Fruit trees for wildlife.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fruit trees for wildlife.......

So, I'm one day closer to closing on my slice of Texas by RS. I've been thinking of planting some fruit trees such as apples, pears and peaches along with a few other types throughout the property. Have any of you guys done this before? Was it a successful venture? I do plan on planting a Sam Houston peach tree by the house cuz I love peaches. Whatcha all think of the idea of fruit trees?

They're gona need to be babied till they're big, but I like the sentiment

Comment

I've have peace and plum trees beautiful this time of year. Peach trees are very acceptable to disease. Plums are pretty easy

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Would require a lot of babying as said above. They need a lot of watering to produce fruit and Most fruit trees require annual pruning to maximize production.

Comment

At Morse Tree Nursery we grow fruit, nut and berry producing trees and shrubs for wildlife habitat improvement and/or personal enjoyment. Our vast collection of trees and shrubs provides food on your Wildlife plot throughout the hunting season. You decide when and where the wildlife eat!

Comment

Originally posted by joel45acp View Post
            So, I'm one day closer to closing on my slice of Texas by RS. I've been thinking of planting some fruit trees such as apples, pears and peaches along with a few other types throughout the property. Have any of you guys done this before? Was it a successful venture? I do plan on planting a Sam Houston peach tree by the house cuz I love peaches. Whatcha all think of the idea of fruit trees?
            Lookup and study "air-layering"
            I just learned about this the past year. I have 50 some odd figs that are starting to put on leaves and already have people calling me wanting to exchange fig tree plantings for the rights to air layer their fruit trees.

Comment

Apples failed for me. Pears and plums are pretty hardy and easier to grow.

Comment

Near Rocksprings, any fruit trees are gonna be tough to grow. Between the "soil" and lack of rain typically, you'd have to have them on a drip irrigation and fenced off to keep all the critters off them for the first 5 years.... That being said, I'd go with pears.

Comment

You gotta put them in jail, the stinkin' deer around here eat the leaves and twigs off then rub on them something fierce in the fall. They've killed 3-4 for me, damaged about that many more.

Comment

Deer love pears.

Comment

Tex4K nailed it. I have planted lots of fruit trees for deer. If you don't put a protective wire cage around them the deer will kill them!You may have thousands of acres of trees...they will seek out your fruit tree and kill it.

I've planted everything but had best luck with pears and Japanese persimmons. Apple trees are finicky but usually get a few years out of them.Crabapples do well also. DO mayhaws work in your area? They are durable and productive. Plums ok . I don't do peaches anymore. High maintenance.Be sure and get blight resistant pears. Important.
                      Learn how to prune. It will serve you well.

I'd go to the local nursery and find out what does best in the neighborhood and start there. As Chinese say... best time to plant tree -30 years ago. Second best time to plant tree-today.
                      Last edited by elgato; 03-10-2019, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kbar View Post
                        Lookup and study "air-layering"

I just learned about this the past year. I have 50 some odd figs that are starting to put on leaves and already have people calling me wanting to exchange fig tree plantings for the rights to air layer their fruit trees.

Dang what do you do with all those figs ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Just plant peach trees and do everything you can to keep the critters off them. Guarantee the deer win

Comment

I have a peach tree that is at least 18 years old. It was on the place
                            When I bought it in 2000. Produces every year but I never ate a peach. As soon as the get ripe the disappear. Nothing but peach seeds at the base of
                            The tree.

Comment

Look up jujube also called Texas Date. It's a native and pretty tough and every thing eats them.

Comment

Working...
                              X