em to death but I put in the work to harvest a certain buck I’d like to have the best opportunity to do just that. I will fill people in on public land that I have experience with but I’m not holding a grown mans hand through it. Half the pleasure of hunting is the sweat put into it. The worst part is not showing one person your public land honey hole, it’s the countless other people he may show. A hunting club I may let a close friends take deer out of my set up.
            Public land is not for everyone for sure. I admire and respect the guy's that put forth the true efforts on their own and don't just mooch off of the ones trying to help them ! i totally respect anyones right to keep it solo!!!

Comment

You tell one guy about a spot, he tells another, and it grows from there. It's bad with deer but much worse with duck.

I keep telling people about my spot but I haven't seen anyone there yet, hoping to meet some TBH'ers there one day. Best crappie and duck hole I have found and always see good deer on the walk in. 36.644943, 100.081284 are the coordinates

Comment

Originally posted by sbushee View Post
                No good deed goes unpunished. You should consider buying or leasing. Avoid most of that public land nonsense
                I actually love the public land pursuit. Tons of overlooked spots all over Texas.

Comment

I understand the desire and willingness to want to help others. Its admirable. Unfortunately it always seems like the good guys get burned in the end. That being said, I still try to continue to help and guide people in the right direction, but you should also hold some of your cards close to the vest!

I do not understand a hunting buddy/longtime friend of yours no longer speaking to you after someone you were trying to help got sneaky and "poached" one of the deer yall had been working so hard for! Its a deer at the end of the day, friendships and relationships aren't worth losing over a deer! IMO

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
                    You tell one guy about a spot, he tells another, and it grows from there. It's bad with deer but much worse with duck.

I keep telling people about my spot but I haven't seen anyone there yet, hoping to meet some TBH'ers there one day. Best crappie and duck hole I have found and always see good deer on the walk in. 36.644943, 100.081284 are the coordinates
                    LOL,,,, Thats awesome man , love it. Share away

Comment

Do you have a personal plane for use during duck season? that's an awful long way to go to shoot a duck. Or is that the Peking raising pond; would make sense for a "farm to table" concept.

Comment

Originally posted by smithb164 View Post
                        I understand the desire and willingness to want to help others. Its admirable. Unfortunately it always seems like the good guys get burned in the end. That being said, I still try to continue to help and guide people in the right direction, but you should also hold some of your cards close to the vest!

I do not understand a hunting buddy/longtime friend of yours no longer speaking to you after someone you were trying to help got sneaky and "poached" one of the deer yall had been working so hard for! Its a deer at the end of the day, friendships and relationships aren't worth losing over a deer! IMO
                        I agree maybe he wasnt that good of a friend after all i thought he was!
                        the deer being sniped out of my stand wasnt my fault sharing info with a newbie was

Comment

Who told you about that spot? That is my spot, don't be messing with my stuff.

Comment

Past few years I've gone more solo. I relish my company and my wife's company as time goes by, and after 20 years in the military, there are two ways to do something, my way, and my way. I consider myself a nice guy, but evidently some consider me as an ahole. I'll still help anyone that needs it, but you also need to help yourself.

100% exclusively public land.
                            Last edited by Razorback01; 08-01-2018, 01:48 PM. Reason: Added

Comment

Originally posted by sbushee View Post

There aren’t any big deer on public land anyways. [emoji22]

Comment

Working...
                              X