Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What kind of birds are these?

They sure had my chickens nervous

I know it's hard to see. They are not buzzards. Look like some type of hawk maybe. Has anyone seen anything like this? All of a sudden there must have been 60 or more.

In for answers. No help, but that is awesome! Your poor chickens probably need a beer after all that!

Comment

I've seen Mississippi Kites migrate like that but from the video it's hard to tell for sure.

Here's another Youtube video of Mississippi Kites migrating.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8fcK2Y91j8"]154 Migrating Mississippi Kites - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

It's a little early but looks like migrating hawks. There are several species that do it over the next couple months - broadwings or kites maybe?
        Last edited by jerp; 08-24-2018, 03:16 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Froggy;13573330]I've seen Mississippi Kites migrate like that but from the video it's hard to tell for sure.

QUOTE]

Before I watched the video I was expecting it to be Kites because I have seen them like that before but the ones in AC's video didn't appear to have the long tail feathers.

Comment

Looks like swainson hawks getting ready to migrate.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
              Looks like swainson hawks getting ready to migrate.
              This^^^^^.

Comment

Looks like Mississippi Kites. We have a bunch of them in our neighborhood.

Comment

I don't know but cut out the part with the trees and that would make a pretty cool screen saver.

Comment

Originally posted by Bazo View Post
                    I don't know but cut out the part with the trees and that would make a pretty cool screen saver.
                    Good idea

Comment

[quote=AgHntr10;13573338]
                      Originally posted by Froggy View Post
                      I've seen Mississippi Kites migrate like that but from the video it's hard to tell for sure.

QUOTE]

Before I watched the video I was expecting it to be Kites because I have seen them like that before but the ones in AC's video didn't appear to have the long tail feathers.

They didn't have long tail feathers. At least not long enough to notice.

Comment

All kinds of hawks will gather together like this as they migrate. If you could get a closer zoom shot, you can tell. Might be Swainson's, probably not kites. What's fun is to be shredding a corn field when these things come through an watch them drop out of the sky like rain.

Comment

I think the last part of the video is some kind of organisms viewed under a microscope. I was thinking kites before I watched the video. I think you would have seen more lighter colored ones had it been kites. The males are a light gray/white color on their underside. Kites will make a high pitched "pee poo" sound. Not sure what it is, but I'm thinking it's not kites.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

I never heard these make a sound

Comment

I saw several flying together the other day. They were a very dark color and a medium to small sized raptor. I could not ID them either.

Comment

Working...
                              X