Hitting the Fence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hitting the Fence

One thing you can always count on in sheep/goat country.....these guys have to fly to hit the next pasture.

American Quarter horse and a Texas Longhorn

Wild Swan

Great pics!!!!!!

Comment

Great pics

Comment

Very nice, Rob. Love the action in the first two.

Comment

Nice Turkey!

Comment

Nice pics

Comment

Great pics now go shoot that turkey

Comment

Just winging it I see Rob. Nice!

Comment

Great shots, as always.

Comment

Nicely done.

Comment

awesome pics!

Comment

Thank you guys!!!

The flying turkey shot was interesting and here is my tip for those caught in "the moment" as I was.

My wild critter baseline is manual mode at ISO 400.....f/4 - f/11 (depending on the light and conditions). Yesterday, during this shoot sequence, it was cloudy so F/4 @ 400 ISO using the 300mm was my base. In my photo hunt mode, I spotted a pair of gobblers walking the fence line, way off in the distance. I heard them gobble before I managed to finally gain visual. I cleared to the edge of a large field and spotted them working that fenceline headed straight to a fenceline corner. I knew immediately if I closed the distance...moving quickly with the camera ready to roll....I might pull a wing over the fence shot. As I closed down....several hundred yards....I had the mind to ramp my ISO up to 1000 and make meter adjustments to match the light....keeping F/4 as my base.....as I worked down on them quick aiming the entire way....allowing the camera to autofocus as I moved. Had I not kicked my ISO up.....prior to closing my distance.....the soaring gobbler shot would have simply been a blurred mass. Had I dropped my camera down for one split second during my close down.....I would have blown this shot trying to get the camera back up to my eye, refocus and snap.

This wild critter photography stuff is kind of like antelope hunting with an expensive rifle scope and your trigger is the shutter. A lot more thought goes into camera hunting I might add

Comment

Nice shots, thanks for sharing them!

Comment

nice pics

Comment

more great shots Amigo........

Comment

Working...
                              X