Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-25-2017, 12:22 PM   #51
lbbf
Ten Point

I love my Tundra. Everyone who rides in it seems to like it as well.
lbbf is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2017, 12:29 PM   #52
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantcatch5 View Post
If you decide you want a Ford but donít really want to step up to the Lariat you can get an XLT with the large screen in the dash and bucket seats (have to look a little to find one) and put in aftermarket leather. It is a way better quality seat skin for a lot less money. A friend of mine had that done and then he seats are way nicer than anything the factory has to offer in my opinion.
Yep get the xlt premium then get aftermarket leather and save a fortune.
txwhitetail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2017, 12:39 PM   #53
Live2Hunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coalgate Oklahoma

I have owned 6 F150s (was friends with the fleet sales boss) and every one of them failed me somehow during and out of warranty.

My wife bought me a 2011 Tundra and I am still driving it at almost 100k miles. The only replaced parts are front brake pads and tires. Seriously drives like new and I am hard on trucks. This is a daily commuter and hunting truck.

Do not listen to reviews to make your decision. Go drive the trucks and maybe even borrow or rent one if you can.

I am already planning my next Tundra, but I have two girls in college and quite frankly I will upgrade when my 2011 gives me a reason to.

FYI: After driving my Tundra, my hunting buddies: 2 chevy owners and 1 ford owner, upgraded to a Tundra.

My girl...
Name:  tundra.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  36.5 KB
Live2Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2017, 12:39 PM   #54
LightFoot
Nubbin' Buck

I just went through the same dilemma. I really like the Tundra and I have had 4 Toyotas over the years. The Tundra is great but I see more value in the F150. My brother and sister also have F150 supercrews, one has the 2.7 and one has the 3.5.

The 10 speed and 5.0 are a great combinatuon for '18. That's what I went with in a Lariat.

Good luck with your decision.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
LightFoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2017, 11:29 AM   #55
BoneDigger
Pope & Young

I appreciate the great replies. I've decided to hold off on a purchase for now. The Tundra and Silverado are supposed to undergo a fairly major overhaul this year. If I could get an updated Tundra with a 10 speed tranny and better gas mileage, I'd probably go that route.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
BoneDigger is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2017, 11:52 AM   #56
Gary Roberson
Eight Point

We have nothing but F-150's, three now and dozens in the past. All with the 3.5 Ecoboost on these three and get good mileage and put them in rougher country than any of you will ever go into. I normally put close to 200 K on them before trading and have little to no problems except keeping them shod.
Ford jumped way ahead of the competition when GM and Dodge were having their financial problems.
Adios,
Gary
Gary Roberson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2017, 12:08 PM   #57
Shane77624
Ten Point

I'd hold out for the 2019 Chevrolets (sharpest looking truck in a long while) or the revamp of the Dodge Rams in 2019. They are both making huge strides in appearance.
Shane77624 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2017, 01:15 PM   #58
Daniel75
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Red River County & Atoka Co Oklahoma

I see youíve decided to hold out, I donít blame you. I recently bought a 2018 Tundra and had a little bit of buyerís remorse when I saw the 2019 Silverado. I love my Tundra and everyone who has ridden in it loves it as well. Super roomy and drives great, I expect it to go 300K+ if I wanna keep it that long. The plan is to pay it off in 5 years and use that to buy another one with much lower payments. If you donít haul things at the upper edge of the Tundraís towing limits, the other trucks who can pull more are kind of negated. Bells and whistles donít impress me as much as reliability and how it drives. Everyone I know who has a Tundra says itís just as smooth now as it was when they bought it and the ride quality is amazing for a truck. The gas mileage is the only negative for me at this point.

But she sure is pretty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Daniel75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2017, 01:25 PM   #59
12RingKing
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Grocery Store...

Nothing gets the feelings hurt more than a truck thread on TBH!
12RingKing is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2017, 01:31 PM   #60
AJ01
Nubbin' Buck

Talking Toyota Rules

Just bought a new 2017 Tundra TSS 4x4 in October. I've had Ford's, Dodge's and Chevy's. The Tundra beats them all. My only complaint with the Tundra is fuel mileage. Get's about 16 on the highway, but will pull a loaded 10,000 pound trailer and get 14.6. Go figure.

