No announcement yet.

Over before it started... Please learn from my mistake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This got me thinking. I googled "bow damage in subdivisions", and I found this image. According to Google..... it could have been much worse.

On a serious note, IMHO I don't think you should let this experience keep you from doing something you enjoy. This experience obviously got your attention, and it will stick with you. Learn from it, and move on. IMHO the only good reason for you not to pick up a bow again would be if this had happened and you didn't care that it could have a person/pet. You sound like a responsible guy who had something go wrong, at the wrong time, in a bad direction. The only thing you can control there is the direction that things went wrong. Time to get back in the saddle a little bit poorer, but a lot wiser.
    Attached Files

Comment

Look at it on the bright side. No one got hurt. Keep your head up bro. Its all good. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Don't be to hard on yourself. I think just about everyone has had an arrow go astray. That one just had a little more green attached to it. When I first started shooting when I was a kid I shot one through our front door. Mom was ticked!!!

I had a small hunting accident a few years back that should not have happened. I lost the drive to go for a while because I was so disappointed with myself. In the end your human. Learn from the mistake and move on.
        Last edited by sharkhunter; 08-09-2013, 02:12 AM.

Comment

I've shot thru the back fence, too. The arrow skipped off of the street between me and the neighbor and bounced upward. It ended up in the neighbor's yard. Luckily no one and nothing got hit.
          It was a sick feeling but no doubt your's was way worse.
          I screwed a sheet of 3/4" plywood to the privacy fence after that mishap to stop any future misses. It works like a champ.
          (we have moved from that house/town since and haven't shot in the new yard yet)

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
            I've shot thru the back fence, too. The arrow skipped off of the street between me and the neighbor and bounced upward. It ended up in the neighbor's yard. Luckily no one and nothing got hit.
            It was a sick feeling but no doubt your's was way worse.
            I screwed a sheet of 3/4" plywood to the privacy fence after that mishap to stop any future misses. It works like a champ.
            (we have moved from that house/town since and haven't shot in the new yard yet)
            I have thought about shooting in my back yard where I am now but, all it would take is one rouge arrow and it could turn ugly fast. My luck I would hit a kid, hurt or kill him, Have to live with that on my mind, and get sued. (rightfully so) and lose everything I have worked so hard for. And then still have it on my conscious that I could have killed a kid. What if it would have been my son? The range is not to far away. and it gives Jennifer and I something to fun to do together.

To each his own and I am not preaching because believe me I have the OP's luck. There is only about 10 yards between the sides of my house and my neighbors.

Comment

You got lucky. Those projectile trespassing tickets are HUGE from what I've been told. Good thing she was only mad about ac unit. We all get complacent and that's when things happen. Be thankful it wasn't worse and go buy a big rubber mat they put in horse trailers to hang behind your target. There isn't an arrow around that can pass through that!

Comment

If it is "range fear", grab your junk and come out to my place. I'm 12 minutes from Hachie. If you mis my bag the only thing you could hit is pasture!!!! Its hanging on a hay bale just off my driveway. I have 10, 20, 30, 40 & 50 yard markings on the driveway.
                Give me a shout.
                Robert 469.438.6531

Hell, I could use a coach anyway!!!!

Comment

Get back on the horse!
                  I put an arrow through the fence and into my neighbors yard. I felt much the same way although no damage was done. I shoot up the driveway into the open garage now.

Comment

I did something similar in college. My arrow went through my neighbors fence, through his storage shed and into his golf bag! Luckily he didn't play golf anymore. He wasn't too mad.

Comment

You will be ok dude! Hold your head up and be positive about this. You were a man and took responsibility for it two ways, monetarily and action wise. You are not some weasel that tried to deny it. You have a lot to be proud of!

When I was in high school, I was at my deer lease and had a new Ruger Single Six .22 cal. I was just dying to shoot it. I selected a harmless looking fence post to shoot at. Boom....shhhhhhhhhhh. What? The bullet richocheted off the post and punctured a tire on a trailer nearby. Doh!!!! I got over it and it could have been much worse also.

Comment

An eye opener or good reminder for all of us.

Comment

Good reminder, my first arrow I ever flung was a similar experience, only not as costly! I released one arrow, put the bow up with the intention of never shooting it again!
                          Luckily, Larry, drug me to south Texas about six months later and MADE me try again. I've been hooked since!

Comment

One of my sister's boyfriends shot a car my dad was working on. Arrow right into the tail light. Luckily he was shooting a Mathews so he didnt get much penetration.

Learn from your mistake and get back at it. No need to put your bow down.

Comment

Yup, this is why I never shoot in my backyard. There are too many public ranges scattered all over the metromess to practice that will help avoid this. Granted it's hard to shoot every day.

Comment

So youre saying you should have gave the AC unit behind the high fence that you were poaching another couple years?

Comment

Working...
                                X