peach cobbler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

peach cobbler

On the old green screen someone had a recipe for making some kind of cobbler in a cast iron pot on an open fire. Anybody have a similar recipe?

Peach

2 big cans of Peaches
    2 boxes of yellow cake mix
    1 box of brown sugar
    1 stick of butter.

Dump 2 big cans of peaches with juice into dutch over. Sprinkle in some Brown Sugar. Dump in the boxes of cake mix. Don't stir. Place slices of stick butter on top of the cake batter. Probably will take 1/2-1 stick. More will not hurt. Start out with coals on the bottom until butter starts to melt then add coals to the top. I normally use camp fire coals so I'm not sure how many briquets to use. With Camfire coals I make a circle just a tad bit bigger than the oven then go from there. Normally takes around an hour to cook.

Comment

MAN, that sounds good!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will that same recipe work for other canned fruits???

Comment

yep!!!

If you use blue berries or dew berries make sure to get white cake mix. Yellow and Blue makes green. Looks pretty nasty when its all Green gooy. Still tastes good though.

Comment

I use two big cans of peaches and one regular size can of cherries, but any canned fruit will do. White cake mix and a cinnamon/sugar mixture instead of brown sugar. It's always the hit of any mealtime at the lease. Esp. if you have some whipped cream or ice cream to go with it. Be warned that this is a large recipe and can easily feed 8-10 people. So I only make it when we have a full house.

The secret to cooking is to rotate 90 degrees every 15 minutes and then drink a beer. When the dutch oven makes a full circle, it's ready to go. When you take it off the fire, drink another beer.

It's all good! You won't be disappointed.

Comment

Sounds like some perty good stuff!!

Comment

Peach Cobbler

I have made cobblers for years in a cast iron dutch oven on campouts. Below is one of my easy, good, and reliable recipes:

Pour a small amout of oil in the bottom of the pot (just ebnough to coat it).

Use whatever pie-filling you want. I like to mix peach and apple or apple and cherry, etc...
              Put a little pie filling in the bottom of the pot. Just enough to cover the bottom.

Get the Pillbury pastry dough (they come 2 in a box in the refridgerated section).
              Take one pastry dough and Slice the dough into 1-inch to 1.5-inch strips and lay them in the bottom of the pot.

Add the rest of the pie filling.

Take the second pastry dough and slice it and lay it on top of the pie filling. I like to do a "basket-weave" pattern, just for show.

Sprinkle the brown sugar, regular sugar, and cinnamon on it. I doubt if its possible to use too much, but it IS possible to use too little.....

Drizzle oil on top. Not a heavy coat, just a little all over.

Now close it up and add your heat source. I use about 25% of my coals on the bottom and 75% of my coals on top.

Should take about 20 minutes to cook and if it starts to burn, its because you have too many coals. If it isn't steaming and turning golden brown, you need more coals....

Comment

Originally posted by Trouble View Post

Put a little pie filling in the bottom of the pot. Just enough to cover the bottom....

...Take one pastry dough and Slice the dough into 1-inch to 1.5-inch strips and lay them in the bottom of the pot.

Add the rest of the pie filling.

Trouble, that sounds delicious, and I plan on trying it...one question, though. Do you lay the dough strips in the bottom of the pot, or on top of the first layer of pie filling?

Comment

Originally posted by Stolle View Post
                  Peach

2 big cans of Peaches
                  2 boxes of yellow cake mix
                  1 box of brown sugar
                  1 stick of butter.

Dump 2 big cans of peaches with juice into dutch over. Sprinkle in some Brown Sugar. Dump in the boxes of cake mix. Don't stir. Place slices of stick butter on top of the cake batter. Probably will take 1/2-1 stick. More will not hurt. Start out with coals on the bottom until butter starts to melt then add coals to the top. I normally use camp fire coals so I'm not sure how many briquets to use. With Camfire coals I make a circle just a tad bit bigger than the oven then go from there. Normally takes around an hour to cook.
                  Exactly...and on a cold night at deer camp, this will hit the spot. We've been doing it this way for several years.

Comment

Berendel,
                    Pie filling in first, then the dough on top of it. That way things don't stick to the bottom of the pot.

Comment

Thanks, trouble...I was thinking maybe you layered it.

Comment

Working...
                      X