A Little Brush Therapy After a Tough Week - The "Moseley Buck"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Little Brush Therapy After a Tough Week - The "Moseley Buck"

It's been an emotional week following the death of my father last Tuesday, after a 10 month battle with malignant melanoma. We were blessed with an outpouring of love and support from so many family and friends.

After I got home yesterday, I decided to grab my bow and head out back for a little solitude in the woods. I don't have a blind set up, but I sat on a stool about 20 yards back in the woods under a small group of saplings near where I have my feeder running.

Click image for larger version

Name:	chair in woods.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	403.0 KB
ID:	25130191

Name:	trail.jpg
Size:	383.5 KB
ID:	25130196

I don't have a game camera so I didn't really have any expectations of what, if anything, might be coming in. I sat here, in front of the saplings, last Sunday evening but was immediately picked off by a wary, mature doe.

Before the feeder went off, I spotted a buck moving toward me in the brush. Rather than walking to the clearing, he opted for the trail on which I was hiding. About 6 yards from me, he realized something was out of place and we had a stare-down for several seconds before he nervously trotted off. After a few more glances my way, he walked around me, still unsure if I posed danger!

Name:	eight.jpg
Size:	390.7 KB
ID:	25130193

After the feeder sounded, I heard grunting back off behind me, and then saw a deer walking in to my set. It was a buck. I hadn't anticipated shooting a buck here - my primary objective for this property is to shoot a doe during the archery only season - but this was a mature(ish) buck with four points on his right side (and a couple of kickers) and an unbranched antler on his left, making him both legal for the AR county and "eligible" as a proper freezer filler! I quickly made the decision to shoot if presented an opportunity. He presented, I delivered!

Name:	draw.jpg
Size:	368.3 KB
ID:	25130192

I made what felt and appeared to be a good shot through the lungs.

Name:	shot.jpg
Size:	406.0 KB
ID:	25130195

I gave him about 20 minutes before I decided to go inspect the arrow, which had zipped through and buried in the ground next to the feeder. Good blood covered the entire arrow and vanes. I quickly took up the trail and followed good blood for about fifty yards before it started petering out. I marked the last spot and decided to retreat to the house for an extra flashlight and to review the video.

The video indicated that I hit him a little high and back of where I had intended, and he seemed to be quartering toward me just a little more than I had wanted, but I was confident that it was a lethal effort. I ate dinner that my wife had prepared and then we returned to take up the trail. I found a few more spots of blood beyond where I had originally stopped, but I eventually decided to walk in the direction he was heading to see if I could find anything more prevalent. Ultimately, I blindly walked up on him dead in the tall grass!

The "Moseley Buck"

Name:	pic.jpg
Size:	306.6 KB
ID:	25130194

It was quite a relief. It was only about an hour and a half after the shot, but some critter had already pierced the deer's paunch and made a smelly mess for me to work around for the field dressing chore!

I haven't had a chance to properly hunt yet this season, but I'm happy to have punched a tag and filled the freezer early in the season! Video to come!
    My Flickr Photos

Congratulations Michael, sorry for your loss.

Comment

Congrats on the Buck! Sorry for your loss may God send your family peace and comfort

Comment

Congrats on the deer.

Sorry for your loss, it is a life changer for sure. That was one the hardest things in my life when I lost my dad.

Prayers up

Comment

Awesome job boss!

I'm sure your dad is awfully proud!

Comment

Way to go Michael!!!

Comment

Congrats! Best therapy ever there.

Comment

Congrats on the hunt, and continued prayers for peace and comfort for you and the entire family.

Comment

Congrats!!

Comment

Congrats Michael!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats, boss!

Comment

Congratulations Michael. I know your Dad is proud of you.

Comment

Good work Michael. Time in the woods is good therapy. But sorry for all yall have been through.

Comment

The best kind of therapy, any hunt is good for the soul.

Comment

I approve this message! Glad you got some quiet time and a little venison to go along with it Michael. The healing process takes a while but you got it started on the right foot!

Comment

Working...
                              X