Gus Engeling WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gus Engeling WMA

Just got back from my son's doe/spike draw hunt there. Finally got him in some deer Sun morning, but he didn't get one............................
    He got 2!!
    About 10 min after he shot the first one, another one came in and he took her as well. Dropped that one in her tracks. We were allowed 3 deer, but like a true sportsman, he held off for a spike that we never did see. This was his first deer. Now he wants a buck bad, which I can't blame him cuz on Sat evening, 10 min into the hunt, we had a nice 8 pt come across the field in front of us about 35 yds. Then, an hour later, a HUGE 10 pt comes across about 60 yds in front of our blind. This would have been a buck of a lifetime for this 11 yr old!!!

Thats awesome!! Congrats to your son I have been out there before and they have some nice deer and little pressure.

Comment

Awesome. I wish I was going today. Their archery hunts goes today thru Friday.

Comment

Maybe Pat Miller one of the regulars on the LBJ thread will get a crack at that 10 point, he's down there right now for the archery hunt.

Comment

I just got back from an archery hunt at the Gus Engling WMA, 10-29-07 thru 11-02-07. Despite all of the early signs of the rut, a multitude of scrapes, rubs etc. the hunting was brutal. I attribute the difficult hunting to the amazing acorn crop, every pin oak, post oak, red oak, white oak, etc. was just loaded with acorns and there were so many falling it sounded like rain. When we checked out around 11:00 a.m. of the last day there had only been 2 does harvested out of approximately 50 permitted hunters. In 4 days I only saw one buck and zero does from the stand, and my hunting partner saw 6 bucks and 2 does. The TP&W antler restriction just made a difficult hunting situation just that much more difficult. The 8 point buck I saw was within 15 yds and had a spread of approximately 14 inches but the antler restriction says the inside spread must be outside the ear tips for the deer to be legal and this deer was borderline. Two of the bucks my partner saw, one an 8 the other a 10 were of about the same size and in order to stay legal, he decided to hold off. It was a tough hunt, and I can truthfully say that hunting without feeders, food plots etc. on a WMA draw hunt with all the restrictions has made me question my skill as a bow hunter. I have hunted with a bow for 25+ years and harvested 30+ deer, and this was one of the hardest hunts I've been on in a long time and I have hunted plenty of the WMA draw hunts. I enjoyed the time out but it was a very difficult hunt to say the least.

Comment

I shot my first deer on Gus Engling about 10 years ago with my dad. Shot a doe, then as we were approaching it a group of hogs came by, so I shot one of them as well. It was a great hunt!

Comment

Working...
            X