7mm-08 Ammo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7mm-08 Ammo

Who has experience testing different factory ammo from a 7mm-08 with 20" barrel and 1:9 twist for mostly Deer and Hog hunting under 500yds?

Wondering what I need to start stocking up on for my APR build. Anyone have that same barrel or similar that liked a certain pill over others? Looking at 139 ELD. Win Ballistic Silvertip 140gr have some good reviews too and I've been shooting those forever out of my Browning 280 with great results. Thanks for info

I wouldnt stock up on anything until you get a chance to shoot several flavors of ammo out of the rifle first to see what it likes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Been shooting Hornady American whitetail. 139 grain spires. Shoot very accurate with great groups from weatherby vanguards. Not a fast drop them dead over 200 yards though. Seem to lose their punch at longer range.

My guns did not like super performance. Will be trying a 120 grain bluet for more speed.

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
        I wouldnt stock up on anything until you get a chance to shoot several flavors of ammo out of the rifle first to see what it likes

That's what I meant...as in gimme a few options to buy a box of so I can be ready to try em all

Comment

Thanks....was eyeing those too for great reviews on Midway. Wanted some from the Green Screen as well.

Comment

Anything that has a 120 grain Nosler ballistic tip. They group well in my APR 7mm08. They kill things very dead as well.

Comment

^Nice...thank you!

Comment

I’ll be doing the exact same thing. I ordered a 7-08 as well, only difference is I got a 22” barrel.

So far I’ve bought a box of Fusion 140gr, Hornady Precision Hunter 150gr ELD-X, and HSM Sierra Gameking 140gr. I’ve had really good performance on deer and hogs with Fusion and Sierra Gamekings in other calibers. I have never used the ELD-X before.

Comment

140 gr federal premium nosler partitions are clovers out of my wifes 7-08

Comment

Sounds like plenty of good ones to choose from

Comment

120 gr. Barnes TTSX has performed very well for me as far as factory options go.

Comment

They don't make it any more, but Hornady 139 gr. BTSP in their Light Magnum line always shot well out of my Remmy Model 7 in 7/08. Once that ran out I tried the Superformance, but never could get them to shoot well. I traded that 7/08 (wish I hadn't) and got a Remington 700 CDL in 7/08. Took me awhile to find the right handload, but finally settled on the 140 gr. Nosler Accubond after having the rifle bedded. It's a .5 moa shooter now.

I would also look at the Nosler 140 gr. Accubond factory load since you don't handload.

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post

^^this

Comment

With a cartridge like 7-08 I like ELD-X heavies (140+) or TTSX fast-and-light (~120) depending on the game.

Comment

Working...
                            X