Video Equipment I Use for Self-Filmed Hunts - TBH Video Journal 27

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by horns07 View Post
    The reason I'm sold on a DSLR so much is for the versatility. I really don't want to haul 2 cameras around while hunting. One to take pictures the other to video with. Most of my hunts will be either with someone or setup in a blind. So set up I don't think will be a problem. I should also say I'm like Michael all my stuff will be for my enjoyment and some YouTube stuff.

So for the big question if you had 1000-1200 to spend on a setup what would it be? I know that's not a lot for a good camera setup but it's what I will be working with. I've been looking at the Nikon 5600. But I'll be honest I'm not real familiar with the DSLR setup and what all you need to look for in a camera. This will be a learning step. Thanks for y alls help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nikons make a really good product. A lot of people don't know that Nikon were the first to do video on dslrs, they just didn't advertise it like Canon. If you want a one and done type of camera then look at any of the camcorders that shoot in 1080p and most if now all will allow you to take stills while shooting.

If you're going the dslr route then get the Nikon with the Tokina 11-16. It's a slightly costly lens but is cheaper then then Nikon $1,100 11-16. lol I wouldn't buy a kit lens unless the cost is the same. Usually can buy camera body only and then invest in one other decent lens like the Tokina. https://youtu.be/y1JGQ8TtEO0

Comment

[QUOTE=HdFilmmaker;12216233]Nikons make a really good product. A lot of people don't know that Nikon were the first to do video on dslrs, they just didn't advertise it like Canon. If you want a one and done type of camera then look at any of the camcorders that shoot in 1080p and most if now all will allow you to take stills while shooting.

If you're going the dslr route then get the Nikon with the Tokina 11-16. It's a slightly costly lens but is cheaper then then Nikon $1,100 11-16. lol I wouldn't buy a kit lens unless the cost is the same. Usually can buy camera body only and then invest in one other decent lens like the Tokina.

Awesome thanks. That's a awesome video to. What Nikon do you suggest? If I go the Nikon route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HdFilmmaker View Post
        The other cool thing about shooting in 4k that people forget about is the ability to "punch in". Taking footage into an editor and zooming in on your video is doable in 4k not so much in 1080. That is if you do any post to your vids.

Absolutely! If you have the horses to handle 4K editing, it's fantastic! I filmed much of my "Drill One at 33" video last year in 4K and was able to punch in and also add camera "motion" to a self filmed, static shot (A lot of people were intrigued at how I was able to "pan" my reverse angle GoPro to follow the fleeing deer immediately after the shot! ) Most of that was filmed with my wife's Panasonic camcorder since my Canon was in the shop for repair.

I just think 4k should be low on the list of priorities when evaluating camera features for filming hunts for web delivery, especially for anybody on a limited budget that likely won't ever use the camera for paid work. Low light capability, optical zoom, quality LCD/viewfinder, good autofocus, sensor size/quality, frame rate options, wi-fi (for me) and other features would be higher on my priority list than 4K. That said, I love having 4K on my Sony, Osmo, Hero 4 and wife's Panny!
        My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by HdFilmmaker View Post
          Nikons make a really good product. A lot of people don't know that Nikon were the first to do video on dslrs, they just didn't advertise it like Canon. If you want a one and done type of camera then look at any of the camcorders that shoot in 1080p and most if now all will allow you to take stills while shooting.

If you're going the dslr route then get the Nikon with the Tokina 11-16. It's a slightly costly lens but is cheaper then then Nikon $1,100 11-16. lol I wouldn't buy a kit lens unless the cost is the same. Usually can buy camera body only and then invest in one other decent lens like the Tokina. https://youtu.be/y1JGQ8TtEO0

I have this lens in EF mount and it's a fantastic lens. It's for APS-C sensor, but will work at the longer end in full frame (or I can switch the Sony to APS-C mode.) Thanks for the reminder that I need to spend a little more time with that lens!
          My Flickr Photos

Comment

Thanks for sharing. Awesome information.

Comment

Viedo equipment I use for self hunts

great video with a lot of info.

Comment

Awesome thanks. That's a awesome video to. What Nikon do you suggest? If I go the Nikon route.

Nikon, I'd look at the D750. If budget might be an issue then look at the D610 it has a full frame sensor like the 750. The D750 has some of the best sensor pixel on any camera. Your images will blow you away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Comment

i cant wait to see your review on the Sony a7sii. im particularly intersted in the high iso and low light video recording. i would also like to hear your recommendatioms on lens for low low light videoing......other lens i was thinking about. not for low light situations was the FE 70 - 300 mm F4.5 - 5.6 G OSS and the EPZ 18 - 105 mm F4 G OSS.

also had my eye on the new Sony RX 10 III but i dont think it would take the low low light video im looking for for hog hunting under a red light. your thoughts ??????

Posted from Texasbowhunter.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by Problem Child View Post
                    i cant wait to see your review on the Sony a7sii. im particularly intersted in the high iso and low light video recording. i would also like to hear your recommendatioms on lens for low low light videoing......other lens i was thinking about. not for low light situations was the FE 70 - 300 mm F4.5 - 5.6 G OSS and the EPZ 18 - 105 mm F4 G OSS.

also had my eye on the new Sony RX 10 III but i dont think it would take the low low light video im looking for for hog hunting under a red light. your thoughts ??????

I'm not really familiar RX10 series. It appears to be a fixed lens camera with large aperture (f2.8) lens. I'm not sure how the sensor handles low light.

Generally, the larger the aperture (smaller f-stop number) the better light gathering capability. Because of the usable ISO range on the A7s cameras, you can conceivably get away with slightly narrower aperture f4 instead of f2.8, for example) but faster is obviously better when it comes to low light. I also prefer a fixed aperture over the entire focal length rather than variable.

Zoom ranges will depend on your usage. If you're filming inside normal bow ranges, a shorter zoom will work in most cases. If you're wanting to get good video or photos at a longer distance, then you'll want a lens capable of reaching out a little farther.

I've only tested my A7sii a couple of times with the red light, but it (with 24-70/4) handled it well. I was able to crank up the ISO to focus on the hog without the light (actually I couldn't see it with my eye!) and then back it back down for the red light.

Here is a video illustrating it that I took a few days after I purchased the camera.

My Flickr Photos

Comment

that is amazing video with the lighting you had. im liking the a7s ii more with every review i see about it. it's great to have some one like you who uses the camera much the same as i would and be able to see your reviews. keep up the good work.

Comment

I found one of your pictures you left out of the thread.. All seriousness, you have the camera scene covered. Some of the best stuff I have seen. Having knee surgery gives you alot of time to spend useless amount of time on this kind of stuff..

Click image for larger version

Name:	Killing tree.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	24486130

Comment

Originally posted by Krivoman View Post
                          I found one of your pictures you left out of the thread.. All seriousness, you have the camera scene covered. Some of the best stuff I have seen. Having knee surgery gives you alot of time to spend useless amount of time on this kind of stuff..

[ATTACH]842970[/ATTACH]
                          LOL! Nice! The next edition will include a cameo of a hunter that shot a buck from a Krivoblind!
                          My Flickr Photos

Comment

outstanding. I was thinking how far we have come in cam game from vhs/ 8mm mini dv etc. you have always had more toys than the rest. I do like how well your still camera works for video.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Great thread Michael, may be on my list of stuff for next year.

Comment

Working...
                              X