Zero fawns the past 4 years in a row

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some additional thoughts....

I think someone mentioned getting rid of the hogs and I agree, the following is from an article on the effects of feral hogs on wildlife. "Not only do feral hogs compete with native wildlife for food, habitat, and space, but hogs also have direct impacts on wildlife populations through predation and direct consumption. Every bite of native food that a hog eats and every fawn that a hog kills takes a little more from the deer herd on your property."

If you have culverts under the fence, have you tried to screen them somehow? I know the purpose is to let water through but could would screen them with cut down hog panels?

On the snares, I know full well the issue of being able to get there on a regular basis to check them. You are right the coons probably knock down as many snares as anything else. Is there a retired neighbor that would could get to check the snares on a regular basis? It would not have to be year round, mainly about the time the fawns hit the ground, until they can care for themselves. It doesn't have to be everyday but once or twice a week would probably be fine. I am fortunate that I have the availability of a state trapper who has been trapping coyotes on my place for over ten years. The issue is because of the territory he covers, he can only come through about every ten days. Before I retired and moved to the ranch, he was catching about 6 per year. Since I retired and check them about every three days, that number has tripled.

Final thought, have you reached out to the Parks and Wildlife Biologist for your area? They can be a great help in assisting you in reaching your goals and it is free to you. There are also private biologists that you can hire. I use a private biologist that I think is one of the best in the business and he has been a tremendous help and well worth the money.

I know all these suggestions may not work and you may have tried some of them already

Good luck to you and keep us posted on the progress.

Comment

Originally posted by deerwatcher51 View Post
      Some additional thoughts....

I think someone mentioned getting rid of the hogs and I agree, the following is from an article on the effects of feral hogs on wildlife. "Not only do feral hogs compete with native wildlife for food, habitat, and space, but hogs also have direct impacts on wildlife populations through predation and direct consumption. Every bite of native food that a hog eats and every fawn that a hog kills takes a little more from the deer herd on your property."

If you have culverts under the fence, have you tried to screen them somehow? I know the purpose is to let water through but could would screen them with cut down hog panels?

On the snares, I know full well the issue of being able to get there on a regular basis to check them. You are right the coons probably knock down as many snares as anything else. Is there a retired neighbor that would could get to check the snares on a regular basis? It would not have to be year round, mainly about the time the fawns hit the ground, until they can care for themselves. It doesn't have to be everyday but once or twice a week would probably be fine. I am fortunate that I have the availability of a state trapper who has been trapping coyotes on my place for over ten years. The issue is because of the territory he covers, he can only come through about every ten days. Before I retired and moved to the ranch, he was catching about 6 per year. Since I retired and check them about every three days, that number has tripled.

Final thought, have you reached out to the Parks and Wildlife Biologist for your area? They can be a great help in assisting you in reaching your goals and it is free to you. There are also private biologists that you can hire. I use a private biologist that I think is one of the best in the business and he has been a tremendous help and well worth the money.

I know all these suggestions may not work and you may have tried some of them already

Good luck to you and keep us posted on the progress.
      Thanks for the great info.

Sounds like objective #1 is kill the 2 hogs
      #2 cover the culverts with hog panel
      #3 snare on a more consistent basis or at least around fawning time / contact a state trapper to help
      #4 get a biologist out to help

Comment

There are coyotes everywhere. I doubt they’d kill ALL the fawns EVERY year. Sounds like something else to me

Comment

No fawns, might just have ugly Does, bucks don't want anything to do with.
          Need to do some trapping.

Comment

Originally posted by bullets13 View Post
            There are coyotes everywhere. I doubt they’d kill ALL the fawns EVERY year. Sounds like something else to me

You haven’t seen the damage they can do on small high fence places.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bullets13 View Post
              4 coyotes could kill every fawn on that place in less than a week and that's if all 12 doe have twins...

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post

This, yote learns quick that fawns are trapped in there too. If yotes are in there 350 acres can be easy ground to cover for them. Two dogs could easily kill 20 fawns over couple weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post

X2.

I would say coyotes 100% and the 2 hogs ain't your problem with losing the fawns. We have a small HF place with fallow axis and bb. The first year we lost EVERY FAWN except for a few axis and I'm talking prob 20-30 fawns the first spring. Set snares and have now trapped 20+ song dogs in a year. We are now in year 3 and this year I doubt we have lost a single fawn and have had prob close to 50+ hit the ground. Haven't caught any coyotes in the past few months and the fawn population has exploded. We still have hogs on our place and they don't mess with the fawns at all.

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
                    Could there be a mineral deficiency problem?
                    This was my first thought. Years ago my dad had several still births in one pasture, after sending off a carcass, there was a zinc deficiency.

Comment

If I read the OP correct...on 376 hf acres...there are 2 does of the orginal 12, 5 bucks and 2 hogs? No repro. Sounds multi faceted.

Comment

You might be able to contact the local high school and offer the local FFA boys an opportunity to hunt the coyotes, hogs and check traps.

Comment

Yotes, my neighbor has about the same size property under high fence.
                          Tons of exotics and whitetails. For 2 or 3 yrs he had 0 fawns survive. Hired a trapper and he trapped 17 yotes off of it last year. Fawns everywhere this year.

Comment

Originally posted by bukkskin View Post

Tons of exotics and whitetails. For 2 or 3 yrs he had 0 fawns survive. Hired a trapper and he trapped 17 yotes off of it last year. Fawns everywhere this year.

This!

Comment

Originally posted by bukkskin View Post
                              I need to do this! Don’t know where to start but I can ask my neighbors if they know any trappers in my area.

Comment

Originally posted by barnag View Post
                                I need to do this! Don’t know where to start but I can ask my neighbors if they know any trappers in my area.
                                What area of central TX are you?

Comment

Working...
                                X