Texting app for no service area?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texting app for no service area?

One of my brothers cannot get service where we hunt with Tmobile.

Is there some kind of texting app we can all use so we can at least text one anther even though there is not service? Seems like I recall someone on here saying there is something that uses the phones GPS system or something like that.

still need some kind of signal to send the data, no matter the app, message or call

Comment

Tell him to ditch T-Mobile and get AT&T. He might can get a cheap prepaid AT&T phone just for the lease.

Comment

Walkie Talkies out of the question?

Comment

I have a garmin inreach i use for out of state out of service hunts. It allows text messaging through satellite ans can be linked to your phone to make is easier to text on. They arent cheap and do require a monthly service charge. There are some places they can be rented.
          Last edited by doublearrow; 11-21-2019, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Cheapest way will be to get a pay as you go phone on whatever service that works, and keep it for the ranch.

Comment

Originally posted by basskicker24 View Post
              Tell him to ditch T-Mobile and get AT&T. He might can get a cheap prepaid AT&T phone just for the lease.
              This but go through Cricket Wireless (owned by ATT and using ATT towers).

I did this a few months ago for the same reason. The phone cost me $40 (cheapest one they had, it's a Motorola Moto e5) + a $25 activation for new line + $55 for the first month of unlimited service. Was something like $125 out the door and it works great. It's prepaid on a month to month basis with no contract so after season, just quit paying for it, no cancellation fee.

Comment

I don't think you can do what you want without a cell site involved. Phones send and receive on different frequencies, like radios using a repeater.

The best option is to get walkie talkies with earphones and whisper.
                A good option is to use the Baofeng radios you can get on amazon, they come with chargers and hands free). They are ham freq's, but have capabilities to use frs bands. They have lots more power (phones are around 1/4 watt, the radios can be up to 8 watts). They are also far better radios than the frs that you buy at the store quality wise.
                I am a licensed ham, (tech), so I am not advocating using illegally.

If you could come up with a way to use the phones for this, the radios have way more power, so should work for more distance. Remember, radios and phone signals are line of sight, so if there is a hill between you and whatever you are transmitting to, you will have problems.

Comment

Tell him to ditch the phone and enjoy the silence.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodray12 View Post
                    Tell him to ditch the phone and enjoy the silence.
                    Came from no where for the W!

Comment

Sorry cant help on the app, but I got a booster for the lease and get full service.

Comment

Originally posted by tmurray View Post
                        This but go through Cricket Wireless (owned by ATT and using ATT towers).

I did this a few months ago for the same reason. The phone cost me $40 (cheapest one they had, it's a Motorola Moto e5) + a $25 activation for new line + $55 for the first month of unlimited service. Was something like $125 out the door and it works great. It's prepaid on a month to month basis with no contract so after season, just quit paying for it, no cancellation fee.
                        for occasional use, it's a lot cheaper to go tracfone. 19.95 for 3 months.

That's all I use. I don't do consistently texting, calling or surfing. Never run out of time or mb. It's not for heavy users.

Comment

Smoke signals.

Comment

Working...
                          X