Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 05-08-2019, 09:04 PM   #1
popo1984
Eight Point

Hunt In: Polk County
Default shotgun recomendation

I did some duck hunting with a friend last year and am now looking for a nice gun to replace the 870 wingmaster that I used. We also did some geese hunting and the wingmaster and 2 3/4 shells just weren't enough for some of those high flyers.

Im looking for a 28" semi auto that can shoot 2 3/4- 3 1/2 shells. Ive been looking at the versamax which comes with 5 chokes and is camo coated with nickel and teflon coatings inside on the moving parts. Buds has them for 1200 and some change. I don't care about the camo coating and would be fine with just a all black shotgun.

Is there a better deal out there on a different gun?
popo1984 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-08-2019, 09:17 PM   #2
bloodtrail18
Six Point

Hunt In: Uvalde

I've been shooting a Benelli Super Vinci for the last 7 years without issues. I've shot most of the high-end duck guns out there they all do the job but I trust my Benelli guns after all that I've put them through they keep on shooting. I shoot a Benelli M2 in 3-Gun competition and I couldn't begin to guess how many rounds have been through my guns with literally zero malfunctions.
bloodtrail18 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-08-2019, 09:21 PM   #3
Mertzon Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion, Webb, counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by popo1984 View Post
I did some duck hunting with a friend last year and am now looking for a nice gun to replace the 870 wingmaster that I used. We also did some geese hunting and the wingmaster and 2 3/4 shells just weren't enough for some of those high flyers.

Im looking for a 28" semi auto that can shoot 2 3/4- 3 1/2 shells. Ive been looking at the versamax which comes with 5 chokes and is camo coated with nickel and teflon coatings inside on the moving parts. Buds has them for 1200 and some change. I don't care about the camo coating and would be fine with just a all black shotgun.

Is there a better deal out there on a different gun?
I have the Versamax with zero issues. Nice gun for the money.
Mertzon Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-08-2019, 09:55 PM   #4
T-roy66
Eight Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Both mentioned above are good guns. If I was going to duck and goose hunt I would look at the Mossberg 935.
T-roy66 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-08-2019, 10:10 PM   #5
CTR0022
Eight Point

The one that fits you. Honestly it's the most important aspect of shooting a shotgun consistently. If the gun doesn't fit you then your going to hate shooting it. Look on YouTube for the things to look for so the gun fits you.
CTR0022 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2019, 08:30 AM   #6
duckmanep
Pope & Young

good shotguns usually begin with the letter "B"
duckmanep is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2019, 08:36 AM   #7
Yelladog
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR0022 View Post
The one that fits you. Honestly it's the most important aspect of shooting a shotgun consistently. If the gun doesn't fit you then your going to hate shooting it. Look on YouTube for the things to look for so the gun fits you.

^^this. I always find myself recommending benelli because that’s what I prefer. I’ve had beretta’s and franchi all great guns. But I wind up shooting them a season or 2 and going back to benelli just because I love how they feel to me.
I can say any of those 3 are top notch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yelladog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2019, 08:37 AM   #8
chtx
Six Point

Hunt In: San Jacinto county and hill country

Go shoulder a beretta and Benelli and get whichever is more comfortable. But once cry once. It’s worth it
chtx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2019, 08:46 AM   #9
Fmjag64
Ten Point

Hunt In: N.TX & W.TX

Beretta A400 Xtreme or Beretta A350.

Basically this gun exactly...