I love mine. Then again, the wife, my son and a daughter all own Toyota's.
I guess it's a family thing!
AJ01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2017, 01:37 PM   #61
Daniel75
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Red River County & Atoka Co Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ01 View Post
Just bought a new 2017 Tundra TSS 4x4 in October. I've had Ford's, Dodge's and Chevy's. The Tundra beats them all. My only complaint with the Tundra is fuel mileage. Get's about 16 on the highway, but will pull a loaded 10,000 pound trailer and get 14.6. Go figure.

I love mine. Then again, the wife, my son and a daughter all own Toyota's.

I guess it's a family thing!

Same package I bought (TSS 4X4). How in the heck are you getting 14.6 pulling a 10K trailer . Iíve finally figured out how to squeeze as much mileage as I can out of it with the throttle by keeping it on the ECO screen and being gentle with it when the roadway allows it.

Daniel75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2017, 01:40 PM   #62
stuntriderant
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Elgin/Bastrop county

F150!
stuntriderant is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2017, 01:42 PM   #63
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion Co

14.6 pulling 10k lb trailer? Lol
txwhitetail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2017, 02:42 PM   #64
mfoxworth15
Nubbin' Buck

Tundra
mfoxworth15 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2017, 02:47 PM   #65
burlisb
Spike

Tundra
burlisb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2017, 02:55 PM   #66
ON THE EDGE
Ten Point

Hunt In: Banquete, Colorado

Name:  62D4B82D-C345-44CB-B29C-D5EAAF51E603.jpeg
Views: 181
Size:  38.3 KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslinger View Post
Here is a comparison TOW CHART for those that are wondering.

http://fifthwheelst.com/2017-half-ton-truck-towing.html
How does a 6 cylinder (Ford) have a higher tow rating than all the V-8ís? SMH. I was always a Ford man. Then I bought a Chevy that wouldnít quit, get stuck, or nag me . So thatís what I bought again. But I donít tow much. Just need the truck bed and 4x4.

Last edited by ON THE EDGE; 12-27-2017 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Didnít know we was showin pics :)
ON THE EDGE is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2017, 03:00 PM   #67
lodgepole
Ten Point

Hunt In: The Little River Bottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ON THE EDGE View Post
Attachment 889591

How does a 6 cylinder (Ford) have a higher tow rating than all the V-8ís? SMH. I was always a Ford man. Then I bought a Chevy that wouldnít quit, get stuck, or nag me . So thatís what I bought again. But I donít tow much. Just need the truck bed and 4x4.

Twin turbos

lodgepole is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2017, 03:02 PM   #68
BoneDigger
Pope & Young

There is info online about the expected changes to the Tundra and Silverado. The Tundra is likely to get a new, more efficient engine, plus an 8 or 10 speed transmission. Both of which should help with gas mileage. My 2003 Tundra is a fist generation, so it's smaller than the present Tundra, but it only gets maybe 18 or 19 mpg on the open road. By the end next year, barring some major issue, I'll probably be closing in on 400,000 miles.

I just spend $900 for a new timing belt and water pump, as well as new drive belts. I also spend $300 for two new cats. All of this was standard maintenance, but I hate to lose that by changing vehicles this soon.

The outside looks horrible, with the clear coat pealing in large areas. The inside is okay, but it too isn't great. But, it just keeps going and going. No major issues so far. Well, except that the seat belt retractor sucks.

BoneDigger is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2017, 04:48 PM   #69
BIGTERRY75
Ten Point

Hunt In: Van Zandt, Bosque, Rockwall

If you buy anything, other than what I think you should buy, you are an idiot.
My opinion is the only one that matters.
You dumb ayy. I told you not buy that truck cause its a piece of caca, and youre a piece of caca for buying that truck.
BIGTERRY75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2017, 04:49 PM   #70
npe001
Ten Point

Hunt In: Madisonville, Tx

Love my Tundra.
npe001 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2017, 05:31 PM   #71
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere and when I can!

