Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-08-2019, 10:38 PM   #1
BuckRage
Ten Point

Default Moving to Houston area

Well after a long hard fought and stressful year... I was offered my dream position with a fantastic company. I can move anywhere around Houston area. I'd like to hear thoughts and opinions from those in the know of where that may be. I was initially thinking Katy but after some research I think North is the ticket from Spring up to Lake Conroe perhaps. Any other suggestions or thoughts on what I mentioned? Thanks fellas.
BuckRage is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2019, 10:41 PM   #2
eastxhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marsh / Central Tx

Are you gunna work downtown? Conroe is a good spot. I feel like Katy is far away from everything.

Be prepared you’re prolly gunna get all kinds of garbage replies from htown hating clowns on here - be prepared.
eastxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2019, 10:44 PM   #3
BuckRage
Ten Point

I know it. No sir I will be a regional so state of Texas is my territory. I'll work out of my home. I can live anywhere I choose to plant down.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:45 PM   #4
BuckRage
Ten Point

Maybe up near Navasota as well. My options are wide open.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:55 PM   #5
HoustonHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Houston/Angelina/Trinity Counties

I live in Conroe and love it (going on 3 years now). Grew up in east Texas then spent 6 years in Houston prior to my arrival here. Montgomery County is growing rapidly and has lots to offer. For me, I like the access to 45 and Hardy/Grand Parkway. I like being north of all of the “mess” when it comes to most traffic, flooding, etc. It still exists, but nothing like the city.

We are relatively close to IAH which makes flying anywhere easy.

There are lots of low key great places to eat, as well as top notch places in The Woodlands area.

Good entertainment options: Cynthia Woods for concerts, Lake Conroe for water (and soon to be Margaritaville). Doesn’t take too long to get to Minute Maid or Toyota Center on Hardy if you decide to venture out.

God willing you’ll keep your gig but if something were to happen there are a lot of opportunities in this area for work.

Lastly, it’s closer to the woods I hunt in, so that’s icing in the cake.
HoustonHunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2019, 10:58 PM   #6
Meatcutter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Yorktown/Groesbeck

Live at Augusta Pines off Kuykendahl. Back of Woodlands. Still kinda quiet here. Klein schools. Great place.
Meatcutter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2019, 10:58 PM   #7
BuckRage
Ten Point

I appreciate the feedback gentlemen!
Old 07-08-2019, 11:00 PM   #8
GigEmAgs07
Ten Point

Hunt In: Val Verde, London

Jersey Village is cool
GigEmAgs07 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2019, 11:53 PM   #9
futureagg
Six Point

Hunt In: Deep East Tx

If you like to fish. The Manvel area is exploding and Pearland schools are phenomenal.

If you want a lake. Conroe Area.

I have lived in Tomball, Pearland, and now Katy. If it was me. I would look towards magnolia personally. You will get more of a home town feeling there with some nice new neighborhoods. Katy is exploding... too quickly. I would avoid it. Yes I live in Katy currently, but it was the best option for me working in memorial city and avoiding toll roads to and from work ($250 a month from Tomball). Tomball/Spring area I have seen it starting to go down hill the last 10 years.

The woodlands are nice, but homes are just so expensive up there.

Fulshear is a nice area as well that is growing steadily.

I hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
futureagg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-08-2019, 11:54 PM   #10
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Fif Ward.
Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2019, 12:05 AM   #11
BowOnly81
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SHNF and Trinity Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHunter View Post
I live in Conroe and love it (going on 3 years now). Grew up in east Texas then spent 6 years in Houston prior to my arrival here. Montgomery County is growing rapidly and has lots to offer. For me, I like the access to 45 and Hardy/Grand Parkway. I like being north of all of the ďmessĒ when it comes to most traffic, flooding, etc. It still exists, but nothing like the city.

We are relatively close to IAH which makes flying anywhere easy.

There are lots of low key great places to eat, as well as top notch places in The Woodlands area.

Good entertainment options: Cynthia Woods for concerts, Lake Conroe for water (and soon to be Margaritaville). Doesnít take too long to get to Minute Maid or Toyota Center on Hardy if you decide to venture out.

God willing youíll keep your gig but if something were to happen there are a lot of opportunities in this area for work.

Lastly, itís closer to the woods I hunt in, so thatís icing in the cake.
Yep, what this guy said. Him and I live in the same subdivision and to me itís perfect location. Canít go wrong with conroe/woodlands area.
BowOnly81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2019, 12:28 AM   #12
BmacBmac1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sheridan Texas, SW Ohio

I am just a tad south of Conroe in the far North side of Spring (99/Gosling). Been here under a year, prior to was in Southwest Montgomery in Magnolia. Liked it even better but the drive to work sucked.

We really like it and itís far enough away from the HOUSTON mess.

Really depends on whatís important to you and your family overall in order to pick the best location.

If I can help in any way give me a shout.