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...highlight=a400
Fmjag64 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2019, 08:58 AM   #10
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Open to Offers

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckmanep View Post
That's a good rule of thumb.
Hoggslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2019, 01:33 PM   #11
popo1984
Eight Point

I guess I’ll go to bass pro and touch a few different models to see how they feel. I just have a hard time spending 1600 bucks for anything
Old 05-09-2019, 01:34 PM   #12
Dakota7493
Ten Point

Hunt In: Erath County

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-roy66 View Post
Both mentioned above are good guns. If I was going to duck and goose hunt I would look at the Mossberg 935.
I have the 930...good guns for 1/3 of the price of the "B" guns
Dakota7493 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2019, 02:28 PM   #13
Fmjag64
Ten Point

Find a good used Beretta A400 or Benelli SBE II or SBE III for around $1000 - $1100.
Old 05-09-2019, 02:34 PM   #14
Raider4044
Eight Point

Hunt In: Nolan County

If you want to save a little bit, take a look at the Franchi Affinity 3.5. They're made by Benelli in the same factory using Benelli's inertia driven system. I have thousands of rounds through mine without a single issue using 2 3/4" 1 oz loads to heavy waterfowl loads. It also fits me extremely well which is worth a lot in the world of shotguns.
Raider4044 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2019, 02:42 PM   #15
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckmanep View Post
And well within his budget
SmTx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2019, 02:46 PM   #16
Arrowthreat
Eight Point

Hunt In: Bryan Co. OK

Beretta A350.

Don't waste your money on an A400. It's the exact same gun except for the stocks. My buddy that I primarily duck hunt with has two A400's, and I can tell you it's not worth the extra 600 bucks in my opinion.

I've shot almost all the Benelli's, and in my experience duck hunting, the Beretta's seem to function a lot better. The Bennelli's are lighter and feel better in hand compared to my Beretta. However, every single model I've hunted with jams a lot. I've hunted with the super sport, M2, the vinci, the SBE II, and the good ole Nova's. I know some people will debate me on this, but this has been my experience. I want to like them, but they're too picky for me, especially with cheap dove loads. My Beretta A350 will literally shoot any load. It cycles the 3 1/2 as good as the cheapest 2 3/4 dove loads. I've cleaned it once in 3 years.

I have another buddy who has a versa max, reliable, but I prefer that A350.

My 2 cents.

Last edited by Arrowthreat; 05-09-2019 at 02:50 PM.
Arrowthreat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2019, 03:22 PM   #17
Fmjag64
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowthreat View Post
Beretta A350.

Don't waste your money on an A400. It's the exact same gun except for the stocks. My buddy that I primarily duck hunt with has two A400's, and I can tell you it's not worth the extra 600 bucks in my opinion.

I've shot almost all the Benelli's, and in my experience duck hunting, the Beretta's seem to function a lot better. The Bennelli's are lighter and feel better in hand compared to my Beretta. However, every single model I've hunted with jams a lot. I've hunted with the super sport, M2, the vinci, the SBE II, and the good ole Nova's. I know some people will debate me on this, but this has been my experience. I want to like them, but they're too picky for me, especially with cheap dove loads. My Beretta A350 will literally shoot any load. It cycles the 3 1/2 as good as the cheapest 2 3/4 dove loads. I've cleaned it once in 3 years.

I have another buddy who has a versa max, reliable, but I prefer that A350.

My 2 cents.

Main differences are going to be the Aqua coating on outside and inside of gun that protects from water/rust, Kickoff system to lessen recoil and i think the A350 doesn't come with all the various chokes. That said, I've shot the A350 several times and they're great. BUT for list price of $999 for the A350, why not just spend an extra $300 or so and get the A400? That was my thought process.

Last edited by Fmjag64; 05-09-2019 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-09-2019, 03:24 PM   #18
popo1984
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmTx View Post
And well within his budget
my budget really isnt 1600.00 bucks. id like to keep it at 1000.00.
Old 05-09-2019, 03:28 PM   #19
Fmjag64
Ten Point

Quote:
my budget really isnt 1600.00 bucks. Id like to keep it at 1000.00.
a350
Old 05-09-2019, 03:56 PM   #20
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

Quote:
my budget really isnt 1600.00 bucks. id like to keep it at 1000.00.
I just saw the $1200 part of your post. If you don't have to have new you can get a nice shotgun used for that or less
SmTx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2019, 04:33 PM   #21
bignick612
Four Point

