No announcement yet.

Recovered Bullets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

140gr Remington Core lokt in .264 Mag. Found under the skin in the neck of my aoudad, shot was from well below him, and he was quartering away a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tbeak View Post
      I don't think it's the energy thing, it's having a pass trough or having the bullet expend all the energy and remain inside the cavity people are discussing

Everything requires energy, just is it better to have it still be expending it as it passes all the way through or use it all and stay inside

Yes this is what I was saying. Obviously there is energy transfer at impact. My point was I don’t think there is any advantage to the Bullet staying inside the animal vs passing through. Enough energy has been expended in the animal in the first 6-8” of penetration to crush enough tissue and cause enough trauma to kill the animal. Beyond that it just becomes the smaller permanent channel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by tbeak View Post
        I don't think it's the energy thing, it's having a pass trough or having the bullet expend all the energy and remain inside the cavity people are discussing

Everything requires energy, just is it better to have it still be expending it as it passes all the way through or use it all and stay inside
        Depends on shot placement. With marginal shots having 2 holes will help with tracking. With good shots expending all energy inside will always have the animal dead inside 10yds.

Nosler BT showed me this with the grendel. When I had catastrophic bullet failure the deer were DRT ( this was about 2/3 of the shots on about 90 animals). When they gave 2 holes (about 1/3 on the same 90 animals) and performed like MikeD likes they usually ran 10-30 yds.

I would rather have DRT then have to track anyday. Just my opinion.

Comment

I have only ever recovered 1, a 270 from the first hog I killed. Made a bad shot in the dark, quartering away, hit him in the back left and found the bullet lodged in the front right shoulder.

Comment

Um yeah....
            Click image for larger version

Name:	2375F16B-4918-4966-AE12-55CD7E5452D6.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	24521655

Comment

Originally posted by Bone Thug View Post
              Ar15 223...62 grain Federal Fusion
              Recovered the bullet from a doe I shot. Broke opposite leg and found lodged in skin.

Man that’s not very good to retain less than half it’s original weight. I also shoot the 62gr out of my AR, well that is until these last 40 or so rounds are gone then I’m switching to 53gr Hornady.

Comment

Originally posted by Red_RaiderHTC View Post
                Um yeah....

[ATTACH]885235[/ATTACH]

Do you remember the details on the one on the far right, and 3rd from right?

Comment

Originally posted by J-Carp View Post
                  Man that’s not very good to retain less than half it’s original weight. I also shoot the 62gr out of my AR, well that is until these last 40 or so rounds are gone then I’m switching to 53gr Hornady.
                  Shoot the Barnes TTX and you won’t lose that weight.

Comment

My brain burst after reading the physics debate. . .

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
                      Physics dictates that if it exits it has not expended all its energy in the animal....just saying.
                      I'm very much aware of the physics but in a hunting scenario, a large and bleeding exit wound where the bullet barely exits the body is the eqivelent of a punt landing on the two yard line. I'll give up that much in trade.

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
                        Depends on shot placement. With marginal shots having 2 holes will help with tracking. With good shots expending all energy inside will always have the animal dead inside 10yds.

Nosler BT showed me this with the grendel. When I had catastrophic bullet failure the deer were DRT ( this was about 2/3 of the shots on about 90 animals). When they gave 2 holes (about 1/3 on the same 90 animals) and performed like MikeD likes they usually ran 10-30 yds.

I would rather have DRT then have to track anyday. Just my opinion.

Shoot them in the base of the neck and this debate is moot.

Comment

Originally posted by tward1604 View Post
                          Who else likes recovering a bullet from downed game? I love getting a bullet back. I'll try and post pictures of the few I've recovered. Lets see what you got.
                          The one on right is a .270 145 gr Hornady ELDX I recovered from a huge Axis. The one of left is from a .243 Sierra Boatail off a buck my son shot last weekend. Both went through shoulder and lodged under skin on opposite side.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by J-Carp View Post
                            I would expect more weight retention out a bigger bullet. I was impressed on the amount of damage, with breaking the opposite leg and still having a bullet to find for such a small round.

I don’t know a lot about guns and bullets but outside of a copper bullet, I thought the Fusion did its job under the circumstances.

I’ve heard the ballistic tips/hollow points tend to explode and fragment faster and don’t do as good on Bone with smaller calibers.

Comment

Originally posted by BULL21 View Post
                              Shoot the Barnes TTX and you won’t lose that weight.

I’m gonna switch to a Varmint round as I mainly hunt yotes with my 223.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                                Do you remember the details on the one on the far right, and 3rd from right?

Those look like some of those non expanding Barnes bullets. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X