About to start SAFD Fire Academy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Start date is January 22. I'm excited but nervous too. All I've heard is how tough it is. Can any of you guys give me some details on what to expect? For guys that have been through one, is there anything you really enjoyed in the academy? Thanks.

I’ve been through two academies, San Jac and HFD. They were both fun to me, you’ll come across some tough moments but as long as u carry a no quit mentality you’ll do just fine. I quit HFD after 3 years for a better paying job but God I miss it every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I went thru it in 1975. Its a lot more "military bootcamp" style now. Cant be all that tough though. Girls make it through. Good luck.

Comment

Congrats man! I graduated FWFD academy this summer. Some of it was difficult but it was a lot of fun. You will make a lot of good buddies. If you ever fill like it’s too hard, just keep at it. After you graduate, the job is awesome!!!

Comment

Just keep telling yourself this is your one shot. That will help through those really tough days.
          When you get an assignment to a station you will realize reality is nothing like the academy.
          Best job in the world so enjoy it

Comment

I retired from Houston Fire after 30 years as a Captain, just study, listen, work hard and NEVER GIVE UP! IT'S THE BEST JOB IN THE WORLD! Just keep telling your self you can do this and keep your mouth shut and work harder tHan the guy next to you and you will succeed. Good luck my future Brothet.
            Last edited by TSFiredog; 01-04-2018, 07:20 PM.

Comment

I put myself through rookie school and loved it all but really enjoyed ropes. I still enjoy when we get to go over the side of the tower. Keep a strong mind, don't quite and keep ur ears open/mouth shut. Always be the first one up when something needs to be done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the great words. I appreciate it.

Comment

Good luck amigo!

Comment

You can do it brotha, fire academy was one of the most fun and yet challenging things I’ve done. You’ll make buddies that will last forever. Don’t give up because the best Job in the world is waiting on the other side. Gotta find it in your heart to finish it out.

Comment

It's funny how I see multiple guys on here saying the academy was "fun." You won't find many (if any) cops saying the academy was fun. And, you can be sure they've taken the fun out of the job.

Comment

Congrats to you! Keep your head straight, and work hard. Good luck!
                        I'll probably see you at uthsc when you go through emt school. I'm there now in the ems class. Congrats again!
                        Btw: if you aren't working out regularly get on it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good Luck! You can make it through!

Comment

Do what your told, be respectful, follow orders and all will be fine. The one's that seem to have a problem are the one's that are clowns or know it alls. Good Luck you will enjoy it.

Comment

Congrats! Work hard and always be willing to do more. You’ll make friends for life, but also remember the name you make for yourself starts now and will carry w/ you from here on out. Have fun, learn as much as you can and welcome to the greatest job in the world.

Comment

Working...
                              X