Hunt In: Fayette, Lee, Victoria Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider4044 View Post
If you want to save a little bit, take a look at the Franchi Affinity 3.5. They're made by Benelli in the same factory using Benelli's inertia driven system. I have thousands of rounds through mine without a single issue using 2 3/4" 1 oz loads to heavy waterfowl loads. It also fits me extremely well which is worth a lot in the world of shotguns.
I agree with this. I love my affinity.
bignick612 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2019, 04:33 PM   #22
Arrowthreat
Eight Point

Hunt In: Bryan Co. OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmjag64 View Post
Main differences are going to be the Aqua coating on outside and inside of gun that protects from water/rust, Kickoff system to lessen recoil and i think the A350 doesn't come with all the various chokes. That said, I've shot the A350 several times and they're great. BUT for list price of $999 for the A350, why not just spend an extra $300 or so and get the A400? That was my thought process.

That's true about the coating.. If you paid 1400 for a camo a400 I'd like to know where. I've never seen one under 1600. I got my a350 on a black friday deal. I think I paid 900. The a400 next to it was still 1600.

Last edited by Arrowthreat; 05-09-2019 at 04:37 PM.
Arrowthreat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2019, 04:39 PM   #23
mzurovec
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burnet

Lot of good choices out there but I've had the best luck with Beretta. Hold their value well and it seems like most people hold on to theirs for a long time.

Good luck!
mzurovec is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2019, 04:58 PM   #24
duckboy007
Eight Point

Hunt In: TX, AR, & OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider4044 View Post
1000%. I grab my franchi over my SBE 2 alot more often than I should. They really have a fine piece of machinery there.

Theres a high faluting custom shop-type edition coming out that I would be all over if I was in your shoes. https://www.franchiusa.com/affinity-elite-shotguns

I bet it'll hit the shelves at just over $1000.
duckboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2019, 05:43 PM   #25
El General
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke County

Learn how to call and keep shooting your wingmaster.

Beretta 390/391/3901/A300/A350/A400
Winchester SX3/SX4

I like gas guns, but Benelli and Franchi make good inertia guns. Weatherby has a new auto out that is an inertia gun, I think.

I'd buy used.
El General is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2019, 05:45 PM   #26
RR 314
Ten Point

Look at the Chiapas triple crowns. They make a camo one as well. Triple barrels and no plug worries. Haaa. I bought a couple as a novelty and actually really like them. In fact, I left the nice guns in the safe last dove season and shot one exclusively :-) The game warden got a kick out of it when we were checked. I told him I didn't have a plug but only loaded three. :-)
RR 314 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-09-2019, 06:20 PM   #27
FVR JR
Six Point

Hunt In: San Saba County, Colorado County

I'm partial to Beretta autos, I bought an A300 last year, which hunted hard has been as if not more reliable than my old Benelli M1. If you like the versamax, they make a sportsman model that is black, less fancy stock, not as many chokes, but the same internals, for $800. That or the A350 are both nice for under a grand.

If it comes down to cost, you don't "need" a 3.5 inch gun. If you or anyone else wants one, no judgement here, but if they are too high for 2 3/4" they are probably too high for 3.5". I wouldn't rule out a 3" like a v3, A300, etc if it feels good and the price is right. Handle as many as possible, find which one feels good, and go from there. Have fun with your purchase
FVR JR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2019, 08:24 AM   #28
duckboy007
Eight Point

Hunt In: TX, AR, & OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by FVR JR View Post
If it comes down to cost, you don't "need" a 3.5 inch gun. If you or anyone else wants one, no judgement here, but if they are too high for 2 3/4" they are probably too high for 3.5".
Totally agree. I goose hunt with 3 inch #2's all season. No need for the longer shells.
duckboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2019, 09:17 AM   #29
Coastal Ducks
Eight Point

I have owned a bunch of 3.5" guns and don't buy them anymore. There is no real benefit and I had more reliability problems with my 3.5" guns than I have with 3" guns. I've primarily shot Beretta, Benelli, Browning and Winchester shotguns. The 3" guns have been more dependable and less fickle. I don't think 3.5" shells are a real benefit anyway. You can bump yourself up to a nicer gun for the same money if you buy a 3".
Coastal Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2019, 11:25 AM   #30
trophy8
Pope & Young

