Think I'm going to buy a new truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Think I'm going to buy a new truck

Thinking of buying a Nissan Titan XD, had an 06 Titan and drove it for 10 years with no problems. Only trailer's I pull is 12' for the ranger and a 16' stock trailer. Trying to decide between gas and diesel. In for responses!

Gas will save you money if you don't need the diesel. Diesel might be better if you put a lot of miles goin back and forth to the ranch all year. Definitely if you plan on pulling a RV at any point I'd go with the diesel. Not that a gas can't pull it's just so much nicer with the diesel.

If money is not an issue I'd def go the diesel just because of the versatility.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadEyeB View Post
      Gas will save you money if you don't need the diesel. Diesel might be better if you put a lot of miles goin back and forth to the ranch all year. Definitely if you plan on pulling a RV at any point I'd go with the diesel. Not that a gas can't pull it's just so much nicer with the diesel.

If money is not an issue I'd def go the diesel just because of the versatility.
      But in saying the diesel is better, is the smaller cummins in the Nissans that much stronger? I know nothing about them so I am truly curious.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
        But in saying the diesel is better, is the smaller cummins in the Nissans that much stronger? I know nothing about them so I am truly curious.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The Cummins engine in the Titan is rated at over 500 ft lbs and a little over 300 hp. So basically, the diesel vs the gas engine is like comparing a small block vs a big block for towing. The diesel will pull better and at lower engine speeds too. But, you will pay a premium for the diesel and you’ll pay more for maintenance on the diesel too. Resale value will be higher on the diesel but this only comes into play if you won’t be keeping it for long.

Comment

Driving a 2017 Titan Pro4X for over a year and loving it. Only trailer I pull is a 12' pipe with a drop gate. MPG has been over 18 on hwy but normal is 16.5 around town. I had no need for the diesel anymore.

Comment

Get a GMC Denali and you will love the 6.2 liter gas engine. It can do some work!!

Comment

My coworker purchased a brand new 2016 Titan w/diesel engine. He had it 4 months and traded for a F250 w/diesel engine.

He said the Titan suckked pulling his 21 ft rv. The hill country ate the Titans lunch. F250 pulls like a bat out of helllll

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Comment

my buddy got the xd diesel with an in bed extra tank and feeder line I drove from new mexico all the way back to corpus on one fill up- Gas mileage was great and the truck is a beast when you need it.. pulled his toy hauler up the mountains with ease
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by kingranch; 12-15-2017, 08:44 AM.

Comment

I don't have any first hand experience with the Titan and Cummins but a neighbor had one and said it pulled his bass boat fine but had serious front end issues and dumped it after 14k miles. Spent a total of 73 days in the shop in the 8 months he owned it.

Comment

Post #7 & #9 are dang near polar opposite experiences.
                      Makes you wonder if the two trucks referred to had different gearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Our "work truck" is a newer F350 that is a work edition. We will NEVER do that again. The truck is a waste. We needed a truck to move smaller dozers, tractors, ect. I had NO interest in the larger gas motors and still don't. The few people I know using them cuss the milage and are not able to pull the weights we do with the weak 350. I am used to the older real Cummins before our EPA F'd them up. real trucks with real motors. Not computers. The next work rig we get will be a diesel, but probably not the Ford. I have no opinion on what you asked on the Titan, but wanted to share my experience with the 350.
                        My current do all is a Chevy Colorado with the Duramax. For a little truck it has LOTS of Guts, but it definitely is not for any real loads. Great milage as in town getting 26 and Hwy getting 28-29. I tugged the 350 out yesterday morning when it got stuck in a mud hole. (pond dam leaking and did not know it until front end dropped.) Within reason I am planning a few more tests with this truck.

Comment

My buddy has one and drags his JD 650 with no problems. He did some work for me at my camp about 2 weeks ago, pulled the dozer 70 MPH 96 miles.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Comment

Might as well buy new now with how high used prices are...

Comment

I drive the gasser Pro 4X4 on a daily basis and love it...

Comment

Working...
                              X