Question about broadheads and trad. Equipment for hunting turkeys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about broadheads and trad. Equipment for hunting turkeys

This will be the first Ive hunted turkeys in over a decade with finally someone letting me tag along to hunt turkeys on their place
    I'll be using my recurve of course, those who've successfully harvested a turkey [emoji884] with traditional equipment what kind of head did you use? You're normal setup or a turkey specific broadhead?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never shot one. But I really dont think they're though. (As far as penetration)
    I would use a wide bh. A simmons tigershark, magnus MaI or a Zwickey delta come to my head.

Comment

All I have is 2 blade broadheads, and my gut feeling was they're not wide enough

Comment

Same one's I hunt deer & pigs with. I've used both 3 blade & 2 blade, both narrow & wide with great results.

Just like with any other game, if the broadheads are sharp, and you put it in the right place, the turkey will die quickly.

Rick

Comment

I have shot a bunch of turkeys. I like my normal head that I deer hunt with. Either a Magnus Stinger or German Kinetic. Whatever head you use, make sure it is as scary sharp as it can get. Turkeys are way tougher than most folks give them credit for. The feather quills are quite difficult to penetrate. I get a whole lot less complete passthrus on turkeys than on other critters. Also, try not to shoot them when they are strutting. A whole lot of the animal you are looking at is just fluffed up feathers.

Bisch

Comment

Sweet appreciate the advice gentlemen, pretty pumped about it, been awhile since I've been in the woods and it's something different.

Comment

Just remember, their vital area is smaller than a tennis ball. I like to shoot them from behind, while feeding best. You can get a broken back that way quite often. If you can take out their legs, they will not be able to take off and fly. There are a lot of guys who like to shoot them at the top of the drumsticks for this reason.

Bisch

Comment

10-4
                I'm guessing a ground Blind is the best strategy?

Comment

Originally posted by ghostgoblin22 View Post
                  10-4
                  I'm guessing a ground Blind is the best strategy?

Absolutely! The only reason turkeys are not extinct is because of those eyes they have. Even with those eyes, they act dumb as rocks a lot!

Bisch

Comment

I use my same setup as everything else. I like shooting them best when they are facing away from me. If they're broadside I shoot halfway up their body in line with where their legs and body meet.

Comment

Awesome info and tips. Im gonna give my ghost blind a go for some turkey. Been hearing them since mid feb and saw a tom with a hen two days ago...I got real excited.

Comment

I like the Sharks the best. I have used 3 blades BH on a couple and had to trail everyone. The Sharks seem to make a very short trail if any. Like always, your mileage may vary

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                          Absolutely! The only reason turkeys are not extinct is because of those eyes they have. Even with those eyes, they act dumb as rocks a lot!

Bisch
                          Had an old fella tell me if a turkey could smell it would be almost impossible to kill one.

Then again I've seen the run into a woven wire fence and get stuck where I could run up and grab them so . . . [emoji53]

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

I have never killed one, but I know Curt Cabrera has killed a lot on film with his 3 blades. But, from what I read, its more shot location that head of choice.

I would shoot whatever one shoots best.

Comment

Awesome info
                              I'm going to use my my German kinetics
                              Just bought a turkey 3D target online so I can get my brain familiar to shooting at the geometry of that particular animal

Comment

Working...
                              X