Electrician Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrician Question

I had an issue with a Square D 20amp arc fault breaker tripping in my guest bath and guest bedroom. Called out an electrician today and he did not diagnosis at all. Offered to replace the breaker in hopes that it would fix the issue. Told me it was a 50/50 shot. He wanted $350 to change the breaker. Wanted $1750 to diagnose the circuit if that didn't do the trick.

Question is: Am I totally ignorant to think that changing a breaker is not that expensive, or was this guy just bending me over dry?

And don't you usually diagnose a problem before you recommend replacing a breaker in hopes that it fixes the issue?

You can buy that breaker at Home Depot for $43 and change it yourself. If the new one keeps tripping you could call in help.

I would shut down power, check connections on each receptacle to make sure they are tight first.

Comment

He's no electrician......but he is a tool

Comment

Yeah you can change that breaker yourself and save some dough. You would not be the first to have issues with a electro mechanical device called arc fault circuit breaker.
        His charge of 350 was most likely grabbing a days pay from you.
        Check all connections to every device on the circuit. Many times neutrals(white wire) are stab wired and the little tab that makes the connection burns out and gives intermittent service. Which is why I tail off all my devices and wrap the wire around the screws.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post
          Yeah you can change that breaker yourself and save some dough. You would not be the first to have issues with a electro mechanical device called arc fault circuit breaker.
          His charge of 350 was most likely grabbing a days pay from you.
          Check all connections to every device on the circuit. Many times neutrals(white wire) are stab wired and the little tab that makes the connection burns out and gives intermittent service. Which is why I tail off all my devices and wrap the wire around the screws.
          I will be checking all the connections this weekend.

Comment

Yea that’s high. We charge $125.00 an hour for 2 guys. It would be $1,000 to “diagnose” for 8 hours. It wouldn’t take 8 hours...

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
              Yea that’s high. We charge $125.00 an hour for 2 guys. It would be $1,000 to “diagnose” for 8 hours. It wouldn’t take 8 hours...
              That's my thought exactly. I will gladly pay a labor rate, but to say it is a flat fee of $1750 when you could solve it in 5-10 minutes possibly, is a joke.

Comment

As stated, don't pay that guy, he's taking advantage of you 100%. Swap the breaker yourself and check connections while it's down and if you don't see anything let it ride and see how it works. Shouldn't be anything too much going on there.

Comment

Both prices are high. Call somebody else.

Comment

If you have never changed one , watch some YouTube videos. Go buy the correct breaker, and change it. That's what I did. Just be careful kill all the power, and don't touch anything above the main breaker.

Comment

Change the breaker.
                      The SQD CAFI .. Combination Arc Fault GFI Breakers with time and humidity have a know issue. Once they start tripping they will continue. Change the Breaker.

Kill the main breaker. Remove the cover. Back out the screw that holds the black wire into the breaker. Rotate the breaker off the buss. Reverse the steps to install the new breaker.

Comment

Changed the breaker and it is still tripping with random switch combinations. I will have to dig deeper.

Comment

What do the switch combinations have in common? Doesn’t sound like an outlet unless they are switched as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Make sure no wires are touching inside your wall switch boxes, that could cause it to trip. What I encountered the other day was a broke wire. The black wire looked fine but tested like it had no power w a volt meter. A hot stick told me it was hot, but at the end of the wire where I poked it w a bolt meter it was reading 0. The wire itself had broke in the black sheathing. It took me forever to figure it out but it I got it.

Comment

You may have a broke wire in the sheathing that is intermittently making contact causing it to work, then short out

Comment

Working...
                              X