No announcement yet.

Gleaton Chip Ranch Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally, I had only seen one rattler in the past 5 years. My twin brother had seen several a couple turkey seasons ago. We have a snake wrangler go out there every year. Last year he caught around 25-30, this year he caught 15. Our house is on the top of the hill above the San Saba river and I'm sure there are a number of dens inside those rocky cliffs near the river. I'll definitely be going to academy to buy some snake boots/chaps for the kids.

Comment

Did you get any pics of quail using your feeder?

Comment

Originally posted by BosqueTech View Post
        Did you get any pics of quail using your feeder?
        Not yet. Only pictures we got were of rabbits and raccoons. I'm hoping they'll eventually find it, but we have to figure out a way to keep the other critters out.

Comment

Trail Cam Pictures

Here are some trail cam pictures.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0120 (Large).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	24492874

Name:	IMG_0348 (Large).jpg
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	24492875

Name:	IMG_0574 (Large).jpg
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	24492876

Name:	IMG_2265 (Large).jpg
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	24492877

Name:	IMG_2338 (Large).jpg
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	24492878

Name:	IMG_3010 (Large).jpg
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	24492879

Name:	IMG_3472 (Large).jpg
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	24492880

Name:	IMG_5789 (Large).jpg
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	24492881

Name:	MFDC8411 (Large).jpg
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	24492882
          We are going to change our times to the following to prevent the raccoon parties:
          Open at 6am, Close at 7:30am
          Open at 6pm, Close at 8:00pm

Comment

Such a great place and thread... Keep it up.

Comment

New 1,300lb Krivoman Corn Feeder

We replaced our last 300lb corn feeder with another 1,300lb Krivoman corn feeder. We put an eliminator spinner plate and a varmint cage on it to ensure the raccoons can't have a feast every night.

Name:	NE Corner (Large).jpg
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	24493743

The deer are really hammering both protein and cottonseed. Two out of three cottonseed feeders were half empty and one was entirely empty in just 2 weeks:

Name:	IMG_2927 (Large).jpg
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	24493744

Raccoons ripped solar panel wiring from our Krivoman timed protein feeder:

Name:	IMG_2928 (Large).jpg
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	24493745

Name:	IMG_2930 (Large).jpg
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	24493746

Name:	IMG_2931 (Large).jpg
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	24493747

Name:	IMG_2933 (Large).jpg
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	24493748

Name:	IMG_2932 (Large).jpg
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	24493749

Comment

I was gonna ask how your deer were hitting the protein. We are over by San Saba & mine emptied 600 in 2 weeks. They are hammering it & I have it closing at night. They are even hitting the corn as fast as it spins out. Would think with all the green they would slow down a little.

Your place is looking GREAT! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
                  I was gonna ask how your deer were hitting the protein. We are over by San Saba & mine emptied 600 in 2 weeks. They are hammering it & I have it closing at night. They are even hitting the corn as fast as it spins out. Would think with all the green they would slow down a little.

Your place is looking GREAT! Thanks for sharing!
                  Thanks! Ya, the does are really starting to hammer it hard and getting ready to drop within the next month or so. I forgot to mention that our two protein feeders (1,500lb & 1,300lb) were both about 60% full and we filled them to the top two weeks ago.

We have gotten some decent rains this Spring, but nothing over 3/4-inch. For March and April, we have only received 2.5in total. For our area, the average for these two months is 3.21in. We are still above average for the year, thanks to the good rains in Jan. and Feb (7.56in total). I'm hoping we can get another inch or so of rainfall in the next week or two to keep things growing.
                  Last edited by bgleaton; 04-25-2017, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Great read, thanks for sharing!

Comment

I love this thread. On the quail waterer and feeder to keep the coons out you could try to put up chicken wire on the bottom or another hog panel but stagger it to close the gap. You would also have to go all the way to the roof so they don't just climb over.

Comment

if protein will be so limited in when they can eat it, you won't notice any antler increase

Leave it open all day and turn it off at night.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                          if protein will be so limited in when they can eat it, you won't notice any antler increase

We cannot afford to let them eat that much. We have the feeders programmed so that they eat around 800lbs from each feeder a month instead of 1,000lbs+ from each feeder a month. Also, they have cottonseed available at all times, so I think they will be just fine. The biggest improvement we will see in antlers will be once others start shooting does and actually help us keep the numbers down. Once we get others to help us get the numbers down, we can then open up the feeders more. We just have too many mouths to feed right now and not enough $$ to feed them all.
                          Last edited by bgleaton; 04-28-2017, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post

Sure...

Comment

Looking at the damage to your solar panel, I have three questions because I have the same feeder from Krivoman

Do you have a camera on it? Curious if you have a majority of bucks at the feeder like mine.

Also, are the coons jumping up or climbing the legs and swinging over? I have pvc on mine and no coon photos for me.

Last, turkeys pick up any of the protein? Just curious. Mine won't get in my cattle panel pen.

Clay aka BP

Comment

Any growth or activity in the areas you hydroaxed?

Comment

Working...
                                X