Cook off jackpot ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cook off jackpot ideas

I have a big cook off next month and I need a jackpot idea. I’ve tried everything I can think of and never cracked the top ten at this one. It’s a San Antonio rodeo Qualifier invitational and the big guns pull out all the stops. I did mini muffin pan quail thigh bites two years ago and thought I had a home run. It took hours to prep for cooking and was one of the best bites of food I’ve ever cooked and still was beat out by stuffed Argentinian prons and a few other variations of bacon wrapped stuffed shrimp. I want to crack the top ten this year. What y’all got? I need a ringer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bacon wrapped stuffed shrimp inside a quail with stuffing as a filler inside quail. Just sounds good or maybe I'm just delirious coming off night shift ?

Comment

Originally posted by T-roy66 View Post
      Bacon wrapped stuffed shrimp inside a quail with stuffing as a filler inside quail. Just sounds good or maybe I'm just delirious coming off night shift ?

Sounds like a south Texas version of the turducken.

Comment

Jalapeño and cream cheese wrapped with venison back strap and wrapped with bacon.

Comment

Do these, or just sneak a dozen or so in

Comment

Armadillo Eggs, Atomic Buffalo Turds, boudin stuffed bacon wrapped pork tenderloin, many different options for fattys wrapped in bacon weave, a nice perfectly cooked steak is also an option.

Comment

These are all delicious, but this cookoff demands something we all don’t make all the time. Gotta bring the A game.

Comment

Maybe some sort of savory napoleon? Seafood would be my choice. Base would be crispy prosciutto, then Grilled Jumbo scallops filleted open, thinly sliced fried green tomato, then lobster mousse, then chopped panko fried shrimp. Drizzle a lemon zest/lobster base hollandaise, finish with finely chopped chives. Easily prepped before hand and all quick cooking times for a fresh hot bite at judging. Savory, yet acidic bite with some good textural contrast.

Comment

Sounds more like an hours d’oeuvre type deal, small bites. I haven’t tried this particular recipe, but I’ve done about 25 others from him and they are all phenomenal. I’ve been cooking for a long time and am rarely impressed with recipes I find, not the case with Hank Shaw.

A recipe for a huckleberry or blueberry barbecue sauce. This barbecue sauce stores well for weeks in the fridge.

My current favorite from his book is a Venison tri tip with chimichurri sauce. I put it on King’s Hawaiian rolls with some horseradish mayo.

Comment

quail and jalapeno stuffed lobster tails wrapped in bacon

Comment

Stuffed Flounder or some type of fish filet stuffed with lobster or Crab. Also try making a Ravioli stuffed with different mixture in a cream butter sauce,wild mushroom
                      Find a good cajun cook or Recipes
                      Remember Men judges like spicy hot women judges like sweet spicy
                      Have a co worker that a big cook off guy. Wins with Tame Rabbit Apricot Perseveres with Japelnos

Comment

Make something that tastes almost as good at room temperature as it does fresh off the pit or get a couple ringers in as judges. I've judged and cooked at an event that is a qualifier for the Houston Rodeo Cook-off and learned more by being a judge one year than I have from talking with some of the best cookers. It is rare for judges to take a bite of anything that is still warm, especially at any cook-off with 50+ teams and you have to keep that in mind when you pick what you're making.

Comment

Originally posted by stickman View Post
                          Maybe some sort of savory napoleon? Seafood would be my choice. Base would be crispy prosciutto, then Grilled Jumbo scallops filleted open, thinly sliced fried green tomato, then lobster mousse, then chopped panko fried shrimp. Drizzle a lemon zest/lobster base hollandaise, finish with finely chopped chives. Easily prepped before hand and all quick cooking times for a fresh hot bite at judging. Savory, yet acidic bite with some good textural contrast.
                          This is something I can build off of. Great idea man. This could be constructed into an awesome one bite.

Comment

Originally posted by GrapeApe View Post
                            quail and jalapeno stuffed lobster tails wrapped in bacon

Stuffed lobster is a strong idea. Especially if I can find some good small rock lobster.

Comment

Bacon wrapped bacon, bacon wrapped steak bites, bacon wrapped axis backstrap, bacon wrapped jalapinos stuffed with bacon. Basically anything wrapped in bacon especially if that is what keeps beating you.

Comment

Working...
                              X