Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-06-2018, 04:27 PM   #1
TB80
Ten Point

Default Coyotes in Kerr County

Anyone ever see Coyotes in the Kerr County area? Specifically around the Kerrville area?

I've hunted in the area for years and have only seen one once. I've never heard them either. Kind of surprised me that I don't see or hear more.
TB80 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2018, 04:29 PM   #2
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Hunt In: Terrell and Val Verde County

I used to hear them all the time when I lived up near Mo Ranch in west Kerr. Had them in the draw below my house once evening. They were close. I killed one at Kerr WMA one year during the antlerless draw hunt.
SabreKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2018, 04:55 PM   #3
Dejashoot
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fredericksburg, Kerrville, Brackettville and Brazoria

I’ve killed a couple in Mt Home at our lease. They don’t talk like in S Texas that’s for sure.
Dejashoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2018, 05:02 PM   #4
Slick8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

If it's like a little farther west, the sheep and goat ranchers keep them thinned out by poison, trapping or shooting. Hated with a vengeance.
Slick8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2018, 05:04 PM   #5
trophy8
Pope & Young

There’s coyotes everywhere lol. Ranchers hammer them in those areas though.
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2018, 05:51 PM   #6
Tony Pic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NYS, Kerrville, Mountain Home and Harper

We don't get them much out in Harper, but like Deja said...My friend owns a large high fence op in Mountain Home and he gets yotes and hogs that bust into his ranch and he despises 'em with a passion. Does all he can to eradicate.
I have many hours sitting for Axis along the Guadalupe in Kerrville and have never seen a yote there.
Tony Pic is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2018, 06:14 PM   #7
deerwatcher51
Ten Point

Hunt In: Richland Springs & Washington on the Brazos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB80 View Post
Anyone ever see Coyotes in the Kerr County area? Specifically around the Kerrville area?

I've hunted in the area for years and have only seen one once. I've never heard them either. Kind of surprised me that I don't see or hear more.
Not seeing or hearing coyotes is not a bad thing.....trust me.
deerwatcher51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2018, 06:26 PM   #8
hchntr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick8 View Post
If it's like a little farther west, the sheep and goat ranchers keep them thinned out by poison, trapping or shooting. Hated with a vengeance.

This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hchntr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2018, 06:39 PM   #9
Austin
Ten Point

I can tell you as this area has become broken up into smaller tract ranchettes and there is less and less sheep and goat production I have noticed a significant increase in coyotes over the last ten years. We kill several a year in and around kerrville
Austin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2018, 06:50 PM   #10
kerrbow
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hill Country and Kansas

Live off Lower Turtle Creek and heard a pack howling last night while outside about 830pm
kerrbow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2018, 07:27 PM   #11
TxAg
Pope & Young

Never saw or heard any in Sterling City. I was told it was b/c of the sheep and goat ranchers
TxAg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2018, 08:55 PM   #12
pilar
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton

One of my ranchers, has zero sheep and goats yet still has a government trapper putting out poison, never seen a coyote in Kendall county or kerr in 45 years
pilar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-06-2018, 09:34 PM   #13
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W

I've seen them around Center point live and on trail cams. They are out there.

I shot one a few years ago with my bow. He had the back half of a fawn in it's mouth.
Huntindad is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2018, 11:08 AM   #14
Gary Roberson
Eight Point

That was sheep and goat country for the last 100 years and yes, the ranchers poison, trap, snare, fly and call to try to keep the coyotes out. My Great Uncle, A. E. Outlaw was contacted by Charles Schreiner back in the '30s to bring his hounds and catch the last two coyotes off the Y. O. It seems that this pair was so smart that they would not eat anything that they didn't kill and would not go into a snare or step on a trap.
Mr. Outlaw caught the female fairly easy when the dogs struck off a fresh sheep kill. The male was a different animal as he had a lot more stamina and would go to rough and rocky terrain and run the dogs down. After getting outrun on several occasions, Mr. Outlaw went to Mr. Schreiner and told him that if he would buy two hounds out of OK that he knew, that he was sure he could catch the coyote. Mr. Schreiner agreed to do so and the dogs arrived by rail from OK.
These Okie dogs were so bred to run that they would not catch but with the help of these dogs, Mr. Outlaw caught the last coyote on the Y. O. and Mr. Schreiner gave the Okie hounds to him as part of his compensation.
Now you know the rest of the story....
Adios,
Gary
Gary Roberson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2018, 11:10 AM   #15
ACCURACYINC
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mcmullen County

