Your choice would be.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whosure View Post
    It's a marketing ploy to get your name to resonate with the target customer base. I could call it whatever I wanted, your right. These are the names I think could resonate and am doing market analysis on finding the one that resonates.
    Oh, I misunderstood, since you asked which one I would pick as a bowyer and not which one would resonate with me as a customer.

My initial statement that it doesn't really matter as long as the product is good pretty much stands... however...

The trad world is a small world. What resonates with me in a name is it's story, or what story/journey it tells. What history it brings along with it. A name that has been carried along for years, under different owners tends to need to bring along what that name meant... quality, etc. New names will tell me a little bit about the bowyer themselves. Actually, the way the bow look usually tells me more, but the name does too. Are they trying to be more classic (using a classic name) or more trendy (using tacticool like names.) Does the name fit the person whom I am ordering it from? etc. A person who names their bows after themselves (actual name or nickname) tells me that the person takes a lot of pride in their work and that they put their actual name on the line. Somebody who uses buzzwords makes me go "hmmmm" Now, it is a small world, so it isn't hard to look up a bowyers story and if that story fits something special about an experience in their life... I like that. If it is just something picked out of a hat... then well, ho-hum, okay.

Traditional bow makers remind me a little of microbreweries... there are a ton of them of all different sizes... and a ton of different names. I'd like somebody to pick a name that just tells me a little about them... the taste of the beer will determine whether I buy one ever again.

But back to bows... My favorite is a black widow... I don't know the story behind the name... but now I am going to go look. All I know is it has been around for a long enough time that the name means something other than what it meant for the person who came up with it.

Comment

Probably none of the above. I'd take a lead from people like Leon Stewart, Bob Sarrels and Connor Wagstaff and put the bows out in my name. Your buyers are going to rely on your name and your work. To most of them anyway, the fact that you stand by your work is going to be far more important than any name you give your company. Names are fine for models, "Slammer" "Blue Ridge" etc., but I think most of us want to know who's behind the bow more than we want a catchy name.

Comment

I just can't.........

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzzy Dog View Post
          Probably none of the above. I'd take a lead from people like Leon Stewart, Bob Sarrels and Connor Wagstaff and put the bows out in my name. Your buyers are going to rely on your name and your work. To most of them anyway, the fact that you stand by your work is going to be far more important than any name you give your company. Names are fine for models, "Slammer" "Blue Ridge" etc., but I think most of us want to know who's behind the bow more than we want a catchy name.
          Unfortunately my last name is Whiteman....Just not seeing that as much of an eye catcher. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Whosure View Post
            Unfortunately my last name is Whiteman....Just not seeing that as much of an eye catcher. LOL

No way....

That would be funny.

Comment

I agree with everything Fuzzy Dog said.

Comment

Whiteman bows no shootem very far...................

Comment

Out of the choices you presented, I would still go with Wolf Pack!

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter Todd View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter Todd View Post
                      Bwahahahaha!

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                        Oh, I misunderstood, since you asked which one I would pick as a bowyer and not which one would resonate with me as a customer.

My initial statement that it doesn't really matter as long as the product is good pretty much stands... however...

The trad world is a small world. What resonates with me in a name is it's story, or what story/journey it tells. What history it brings along with it. A name that has been carried along for years, under different owners tends to need to bring along what that name meant... quality, etc. New names will tell me a little bit about the bowyer themselves. Actually, the way the bow look usually tells me more, but the name does too. Are they trying to be more classic (using a classic name) or more trendy (using tacticool like names.) Does the name fit the person whom I am ordering it from? etc. A person who names their bows after themselves (actual name or nickname) tells me that the person takes a lot of pride in their work and that they put their actual name on the line. Somebody who uses buzzwords makes me go "hmmmm" Now, it is a small world, so it isn't hard to look up a bowyers story and if that story fits something special about an experience in their life... I like that. If it is just something picked out of a hat... then well, ho-hum, okay.

Traditional bow makers remind me a little of microbreweries... there are a ton of them of all different sizes... and a ton of different names. I'd like somebody to pick a name that just tells me a little about them... the taste of the beer will determine whether I buy one ever again.

But back to bows... My favorite is a black widow... I don't know the story behind the name... but now I am going to go look. All I know is it has been around for a long enough time that the name means something other than what it meant for the person who came up with it.
                        One of the best post I've read in a long time Scott.
                        Out of those I'd say wolf pack or tejas bows because the others are used in some way already.
                        Ps... it took me about 2 years to settle on a name for mine. Don't rush the process. It will come to you and when you hear it you'll know it.

And there is a story behind it!
                        Last edited by Randy Madden; 06-08-2017, 05:41 PM.

Comment

How about "Lethal Injection" Bows.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Madden View Post
                            One of the best post I've read in a long time Scott.
                            Out of those I'd say wolf pack or tejas bows because the others are used in some way already.
                            Ps... it took me about 2 years to settle on a name for mine. Don't rush the process. It will come to you and when you hear it you'll know it.

And there is a story behind it!
                            All very accurate, true and well received. It is just harder than I thought it would be. You want something that respects the art of traditional archery and those who used it in days past, but something edgey as well. This has all been very informative, thanks for everyone willing to share their thoughts, experience and guidance. I am much further along than I was when I posed the question.

I might use Whiteman archery for my short bow line.

Comment

Working...
                            X