Which feeder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which feeder?

It is now legal in the whole state of Georgia to bait. With that said I’d like to get a couple feeders. Been looking and I’d like to go with a winch up style at least 30 gallons in size. Only things that really matter are reliability and durability. Any one have any recommendations? Or is there something I can fabricate? Like the Moultrie pro magnum hanging feeder and their tree feeder/game winch. But if there is a cheaper just as good system I’m all ears.

I built my last two with 55 gal drums and fabricated the header, hanger, etc. You can do the same buying the supplies. Check out Texas Hunter Products. Everything you need and I have their feeders that are 20 years old and still kicking corn out every day.

Comment

I’m slowly converting all my feeders to Lamco. Save yourself the time and headache by going with Lamco out of the gate.

Comment

My recommendations are 55 gal. (Not 30) and 12v not 6.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
          My recommendations are 55 gal. (Not 30) and 12v not 6.
          This and go with The Timer. I just converted from crank up to Stand & Fill.

Comment

Where can you get the best prices on lamcos?

Comment

12v, high capacity (55-85 gal) and Stand n Fill design is the way to go.

Buy once, cry once and be done!

Comment

Originally posted by mooney_ag View Post
                Where can you get the best prices on lamcos?
                Look online at the Lamco website and it lists all the dealers. Call around because there is definitely a difference in prices. I’ve saved $150 on a feeder just by making a simple phone call. Depending on where your hunting property is there should be something close to you. I’ve bought feeders from a feed store in Junction and a feed store in Menard, much cheaper than what San Angelo had them for. Plus the prices quoted were actually cheaper than MSRP posted on Lamco website.

Comment

Thanks fellas looking at some lamcos now, let the crying begin! what makes the stand and fills better than the winch up?

Comment

Stand and fill vs winch up is a matter of preference.
                    I personally like the stand and fill because the less work to fill the better for me. (Call me lazy) My buddy prefers the winch up mainly because he doesn't like the feeder blocking his view beyond it. No matter your choice I would definitely go with 12v over the 6v. The 12v is more durable and reliable in my opinion.

Comment

Here are two of my stand in fills. The first is a 600# allseason feeder. The second is one I built myself. It's about 1500#s and has allseason timer unit on it. Both are 12v with solar panels. I like the bigger feeders so I don't have to drive to lease as often to feed.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                        I built my last two with 55 gal drums and fabricated the header, hanger, etc. You can do the same buying the supplies. Check out Texas Hunter Products. Everything you need and I have their feeders that are 20 years old and still kicking corn out every day.
                        Quoting myself is a first, but if I had it to do over I would go with the Texas Hunter directional feeders, which are also stand and fill. Almost as cheap as the winch ups, and you can set them in the bushes on the side. Almost as good as hand corning.

Comment

Winch ups require some maintenance. I wouldn’t do 30 gallons either way.
                          They are a little tough to crank up when full to the brim while all the Tim hoping everything holds again

Stand and fills are safe and simple. I do like my tripod Ultramatic if you can back up the truck to fill it.

Comment

I’m realizing that that one feeder isn’t practical for all applications. Have my honey hole on private land that id like to feed year round and limit going in there as much as possible to limit scent and human activity in there. Gonna go with the 500 pound Lamco econo corn feeder in this spot if the shipping doesn’t beat me down too bad. I’m a little concerned about theft At the huntin club I’m on stands, cams and stuff have been stolen in the past. may end up just building one like you suggested dry creek that’s a little more concealed and not as hard to get over if a thief gets me. Definantly going bigger than I was originally planning with a 12 volt battery after all the input. Thanks guys.
                            Last edited by Jcjohnson; 07-28-2018, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jcjohnson View Post
                              I’m realizing that that one feeder isn’t practical for all applications. Have my honey hole on private land that is like to feed year round and limit going in there as much as possible to limit scent and human activity in there. Gonna go with the 500 pound Lamco econo corn feeder in this spot in the shipping doesn’t beat me down too bad. I’m a little concerned about theft At the huntin club I’m on stands, cams and stuff have been may end up just building one like you suggested dry creek that’s a little more concealed and not as hard to get over if a thief gets me. Definantly going bigger than I was originally planning with a 12 volt battery after all the input. Thanks guys.
                              👍

Look at their low and throws too if you haven’t already

Comment

Working...
                              X