We never heard or saw them at our place in Junction. From what I understand, they did a pretty fair amount of eradication for the sheep and goat ranches. Man I miss hunting with sheep....
ACCURACYINC is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2018, 12:39 PM   #16
Pintail45
Six Point

Hunt In: Across the great blue yonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Roberson View Post
That was sheep and goat country for the last 100 years and yes, the ranchers poison, trap, snare, fly and call to try to keep the coyotes out. My Great Uncle, A. E. Outlaw was contacted by Charles Schreiner back in the '30s to bring his hounds and catch the last two coyotes off the Y. O. It seems that this pair was so smart that they would not eat anything that they didn't kill and would not go into a snare or step on a trap.
Mr. Outlaw caught the female fairly easy when the dogs struck off a fresh sheep kill. The male was a different animal as he had a lot more stamina and would go to rough and rocky terrain and run the dogs down. After getting outrun on several occasions, Mr. Outlaw went to Mr. Schreiner and told him that if he would buy two hounds out of OK that he knew, that he was sure he could catch the coyote. Mr. Schreiner agreed to do so and the dogs arrived by rail from OK.
These Okie dogs were so bred to run that they would not catch but with the help of these dogs, Mr. Outlaw caught the last coyote on the Y. O. and Mr. Schreiner gave the Okie hounds to him as part of his compensation.
Adios,
Gary
Great story
Pintail45 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-07-2018, 12:41 PM   #17
Tony Pic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NYS, Kerrville, Mountain Home and Harper

Quote:
Adios,
Gary
Very cool. Thanks for sharing
Tony Pic is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2018, 10:36 AM   #18
Gary Roberson
Eight Point

I have a LIFE magazine from December 7, 1936 that has an article about the South Texas Wolf Hunter Association 15th Annual Meet which was held on the Story Ranch at Cotulla. (At that time, there was 80,000 acres in the ranch). 257 hounds, 150 horses, several hundred automobiles and 1,200 gunless Texans attended. The results of the three day hunt was 18 dead coyotes retrieved, 12 more catches recorded, an unknown number killed by hounds which ranged as far afield as 40 miles.
Brush was not so thick in those days and in one photo a pickup with cattle racks is seen driving across country with men in the back. Another photo of one of the field judges, A. E. Outlaw with a "dead" coyote slung behind his saddle. It seems that the "dead" coyote almost bit off one of his fingers.
One of my favorite statements in the article is as follows, "Jouncing over deep-rutted roads and ploughed fields, they followed the dogs a good six hours, spent the rest of the day picking them up, tempting them home with horn blasts which meant a fine meal of corn mush waiting." In this day and time most hunters think that corn is bad for dogs and spend a lot of money to insure that their dogs are not poisoned by such a diet.
I remember Uncle A. E. Outlaw telling me that the corn gave the dogs energy and stamina as we were cooking mush in his huge cast iron pot along with meat scraps and bones from the local butcher shop. The ONLY reason not to feed your hunting dogs corn is if your dog is allergic to it and if he/she is, maybe you need another dog.
This event was so big that TIME and LIFE both sent reporters to cover the event. I have a sterling silver loving cup that my Grandfather won with a dog named Tulsa in 1938. Tulsa won the hunt and the bench show and had such a classic bugle mouth that Walt Disney sent a crew down to record him chasing a coyote near Cotulla. The sound track was used in the movie, "VOICE OF BUGLE ANNE".
Now you know a little bit more of the story....
Adios,
Gary
Gary Roberson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-10-2018, 08:21 AM   #19
Grillman1969
Spike

Hunt In: Mason (closer to Doss)

We’re out of Mason off 783 near Doss and our rancher still Offers to pay a small bounty on them. We hear them all the time yipping at night. My Grandparents started hunting on this lease back in the 50’s and I have a picture of an old, old notice that the ranchers dad had posted on the wall. It was a $75 bounty paid. That was many, many years ago and $75 seemed like a lot of money back around 1975.
Grillman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-10-2018, 08:40 AM   #20
wooman
Four Point

Hunt In: trinity,kerr,Newton

Quote:
Adios,
Gary
I wish Mr. Outlaw was around to catch the last one on the YO now. We border the YO and the yotes seem to live there and hunt hard on our place. They have taken at least 2 mature bucks in the last six months and really hammer our fawns.
wooman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top