Viability of 6MM Creedmoor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Viability of 6MM Creedmoor

Do y'all think it will catch fire commercially like the 6.5? It looks like a great little round, just worried it will go the way of the coo-coo and the 25 WSSM....

I bet itll stick around. Marketing has made the 6.5 boom and I see the same with the 6. Ill end up with one for target shooting.

Comment

Is it not a slightly faster 243?

With marketing it will probably do well like the 6.5CM as it's just a .260rem

edit: actually 243 case holds more powder. Only factory loads are faster. So what's the point?
      Last edited by JustinJ; 01-01-2018, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Better ballistic coefficient than .243 so longer shots will "slip" the wind better.

Comment

Originally posted by Preacher Man View Post
          Better ballistic coefficient than .243 so longer shots will "slip" the wind better.
          It's the same bullet....How could it have a better BC?

Comment

huh

Comment

Thinking Preacher Man is confused. The 6mmCM factory barrels are probably twisted faster to shoot the heavier .243 bullets. Most factory .243 rifles are twisted for bullets up to 100grs. I think the Ruger precision model is a fast twisted .243 Win.

In the end it's about the LR craze and marketing it.
              Last edited by sendit; 01-01-2018, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
                Is it not a slightly faster 243?

With marketing it will probably do well like the 6.5CM as it's just a .260rem

edit: actually 243 case holds more powder. Only factory loads are faster. So what's the point?
                The vast majority don’t reload so there’s that.

I think it will do good but probably not as good as 6.5cm. The 6.5 filled a void with a good selection of match and hunting ammo available unlike the 260. The 243 has tons of ammo out so it’s a harder sale IMO

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
                  Thinking Preacher Man is confused. The 6mmCM factory barrels are probably twisted faster to shoot the heavier .243 bullets.
                  aren't .243 barrels made to shoot 100gr bullets? Thats why the 6mm died. They had barrels for varmint weights but guys were trying to shoot deer weights unsuccessfully.

I dont thin a 6mmCM is made to shoot anything other than a 100 grain(fish) pill

Comment

Originally posted by sendit View Post
                    Thinking Preacher Man is confused. The 6mmCM factory barrels are probably twisted faster to shoot the heavier .243 bullets.
                    Don't know about barrel twist rate. Might be confused about this, I thought the 6CM was a longer bullet, thus the higher BC???

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                      The vast majority don’t reload so there’s that.

I think it will do good but probably not as good as 6.5cm. The 6.5 filled a void with a good selection of match and hunting ammo available unlike the 260. The 243 has tons of ammo out so it’s a harder sale IMO
                      true, but companies other than hornady would start to load LR bullets in 243 to kill the 6CM, no?

Hornady is the only large manufacturer loading the 6CM now, and they (of course ) don't load the same bullets as they do in 243.

Comment

Yes, the 6mm Remington died because of the goofy barrel twist rates.

Comment

Don't know about barrel twist rate. Might be confused about this, I thought the 6CM was a longer bullet, thus the higher BC???
                          You can load a longer bullet to fit into an AR10 action that you couldn't with a .243, true. But a .243 is a 6mm is a .243. They use the same bullet.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
                            true, but companies other than hornady would start to load LR bullets in 243 to kill the 6CM, no?

Hornady is the only large manufacturer loading the 6CM now, and they (of course ) don't load the same bullets as they do in 243.
                            Honestly no. Other companies have got so lazy and complacent they won’t react until its too late then they’ll have to produce 6cm ammo. All just my opinion of course but they sure didnt step up their 260 game

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                              Honestly no. Other companies have got so lazy and complacent they won’t react until its too late then they’ll have to produce 6cm ammo. All just my opinion of course but they sure didnt step up their 260 game
                              agreed. but 260 was long ago

Comment

Working...
                              X