Had a Tundra with everything you could put on it...excellent power and towing but the "fake" wood grain paneling in the cab started to fade just over a year old? Really, Really for what it costs?? I sold it and with Toyota's rep the price was more than I would have got for a Ford or Chevy.

Had the Chevy Z72 package...loaded once more and liked it...MPG was decent but backseat room was limited for a crew cab.

Driving a F150 King Ranch, again loaded with every option, lift kit, bed cover....not the best MPG but it has the turbo Eco engine and will haul butt!! I don't tow anything larger than my 16' tandem axel trailer with a Crew Ranger on it, but very few pass me up on the interstate if I chose to drive over 75...and it's smooth as can be. This truck has the MOST cab room of any of the 3 I have owned and I like it very much!!!

My TBH son has a 2017 Chevy Z71 Crew and at least for me, no comparison to my King Ranch in room, power and just plain great looks. But, I won't tell him that and hope he does not see this response I just made?

If you are going to keep a truck 250K+/- miles, then "maybe" the Tundra? NONE are perfect and meet every expectation, but I look for comfort and performance, but what do I know...I'm retired and don't really care, lol!!
kumathebear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2017, 07:53 PM   #72
SoTXAg06
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca Co. TX, Arkansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12RingKing View Post
Nothing gets the feelings hurt more than a truck thread on TBH!

Ha, itís probably just behind the college football thread.

SoTXAg06 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2017, 08:08 PM   #73
Notaguide
Four Point

Hunt In: Bosque Co.

Little over 2yrs and 40k miles on my '16 TSS. Only really drive it weekends and on the highway and haven't missed the previous '13 F250 that was shop riddled. Only complaint is the salesman didn't explain there's a FlexFuel and non FlexFuel 5.7. Even though I'm not running E85 the dealer requires 5k mile oil change intervals for the extended drive train warranty. I've checked not believing the Vin# issue related to warranty but found they could have a out if for some reason there was engine failure. Very slim chance but with my luck it would happen. Will probably go to 10k mile Mobil 1 intervals after the warranty is up. Besides that, just love driving it.
Notaguide is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-27-2017, 08:25 PM   #74
cricman
Ten Point

Hunt In: West of Weatherford

I have had Fords (2), Dodges (1), and currently drive a Tundra. I've never owned a Chevy, but grew up in my dad's. I don't know anything about the Titan or Ridgeline (is that even a truck?) I would own any of them except for another Dodge. That thing was a giant piece of unreliable, noisy, garbage. My next truck will be a Tacoma,....to use as a daily driver. I expect to have the Tundra until I die.

cricman
cricman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 04:48 PM   #75
BIGTERRY75
Ten Point

Hunt In: Van Zandt, Bosque, Rockwall

What ever you buy or bought just take care of it and it will take care of you.
Parts and cars are designed to wear / break. If you do your maintenance or have it done it should last no matter what brand you buy. Use quality lubricants and replacement parts and drive it.
BIGTERRY75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2018, 05:10 PM   #76
duckmanep
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
There is info online about the expected changes to the Tundra and Silverado. The Tundra is likely to get a new, more efficient engine, plus an 8 or 10 speed transmission. Both of which should help with gas mileage. My 2003 Tundra is a fist generation, so it's smaller than the present Tundra, but it only gets maybe 18 or 19 mpg on the open road. By the end next year, barring some major issue, I'll probably be closing in on 400,000 miles.

I just spend $900 for a new timing belt and water pump, as well as new drive belts. I also spend $300 for two new cats. All of this was standard maintenance, but I hate to lose that by changing vehicles this soon.

The outside looks horrible, with the clear coat pealing in large areas. The inside is okay, but it too isn't great. But, it just keeps going and going. No major issues so far. Well, except that the seat belt retractor sucks.

Any schools with body shop programs nearby that would do a paint job for ya for cheap?

I would love to see statistics on what % of trucks make it past 200k miles by brand.
duckmanep is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top