Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-01-2018, 05:58 PM   #1
Jayt22
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cracka county
Default New to hog hunting

I have a ton of questions. First off Iím not new to hunting but never been into hog hunting until just recently, i have baited areas with just hand corn and have pics at night but no real time pattern . Does a person use a ďpig callĒ or just sit and wait? I donít have a motion light up but i do have a pig tube out and figured i would just shine the light from my bow when i hear them come in. Iíve only been out twice and both times no success, wind was right and and i put some serious time sitting in the stand first sit was 5hrs and last sit was 7....,super confused . I know you donít see somthing every time out but i didnít even hear a pig anywhere. Thatís another thing are pigs super vocal coming in or are they quiet? Any info much appreciated
Jayt22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 06:04 PM   #2
BLACKFINTURKEY
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion,Texas

For me they are never consistent. Give it time and you can start seeing a small pattern usually. I use a motion light it helps a lot. Good luck!
BLACKFINTURKEY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 06:21 PM   #3
4R Daddy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ranger

Good luck patterning. They are nomadic creatures. Just feed and wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
4R Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 06:32 PM   #4
Leon County Slayer
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Camo (Leon County) - Knifemaker<><

Someone's they're loud and other times they sneak in. I know that helps! If you feed a lot and consistently, you might develop a pattern. Hand corning will bring them in but you may not see them. Let the fun begin!. We always saw them right at dark or right after
Leon County Slayer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 06:32 PM   #5
Fishingguyrlp
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Texas, Georgia

When i do hog hunt its more eradication then hunting, however run dogs if you can,bait if you cant but remember this. Hi cap mags no less then a .223 but most importantly CARRY A SIDEARM(not yelling) .357,.45 seriously dont try to be super macho and go out bow only hogs can and will hurt you real bad i have taken hogs by bow but always have had someone with us with a rifle
Fishingguyrlp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 06:52 PM   #6
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

My experience with hogs, and I wish I knew nothing about them, is this: Hogs are where you find them. They can be consistently inconsistent. The only thing that makes them somewhat patternable where I hunt is that we've noticed that they (some of the time) follow about a three day schedule. My buddy took about two months worth of trail cam pics, put them on a spreadsheet, and came up with that. If you have a cell cam, it's useful, if not, then you just know what happened and not what's happening.

The best way to kill them on my place is to pour out three or four corn piles that you can come into with a couple of different winds and shoot them with NV. We use a golf cart to slip around without noise, but we're not hunting hogs for fun as much as just trying to kill the bastages. If you're hunting for fun and can only hunt weekends, you just need to persevere. You'll get lucky sooner or later.

The most important thing IMO to consider is your wind. Small, dumb hogs are fairly easy, but older hogs will get the wind on your setup and they'll know you're there before they get close enough to kill with a bow. Good luck !

Edit: I reread your post and when you say the wind was right I know it was from your perspective but a big hog will circle the bait well away until he can smell what's there besides corn. If you're bowhunting, you're busted and may not even know it. I highly recommend an enclosed blind with an Ozonics unit. I have proved to my satisfaction that this will work on hogs more times than not.

Last edited by Drycreek3189; 01-01-2018 at 06:57 PM.
Drycreek3189 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 06:55 PM   #7
CoachStanton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Punkin Center, TX

Do some searches on here for soured corn recipes. Bait regularly for several weeks. Bury the corn so they have to work to eat it. Thatís about the only way Iíve ever been able to get them on a pattern. Keep a camera on it and good luck!

CoachStanton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 07:09 PM   #8
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

You on private property/lease? Or somewhere else? Lots of ways to do it, and be successful. And they can be patterned to an extent. I've had them waiting on me to be fed, at 2PM before.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 07:28 PM   #9
mikemorvan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: vetements noirs

Bullets in ear holes. Kill all you can for the betterment of society.
mikemorvan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 07:35 PM   #10
Big pig
Ten Point

Hunt In: Goliad and Leon Co.

