Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Longbows and pop-ups. How tall is tall enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Longbows and pop-ups. How tall is tall enough?

This may be a hard question to answer because of several variables, but generally speaking, how tall does a blind have to be to comfortably shoot a 60" longbow? Here's my dilemna - on my lease I have a couple of Double Bull T5's already set up and I'm about to buy a 60" longbow. My concern is I'm going to get out there to hunt and find my blinds to be unusable. Anybody know how tall the Double Bull T5 is?

And if my Double Bulls are too short, is their any remedy for that? Raise it somehow? Dig a hole?

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
      And if my Double Bulls are too short, is their any remedy for that? Raise it somehow? Dig a hole?
      Shoot from your knees.. always worked for me..

Comment

Another option would be a stool with shorter legs (but then you have to consider the height of the shooting windows too). I'm ground hunting this year and my chair puts my butt about 6 inches off the ground, I have sufficient clearance for my bottom limb and I'm generally low enough to tuck up under low hanging branches with no issues. It's all speculation at this point though (unless someone can give you the dimensions for your DBs).

Comment

I hunted out of some double bull blinds last year and I used the swivel tripod from walmart as a chair, worked great no problem with clearance, however I cant my bow as well, if you dont, its going to be harder for you in a blind

Comment

I have a Primos Vision Max and a DB 360 matrix and I can shoot my 67" selfbow from either one. I think they are both around 67" tall at the center. I cant therefore I can

Comment

Depends on what the height of your bow is when it's in your hand in shooting position. Get a measurement, and you'll probably need about 3 to 4 inches clearance above your bow.

Comment

I can shoot out of Double Bulls (killed two does from them last year), but I find it a bit tight and have to be careful. Digging down can help as well as shorter stool. I don't do as well on kness after a life of hard sports and getting scoped.

If the ground is too hard to dig, on a rare occasion I have had to raise the whole blind up. This is not ideal as it lets in light and lets more scent out, but you do whatever the situation calls for.
                Last edited by Chunky; 10-07-2011, 11:11 AM.

Comment

We can't dig on most of our place, and I've raised a couple of hub-style blinds to make them work a little better (most will work, but you have limited movement. We have a roll of black shade cloth, and that can be pretty easily added as a 'skirt' with some industrial staples. I believe the sheet is about 6 or 8 ft, so we just double it over, and end up with plenty.

Comment

I used to use an Ameristep Dog House and it was a bit short for my 64" Sierra. I simply cut 8 squares from a 2x6, nailed them together in sets and put the legs of my blind on the elevated blocks. It added 3" to he height of the blind. I then brushed in around the bottom of the blind to keep the light out.

Comment

the penthouse blind is 90 inches high

Comment

We built a bottom frame with 1x12 and pinched blind over those with 1x2s. Will post pic in morning.

Comment

Working...
                        X