Climbing stand tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Climbing stand tips

Hey guys, just came across a good climbing stand on sale at academy. Never used one or hunted out of one. Any tips on what kind and size of trees and locations of placing a climbing stand would be appreciated.

Had my first experience with one last week . Getting down the tree in one of those things when the coffee gut hits is tricky. Other than that it was a pretty comfortable sit. Straight trunk with no branches.

Comment

I would stay away from the seats with the rail in front if bowhunting. Be sure to get the open seat type

Comment

I take a pair of limb cutters with me. I find a tree I like and cut while I climb. I try to be as quiet as I can but this way I can get as high as I need too.

Comment

Step one, sell climber and buy a hang on. Just kidding....kind of.

I dislike climbers because they are noisy climbing. I also dislike that they do not allow you to have limbs under you for cover. So my advice would be to hunt a few trees clumped together when possible so you can utilize the other trees limbs for cover.

Comment

They have their place and I still use them a lot. Open front closed front don't matter. I'm high enough I can dance up there :
            Best tip I got is set the angle very steep at base of tree, so it's level at hunting height.... It will need to be a lot steeper than you think.

As far as noise, I've never climbed a loud tree. But mine are all summit climbers

Comment

Don't overlook the simple step of tying the top and bottom pieces together before you climb. If not, you could find yourself stranded up in the tree if the bottom slips off your feet and drops down the tree. It happens all the time.

Don't climb with a backpack or anything like that on. It limits movement inside the stand rails.

Put the top and bottom closer together than you think you should so when you stand up your bottom limb clears the stand rails.

Bring plenty of small rope or para cord to pull up your bow and pack.

And always wear a harness, and have it hooked up before you start up the tree!!!

Comment

Two recommendations I have:

When attaching it to a tree always lift the front end up so I could attach it a bit tighter. Have to remember that a tree gets smaller the further up you go. An 18" tree at the bottom may only be 14" at 20 feet. If you start by hanging the stand a bit higher when at ground level and raise the front up you can compensate for this nicely.

Use a good safety harness. I hunted in a tree that my son didn't do the first recommendation (my mistake, but I was late and in a hurry). Dang stand dropped about 6' as I was turning around. Luckily I had on a safety belt and only broke a rib or two. Now days we have harnesses and not belts. Attach it to the tree as soon as you get to your desired height.

Comment

All solid advice.

Comment

Look at Third Hand Archery supplies.. Especially the stabilizing straps and bow holder. The straps will ensure your top section is anchored tight.

Comment

Originally posted by LeanMachine View Post
                      Step one, sell climber and buy a hang on. Just kidding....kind of.

I dislike climbers because they are noisy climbing. I also dislike that they do not allow you to have limbs under you for cover. So my advice would be to hunt a few trees clumped together when possible so you can utilize the other trees limbs for cover.
                      This.

But since you have it, tips #1-100 are practice, practice, practice.

The more comfortable you get climbing, the safer it will be. And remember you'll either be going up or coming down in the dark, so practice at night if you can.

Comment

Went out and practiced today in a nice white oak id say i got about 15 feet up and really liked the view better than the usual pop up. Now just gotta start practicing shooting out of it.

Comment

Regardless of which you choose,climb until you get into the tree canopy. If you don't you will stick out like a sore thumb.

Comment

Originally posted by BtechDestroyer View Post
                            I would stay away from the seats with the rail in front if bowhunting. Be sure to get the open seat type
                            Have both. Just buy one that flips down like my Lone Wolf.

Comment

I do the majority of my hunting from a climber. Summit only. And multiple types. All of mine have the front rail because I like to lean against the rail if needed. Plus it's about the only way you can shoot behind the tree. Summit will come with a strap that holds the bottom and top tight while packing. This should be used to secure the top as soon as you get set in the tree. Don't believe this will allow you to totally lean against, but it allows you to place some weight against the rail. Also never climb without the top and bottom attached by a line. And I climb with s back pack and have a retractable chord for pulling up my bow. Also I have tent bungees on my quiver to attach my quiver to the side of the to section. I usually do this as soon as I get to the tree so my arrows are easily accessible. And I love to get as high as I can. It's not uncommon to find myself at 30 feet. You will get away with murder there. I'm actually in rare form and hunting a lock on today or I would post pics. Here is the retractable chord.
                              And the tent bungees.
                              And most importantly stay hooked up with a safety harness as soon as you start to climb

Comment

Working...
                              X