We have feeders but kill most along the baited roads. Long straight stretches baited for a few days in a row. I have found the biggest boars are the most nocturnal and usual just show up alone. Breeding groups can be very loud however and easy to stalk.
I don’t have the patience to sit at a feeder in the daylight and wait for pigs because I have been disappointed too many times. At night with a lit feeder is the highest % Hunt.
Been killing them for years. Yet to have a dangerous encounter.

Pistol is nice to dispatch wounded pigs however.
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 08:10 PM   #11
axisbuck
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lampasas

Lot of big time hog hunters on here will chime in like Skinny/fishindude. But here are a few things that have worked for me on my place.
1. Feeders will help get them in some kinda pattern esp if you throw early evening and another throw an hr or two into dark. Consistent feeding develops some kinda consistent pattern.
2. Game cams should tell you a pattern when and where to hunt. Use them to get some kinda idea
3. Typically full moon nights with feeder light/gun/bow light works great. Red light esp that comes on at dusk and stays on seems to spook then less.
4. They will disappear for a little while when pressured or shot at. Dont worry they will be back.
axisbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 08:14 PM   #12
Jayt22
Ten Point

I bait once a week for the past 3 months, i have been getting them on cam at night 95% of the time . But times range from 11-4.there are a few pics at dusk and I’ve only had a handful of morning pics. How does coyote activity affect hog activity ? If the hogs smell coyotes are they out of there or can they be in same area? I know common sense tells me that hogs want to stay away from the coyotes but i honestly don’t have a clue. I know right at sun down the coyotes sounded strong and it sounded as if there were multiple packs. Thought maybe that would have scared them off. Or what about high water levels ? There is a creek about a 1/2 mile away from me and it’s super full right now would that prevent the hogs from normal travel?
Old 01-01-2018, 08:18 PM   #13
BLACKFINTURKEY
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion,Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayt22 View Post
I bait once a week for the past 3 months, i have been getting them on cam at night 95% of the time . But times range from 11-4.there are a few pics at dusk and Iíve only had a handful of morning pics. How does coyote activity affect hog activity ? If the hogs smell coyotes are they out of there or can they be in same area? I know common sense tells me that hogs want to stay away from the coyotes but i honestly donít have a clue. I know right at sun down the coyotes sounded strong and it sounded as if there were multiple packs. Thought maybe that would have scared them off. Or what about high water levels ? There is a creek about a 1/2 mile away from me and itís super full right now would that prevent the hogs from normal travel?
Looks like you have the pattern 11-4. I donít think the care about coyotes to much hogs are pretty aggressive. I think you should start feeding a different location maybe you can get closer to their bedding grounds.
BLACKFINTURKEY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 08:20 PM   #14
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Yotes are the ones that better stay away from a mature hog, or sow. No match for one.

But they will eat the carcass or gut pile if given half a chance.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:21 PM   #15
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Pigs do swim by the way.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:33 PM   #16
Jayt22
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
Looks like you have the pattern 11-4. I donít think the care about coyotes to much hogs are pretty aggressive. I think you should start feeding a different location maybe you can get closer to their bedding grounds.
I will start diff location and put more cameras out
Old 01-01-2018, 08:48 PM   #17
talleywack97
Ten Point

Hunt In: Out East a bit

Bury some soured corn, like 2 feet dwn. If ur ate up with em itll keep em there longer an bring em bk. My pig/deer ratio is a solid 20 to 1. But i dont wanna run em off just cause i have a great target environment. I shot 2 boars last fri. Within 20 min. Of each other
talleywack97 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 09:23 PM   #18
spread5150
Eight Point

Hunt In: West Texas, East Texas, Central Texas, South Texas

10pm or 4 am. They seem to show up at these times at my east Texas place. They play the night since no ones likes them. Sometimes you can hear them coming for a mile. Sometimes they just pop up. Especially the loan big ones. I have seen them move across the field run 4/5 steps stop and listen and repeat. I get in the stand at dusk. Sit till 10 or 11. I usually get one a night or two a night. They scatter when I bust the first one. I jump down cut across a field and get in my second stand. They show up there and I get another.
spread5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 09:46 PM   #19
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

