Pheasant Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pheasant Hunting

Spent the last few days in Stockton, Kansas chasing pheasant and waterfowl. This is my second time to pheasant hunt as I went to S. Dakota a couple years ago and man I'm hooked. I'd like to get after them every year and maybe give up my annual elk hunt for now. If you have any good recommendations for outfitters and you don't mid sharing them, please send them over. Considering looking at dogs as well and really like the Boykin Spaniels and German Wirehaired Pointers. Any hardcore pheasant hunters in the group?
    Attached Files

Love some pheasant hunting, PM sent.

Comment

Where did you go in South Dakota?

Comment

Originally posted by bunkered13 View Post
        Where did you go in South Dakota?
        Hunted in Kennebec. My best friends family owns a big chunk of land up there. We showed up with my duck dog and tore the pheasant up. Great trip that was.

Comment

I go pheasant hunting every year in Iowa. My lab points so watching the dogs work is my favorite part. If you Google freya pheasant hunting iowa there are a couple videos of her.

Comment

I used Allen's guide service out of Chamberlain SD. I thought they did a good job.

Comment

Upland Inn in Kansas has treated us right over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by texas shag View Post
                Upland Inn in Kansas has treated us right over the years.
                Just looked it up. Neat place

Comment

Are you looking for wild birds or planted birds? I hunted wild birds near Redfield, S.D.

Comment

Originally posted by db@100 View Post
                    Are you looking for wild birds or planted birds? I hunted wild birds near Redfield, S.D.
                    Strictly wild birds.

Comment

That's something I've wanted to do for some time. Before the big drought used to keep up with a guy in the panhandle. I'd be interested if someone has a good contact.

Comment

I go to Kansas for a few days each November with a group of long-time family friends. We stay in one of the group's inherited childhood home in Jetmore and hunt public and private land in the surrounding counties. All wild birds. They are fast, tough birds that must be hit hard. They like to run once they hit the ground if they aren't stone dead.

We are all average shots at best, and our dogs aren't highly trained. But we always have a great time and bring home a few birds. What I love most about these trips is the evening grilling and scotch drinking around the fire. We are very fortunate to have a place to stay and ample hunting areas available up there. Pheasant hunting is a bucket-list hunt for a lot of folks.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I'm going for the first time in about a week, I plan on bringing my 20 gauge O/U but I also have a 12 gauge. Is the 20 enough or should I bring my 12? Sorry, hope I'm not ruining your thread! I am excited and from the pics here I think it's going to be a ton of fun!

Comment

Nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Redlabels View Post
                              I'm going for the first time in about a week, I plan on bringing my 20 gauge O/U but I also have a 12 gauge. Is the 20 enough or should I bring my 12? Sorry, hope I'm not ruining your thread! I am excited and from the pics here I think it's going to be a ton of fun!
                              I’d shoot what you’re more comfortable with. I usually shoot a 20 with 3 in high brass 6 shot.

OP, it does get in your blood! Can’t go wrong with the two breeds you mentioned. The best dog I’ve ever hunted behind was a Boykin.
                              Last edited by rvd; 12-19-2017, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X