A400 extreme is what I have. Hard to go wrong there.
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2019, 11:34 AM   #31
softpoint
Eight Point

Hunt In: anywhere I'm allowed

For waterfowl,I'd just stick with a pump gun, 870 3 1/2", or a Mossberg. Spend some of the leftover money on shells, and kill as many birds as anyone else....Use the high end guns for upland game/birds, and targets.
softpoint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2019, 02:14 PM   #32
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default shotgun recomendation

No need to spend your money on 3.5" loads or a shotgun that shoots them. They are purely overkill and was a waste of my money IMO and experience. I spent 18 years chasing those suckers and they were just not needed. I bought a Benelli SBE way back when and can count on one hand how many boxes of 3.5" I shot through it in all the years I owned it. Averaging 1.5-2 cases of 3" steel a year, that's not very many 3.5" shells. Most of the guys I hunted with and hung around with had 3.5” guns too and all ran 3” shells.

Get you a Beretta A300 or a Benelli M2/ Vinci...save your money, your shoulder and never have to deal with any issues a 3.5" receiver can occasionally brings with lighter clay loads. If I had it to do all over again, I would have bought the Benelli M-1 with a 3" chamber but I had to have the 3.5" cool cub gun. Now I shoot a Benelli M1 20ga at ducks, geese (although it has been a few years) and turkey that hammers them so you know those 12ga 3.5" roman candles are overkill. That 12 ga 3" load patterned better for me than the 3.5 as well and costs less to shoot. It's a no brainer.

Last edited by Smart; 05-10-2019 at 02:38 PM.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2019, 03:22 PM   #33
Txhuntr2
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney County

I love my franchi and would buy another in a heartbeat. A buddy of mine was in the market and he shot mine then bought one too. Great guns at a great price. I abuse it and it eats everything.
Txhuntr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2019, 07:45 PM   #34
CTR0022
Eight Point

i'd shoot an O/U before i shot a pump again. just my opinion. CZ makes some nice O/U that are camo'd out in your price range.

Cabelas has a great online gun library and will ship any gun from store to store for $25 so if you find a gun you like just have it shipped to the nearest store. I would imagine if you buy it they will ship to any FFL dealer.

As far as 3 or 3.5 - i have shot a lot of ducks with both and can see the arguments to both sides. however 3.5" #3's knock the **** out of ducks. For dove and skeet loads you have to shoot premium 1 1/8 oz shells like winchesters AA's or Rios. Economical 12ga shells will leave you cussing. If its a gas operated gun recoil is not that bad with any shell.

Generally the 3 B's are what you are looking for. I have shot a Browning Gold Hunter almost 20 years and have been very happy with it.
CTR0022 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2019, 07:56 PM   #35
Fmjag64
Ten Point

Old 05-10-2019, 08:06 PM   #36
MarkV
Pope & Young

A newer one on the market that a lot of guys I know are starting to use is retay. It's an inertia driven gun. Only knock is its light and may kick a little more than some. But would be something to look at.
MarkV is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-10-2019, 08:12 PM   #37
topher
Ten Point

Hunt In: Eastland County

Shot a many of ducks with a cheap-o shotgun-Mossberg 835 with 3 inch shells. Bought it back in the day for $225.00. No need to sky bust them suckers, you want the wings cup and feet almost on the water.
I do not like 3.5 inch shells, they rattle my insides.
That Remington has killed more birds than any other shotgun on the market.
On the other hand those nice shotguns are sure nice, Beretta’s are my choice but heard the Benelli’s are just as good-never shot one.
Good luck on your fine. There’s a lot of options out there.
topher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2019, 01:34 PM   #38
popo1984
Eight Point

Ended up getting a Stoeger 3500 Waterfowl Edition got it for 792.00 after discounts and free shipping

https://www.eurooptic.com/Stoeger-M3...n-3.aspxdition