I have cams at both my hog feeders, and when I pull the cards, I mark the times they are there on an Excel spreadsheet---after a week, it is easy to tell when to be in the stand.
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 11:17 PM   #20
kd350
Ten Point

Hunt In: Reagan wells, fedor, paige, rocksprings

During deer season I’ve found they are more sporatic, both daylight and night; they still come every night but very inconsistent times. My theory is that they get more pressure from everyone deer hunting. Another thing I’ve also noticed that my pigs become More consistent during daylight in the summer, my guess is that everyone else turns their feeders off so they flock to ours. Once summer hits they will be on camera morning and evening

I’ve never had them come to hand corn enough for me to want to hunt it, best luck is with feeders.
kd350 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-01-2018, 11:43 PM   #21
Tex
Ten Point

Killing hogs at feeders is harder that killing them when they are in a normal feed pattern.

I kill a lot of pigs but i do most of it by spot and stalk. Spot them, get the wind right and quietly sneak in. You can get away with a lot as long as they don't smell you.
If you have them coming in to a feeder in a regular basis and they don't "Show up" when you hunt it's because they are winding you before you ever see them.

If you want to try and hunt them at feeders over the summer set up your feeders for hog hunting. Meaning put the feeder on the north side of the wood line you expect them to come in from and then put your stand north of the feeder. If you can have a big open pasture north of your stand that is even better.

Tex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2018, 11:32 AM   #22
gonehuntin68
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Victoria county

Every place I've leased and hunted hogs I've had them very consistent at my feeders.

First you need to make sure they are getting a decent amount to eat each night, if you don't do that they will generally not be consistent. All my feeders throw from 10-12 seconds at dark and 10-12 seconds a hour after dark. Pigs are going to find and continue to hit a feeder first when they know they are going to get a decent meal at it. Pretty much all of my 19 feeders get hit within the first hour after dark.

Next you have to keep the pressure down. I don't hunt any feeders more then once every two weeks and some go a lot longer. I have 19 feeders so it's not hard for me to keep the pressure down.

Pigs will pattern better when it's not deer season. They tend to get thrown off their patterns during deer season with all the traffic in the woods and all the feeders running. A lot of people don't run feeders in the off season and this makes them more consistent at the feeders that are throwing especially ones that feed a lot at night.

As Tex mentioned, The best setup for hogs is to have a big open area behind you with the feeder in front of you right next to good cover as this will also help keep the wind from swirling. Pigs always feel safer coming to a feeder through the cover even at night and this will keep them upwind of you. The wind is critical and if it's not right your chances of killing a pig is slim to none. Also the big advantage of your stand basically being out in the open is that the wind will be consistent because it doesn't have any tree's or brush to make it swirl. If you set up in river bottoms or in heavy tree's or brush your going to get a lot of swirling winds and you wont have much luck due to swirling winds.
gonehuntin68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2018, 01:24 PM   #23
Brad96
Four Point

Hunt In: Normangee, TX & Tishomingo, OK
Default Hog Seasonality

I have a corn feeder that runs year-round. For some reason, the game cam shows a LOT more hog activity at the feeder in the summer time than winter (I have an Excel spreadsheet). In July, they come almost every night. In December, it's rare to see hogs at the feeder at all. I'm not scaring them off during deer season by hunting, because we don't hunt deer on this property. The neighbors do, though, so that might have an effect.
Brad96 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2018, 02:28 PM   #24
Balcones_Walker
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustoffer View Post
I have cams at both my hog feeders, and when I pull the cards, I mark the times they are there on an Excel spreadsheet---after a week, it is easy to tell when to be in the stand.
I do this too. It's a lot of work with 5+ cams but over a long period of time you can pull some really interesting data.
Balcones_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2018, 02:34 PM   #25
WhiskeyTango
Ten Point

Hunt In: N/A
Thumbs up Gotta have the hex

A bunch of good info these guys are giving. I agree with em all except you gotta have a HEX SUIT on! Gets you right up in the action without them even knowing you are there!

