Southwest Texas buck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Southwest Texas buck

I was invited to hunt with 4feathers back in October to hunt his place. The only deal was I had to come pick him up because he would not be allowed to drive after his shoulder surgery.

Due to my wife's semester finals I was not able to leave until 8:45PM Friday night. I drove to Winters and picked up Josh. We arrived at the ranch at 3:00 in the morning. We got a two hours of sleep before Josh's brother woke us up.

The excitement of the hunt was enough to get me moving. Loaded up and went to our blind. The setup is awesome for a recurve hunter. Before sun up we have a small six point show up looking for the golden nuggets. The feeder never spun due to a bad battery. We saw one doe, spike, fork horn, and that six point.

Headed back to camp and met the group. Great group and made me feel welcome. after some pigs in the blanket we loaded back up and filled feeders and changed out the battery on our feeder. This took awhile so no afternoon nap.

Got geared up again and due to the weather I opted to take my compound. after being dropped off I spotted a small deer near my stand. I tried to get in without spooking the deer, but it didn't happen.

I got into the tripod and settled in for the evening hunt. It was only ten minutes before three deer appeared in front of me. Two nubbins and a fawn doe. A short time later another nubbin appears and then a three point. These deer were all around me and I was holding tight not to bother them.

I large covey of quail appeared and went right to the feeder. I heard a feeder going off so I knew at anytime mine would go off. All the deer started getting nervous and then I saw why.

This 8 appeared to my left. I turned my head away because there were a lot of eyes all around. The feeder goes off and the rush was on! I counted nine deer feeding. The 8 was there and I was just enjoying seeing this buck. When he presented me with a shot I drew my bow. Just as I was about to anchor those stupid quail busted out of there!

All the deer rain away and I thought that was it. I am not really sure of the time, but the deer started filter back into the feeder. I truly thought the 8 was long gone, but he suddenly appeared. When the shot presented itself again I was finally able to get to fulldraw.

Settled the pin right behind the shoulder and let go. Well that buck was fast and my shot actually hit the liver and out the pounch. I watched the 8 run off and then stop. He started to stumble and surely thought he was go down right there. He stood there for about five minutes trying to keep his balance.

He was able to walk away very slowly. It started to drizzle and waited about five more minutes and got down. I confirmed what I already knew about the shot. Followed the blood trail until is stopped.

Backed out and waited for my ride. I told Jason I shot an 8, but wanted to go back to camp and tell Josh and give the buck more time.

I told them about the buck and my shot. We loaded up with lots of flashlights. The drizzle was pretty heavy and I knew the blood would not last long. I showed them the blood trail and we followed it. The 8 cut across the road, but no blood.

Mike stopped us all and said he sees the 8 bedded down and looking at us. We backed out and said we would come back tomorrow. I was glad we found him, but still not happy about how the shot played out. After a nice supper off to bed. Only having two hours of sleep made it easy to fall asleep.

we wake up and go hunting again. I am after a doe or a spike. Same blind as yesterday. I take my recurve out and take a shot at a spike and hit it high and through the meat. I was not feeling great about my shooting skills. I know it happens, but twice in one weekend is tough pill.

We go back to back and I am praying that we find my buck. Once back and camp we wait for the rest of hunters to arrive. We load up again and go look. We spread out and start looking. I really don't know how long it was before Josh's hollers out your buck is right in front of me.

I start looking and cannot see it. I start walking to Josh and there is my buck stucked under a cedar tree. I will say I quiet happy. I knelt down and thanked God for this blessing. Shook their hands and loaded up the buck.

Man it felt great to find this deer and no predators found it. The ride home was a lot better.

Huge Thanks to Mike M, Josh and Jason for a fun weekend and helping me get my buck. Y'all are great people.
    Attached Files

Nicely done Timm!

Comment

Nice

Comment

Awesome Job. Congrats Timm.

Comment

Nice story. And a great buck. Congrats again.

Comment

Congratulations, nice buck!

Comment

Congrats brother , nice 8 .

Comment

congrats

Comment

Congratulations Timm. Nice deer and a great story!

Comment

congrats man!

Comment

congrats

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Nice buck. Congrats.

Comment

Congrats Timm

Comment

Congrats! Glad you found him!