broadhead question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

broadhead question

I didn't want to highjack the post on which broadhead, but what is a good way to test out a broadhead?

Short of sticking a pig of course. Anyone with a recommendation of something you could shoot and get an idea of how a boradhead would perform?

You can get a donor animal somewhere.....hang it and test out broadheads. Pigs would work great for that.

Just buy them, use them, review them!

Comment

Need more info, what are you trying to test?
      Flight
      Penetration
      Durability
      Accuracy

Also if you can tell us the broadhead you want to use you will probably find that several people on here can give you first hand experience with it.

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
        Need more info, what are you trying to test?
        Flight
        Penetration
        Durability
        Accuracy

Also if you can tell us the broadhead you want to use you will probably find that several people on here can give you first hand experience with it.
        Yes.

No one broadhead in particular. The thread on what fixed blade broadhead to use on an elk hunt got me to woundering if there was a way to test out different broadheads without going hunting. Could you shoot a watermelon or something and get an idea of penetration, durability, etc?

Comment

Do not worry about what head you use on most game in NA. Just make sure your bow is tuned and shoots your BH's with your FP's and you are accurate with it. Shot placement and a sharp broadhead placed in the right spot will take care of basically anything you want to hunt in NA. A bad shot is a bad shot and there are really no BH's that will make up for a poorly placed shot. Most will tell you that big expandables are not good on larger game unless you are shooting a heavy arrow with plenty of momentum and some hate them period. Not much junk in BH's on the market so just pick you one and get it shooting right and get confident in you and your ability to use that equipment and you should be good to go. I almsot try different heads each year, that is until i found the Smoke Ramcat, but there are some out now I might just try, but the Ramcat will be my go to head if it gets serious.

Comment

Find a broadhead you are interested in, and do some research. A lot of times youtube videos will tell you a lot. Like said above, most heads will do perefectly fine here in the states. Most important is shot placement. If you hit the boiler room, your sure to shut it down. They wont go far.

Comment

Accuracy is key...all B/H, including expandables, will perform on deer sized game. I used Wasp Boss Bullets and Rocket Wolverines both in 75grain, deadly. Shot 2 deer and a boar last year with the Wasp, deer ran 8yds and 25 yds, boar ran 70 yds.

Comment

There are a ton of videos on Youtube testing broad heads. They to penetration, speed, flight trueness, etc. Most broadheads have been tested and are available for viewing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                  Do not worry about what head you use on most game in NA. Just make sure your bow is tuned and shoots your BH's with your FP's and you are accurate with it. Shot placement and a sharp broadhead placed in the right spot will take care of basically anything you want to hunt in NA. A bad shot is a bad shot and there are really no BH's that will make up for a poorly placed shot. Most will tell you that big expandables are not good on larger game unless you are shooting a heavy arrow with plenty of momentum and some hate them period. Not much junk in BH's on the market so just pick you one and get it shooting right and get confident in you and your ability to use that equipment and you should be good to go. I almsot try different heads each year, that is until i found the Smoke Ramcat, but there are some out now I might just try, but the Ramcat will be my go to head if it gets serious.
                  I agree here. Great comment.

Comment

Up til about 6 yrs ago, I've probably shot dang near every broadhead out there or a reasonable facmile.
                    Pick out a cut on contact head, either replaceable blade or fixed, 2 or 3 blade (they are the easiest to sharpen) then get a good matching arrow, and tune your bow to them.

Once you do then tweak it to get both field point and BHs to hit the same place, they will, just takes patience.
                    talk to a bunch of people ask them and remember 10 people will shot 8 different broadheads, don't mean any is better than the other, it's just what they shoot.

Then hunt with them, if your satisfied with the cutting and the blood trail left, then use them. if not try another "after season" not during. trust me on this.
                    There are plenty to choose from.
                    Good luck

Comment

ballistics gel.

Comment

Working...
                      X