weather we hardly see

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

weather we hardly see

whats the coldest some of you guys hunted in, and at what temps do you think your bow would be alright in. I have read that some northern bowyers actually test their bows in the cold before they sell them.

Have hunted in -25 before in Northern Canada. Coldest I ever was in was
    -54 with a wind chill of -71 - once again Northern Canada when I was much younger. Glass backed bows I never had a problem in the cold but, my selfbows now thats a different story. Broke a few in the cold - Osage mainly. Found if I was going to be in frigid temps then I used ironwood for my selfbows as it usually grows in colder climates quite well.

Comment

I was elk hunting in Colorado back a few years ago when I snapped this photo. When I started the hunt about daylight I put this bottle of water in my pack. I believe I tried to get a drink about 9:30 and found this.

It was just below 0 at daylight. Warmed up to about 7 when I got in the truck. This is my coldest as far as I can remember.

Comment

I have hunted in northen New Mexico when it was about -20 F. That was back in the 60's and I was a little younger. I have not hunted with a bow in the low temperature. If the temp gets below freezing, I don't do much bow hunting at my age.
        At one time I really liked to hunt in the snow and cold weather. As a matter of fact one time I slipped up on an ole doe who had her head up in a small tree eating, and I kicked her in the rear end. It spooked her so badly that she just folded up on the ground for a second before getting her wits about her and getting out of there. Now that was priceless.

Comment

there was a real big freeze over here in odessa 2 ears go and i think soe ice or somethin might have formed on my cam or string on my wheelbow. ended up with a huge bruise on my chest and a busted string and limbs

Comment

-40 hunting rabbits in Wyoming. my limb savers jumped off . other than that every thing worked well

Comment

Dec. 2007 in Neb. -8 and the high was 11. Bow did make a few extra noises when I drew but no damages. On that hunt it stayed under 32 for over a week.

Comment

Working...
              X