Good luck!
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2018, 05:44 PM   #26
Tex
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
Every place I've leased and hunted hogs I've had them very consistent at my feeders.

First you need to make sure they are getting a decent amount to eat each night, if you don't do that they will generally not be consistent. All my feeders throw from 10-12 seconds at dark and 10-12 seconds a hour after dark. Pigs are going to find and continue to hit a feeder first when they know they are going to get a decent meal at it. Pretty much all of my 19 feeders get hit within the first hour after dark.

Next you have to keep the pressure down. I don't hunt any feeders more then once every two weeks and some go a lot longer. I have 19 feeders so it's not hard for me to keep the pressure down.

Pigs will pattern better when it's not deer season. They tend to get thrown off their patterns during deer season with all the traffic in the woods and all the feeders running. A lot of people don't run feeders in the off season and this makes them more consistent at the feeders that are throwing especially ones that feed a lot at night.

As Tex mentioned, The best setup for hogs is to have a big open area behind you with the feeder in front of you right next to good cover as this will also help keep the wind from swirling. Pigs always feel safer coming to a feeder through the cover even at night and this will keep them upwind of you. The wind is critical and if it's not right your chances of killing a pig is slim to none. Also the big advantage of your stand basically being out in the open is that the wind will be consistent because it doesn't have any tree's or brush to make it swirl. If you set up in river bottoms or in heavy tree's or brush your going to get a lot of swirling winds and you wont have much luck due to swirling winds.

This guy had forgotten more about killing hogs over a feeder than most people will ever know. Listen to his advice. Also contact him and get a Sniper Hog Light if you don't have one already. I've tried a lot of lights and they are the best on the market.

Tex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-02-2018, 06:10 PM   #27
Jayt22
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonehuntin68 View Post

There are two kids that deer hunt out there and they seriously donít have a clue, they walk all over the place in street clothes hauling corn out. There stand is a good 200 yards away from mine but for some reason they think they need to walk by my stand every time. I know that is a big problem right there . And i donít have a feeder yet so thatís why Iím just doing the hand corn thing, i thought the hog tube was goin to be the trick but i just checked my cameras today and i havnt has a hog on it since dec19........ Iím goin to get a feeder and put it out the day after deer season with a motion light on it. Isnít it better to get a taller feeder rather then a short legged one? Is the only Benoit for a short leg feeder just easier to fill?
Old 01-02-2018, 06:13 PM   #28
sharkhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

Get them on a timed feeder and put out a camera with the time and date set right and see if you can get a pattern on them.
sharkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2018, 02:39 AM   #29
Jayt22
Ten Point

What feeders should i stay away from?
Old 01-03-2018, 06:43 AM   #30
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayt22 View Post
What feeders should i stay away from?
Anything 6 volt
Anything with WGI written on it
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2018, 08:47 AM   #31
Gary Roberson
Eight Point

In my opinion, the only fun way to hunt a hog is with dogs. I know that many think that it is total chaos but if done with good dogs and hunters that know what they are doing, it is actually pretty orderly. One, you need broke dogs that are trained to find and bay up the hogs and then lead the catch dogs into the bay. Once the hogs are caught, you move in and catch the hog/hogs by the hind legs and then stab them in the heart with a long bladed knife by entering behind the front leg. The reason for using the knife is so that you do not risk injury from a bullet as dogs are going to be all over the hog.
While sitting over bait can be productive, it is also extremely boring.
Adios,
Gary
Gary Roberson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-03-2018, 09:37 AM   #32
2014FusionM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jack county, bailey county

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishndude View Post
Anything 6 volt
Anything with WGI written on it
I have had really good luck with my Sunslinger 6v. going on three years now and still throwing corn 20ft from the feeder. I have not had to change the battery either in the last three years.

I am building a second feeder for hogs this year that is a winch up. hopefully it will do the trick.
2014FusionM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top