BmacBmac1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2019, 12:43 AM   #13
bowhuntvideo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can

My daughter lives in the Heights. Funky neighborhood with great food,good drink and plenty to do. 8 minutes to downtown. She likes it and property appreciation is almost a given. Gentrification at its finest.

bowhuntvideo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2019, 01:58 AM   #14
ColinR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Roosevelt/Sonora

Just out of curiosity, if your territory is all of Texas and you can live anywhere, why would you choose the Houston area? Just curious not saying there aren’t some really nice areas around Houston just wouldn’t be my personal first choice if I could live anywhere else in this great state.
ColinR is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2019, 03:00 AM   #15
kingranch
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinR View Post
Just out of curiosity, if your territory is all of Texas and you can live anywhere, why would you choose the Houston area? Just curious not saying there arenít some really nice areas around Houston just wouldnít be my personal first choice if I could live anywhere else in this great state.
This is exactly what I was wondering....
kingranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2019, 03:49 AM   #16
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Hunt In: crockett, county

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinR View Post
Just out of curiosity, if your territory is all of Texas and you can live anywhere, why would you choose the Houston area? Just curious not saying there arenít some really nice areas around Houston just wouldnít be my personal first choice if I could live anywhere else in this great state.
I live in the Houston area and if I had my choice it wouldn't be here. I would either live around Kerrville, but most likely it would be the Rockport, Port A area.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2019, 04:07 AM   #17
BuckRage
Ten Point

I dont have a choice of all Texas. I have to be in a central hub location. San Antonio and Houston are the two main hubs and of course surrounding but the concentration of business as with most business is Houston area so that makes a lot more sense in order to get the most out of it. I will be handling STX ... south of i10 basically.
Old 07-09-2019, 04:15 AM   #18
BuckRage
Ten Point

BTW I appreciate all of the help. It's going to be very helpful.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:12 AM   #19
Big pig
Ten Point

Hunt In: Goliad and Leon Co.

Budget for home?
I would go for a gated area somewhere close to 99
Cypress has good schools and 290 construction will be finished someday .
BP
Big pig is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2019, 05:13 AM   #20
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

I've been in tomball or magnolia (the real magnolia not Woodlands lite 2978 area) since 1988. Office downtown and work from one end of harris county to the other almost daily.

If I could move it would be Grimes or Walker county. Huntsville, navasota even toward Brenham.

Tomball magnolia area ain't what it used to be.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2019, 06:05 AM   #21
miket
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grimes County, Victoria

If you are a city person the Woodlands area ( and the areas around there the above guys recommended ) would be a good place to check out. Otherwise I would look farther North up to Walker County.

I would stay as far away from the actual city of Houston as possible but wont expound to minimize the risk of hurting someones feelings.

Congrats on the job!
miket is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2019, 06:06 AM   #22
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

Moved from San Antonio to Houston a year ago and if you have the option to live in SA I’d take that in a heart beat!

We moved to just outside the inner loop last year and it was meh. Just moved east of 45 up here in the woodlands and enjoy it 10x’s more. Im still very new but I’d look at The Woodlands/Conroe area, Katy, or even Pearland.
3 different sides of town but all bueno and put you where you need to be but once again if you can do SA in the Boerne or New Braunfels areas it wouldn’t even be close in my books.

Good luck and congrats on the new gig!
150class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2019, 06:17 AM   #23
Cberry
Spike

If you're main hobby is hunting and depending on where you want to hunt, I would recommend north side of town. I mainly hunt up in East North East and use to live in the Clear Lake League City area and it was a minimum 2 hour drive just to get to the South side of Sam Houston. We just moved up to Tomball and now Sam Houston is 45 minutes and it cut an hour and a half off of my drive to all of the woods I hunt. Clear Lake/League City area is nice just pricey and far from where I spend my weekends.
Cberry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2019, 06:26 AM   #24
rut-ro
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon,Madison and Zavalla

As mentioned before I would look at two locations, Old Montgomery County as mentioned before. Or the other direction in Needville. Needville is a growing community with great schools. Kids still have to tuck in shirts, groom and say yes mam, no mam, and they still give pops in school.
rut-ro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2019, 06:34 AM   #25
d_e_smith
Pope & Young

Hunt In: ETX

We had the option to move anywhere around Houston and decided on Kingwood. 59 and Grand Parkway are the lesser of evils on commutes, good schools for the kiddos and really donít have to leave the bubble for much.
d_e_smith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2019, 06:38 AM   #26
Snowflake Killa
Ten Point

Yeah any where off 45, 249 is great I wouldn't slum around 59 east Montgomery to much meth

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Snowflake Killa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2019, 06:39 AM   #27
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
Yeah any where off 45, 249 is great I wouldn't slum around 59 east Montgomery to much meth

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Hey now.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:40 AM   #28
Kevin Warren
Ten Point

Hunt In: Corrigan

Stay out of Harris county. We live in Waller county. You will appreciate the difference in taxes.
Kevin Warren is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2019, 06:49 AM   #29
150class
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
Hey now.
Speaking of one of the meth heads.....

Old 07-09-2019, 06:52 AM   #30
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150class View Post
Speaking of one of the meth heads.....

The irony of this is, the guy that posted talking crap about EMC, lives in Shepherd.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:59 AM   #31
CEO
Pope & Young

There are a lot of good areas on the north side. All depends on what type of feel you like. Where I live is a little more city than I like but the wife loves being near the freeway. Lake Conroe, Magnolia, Montgomery, New Waverly. Spring would be the absolute southern border if looking north on 45.

99 has also opened up some areas that were a pain to get to in the past.

Always liked Pearland when I was on the south side but haven't been that way in years.
CEO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2019, 07:00 AM   #32
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

Buy a travel trailer/5th wheel and good truck.. travel and work out of it.
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2019, 07:09 AM   #33
Clay C
Ten Point

I currently live in Conroe and have to say it's grown on me. As others above mentioned it's close to everything without being too much of a mess.
Clay C is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2019, 07:28 AM   #34
TexasBob
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
I've been in tomball or magnolia (the real magnolia not Woodlands lite 2978 area) since 1988. Office downtown and work from one end of harris county to the other almost daily.

If I could move it would be Grimes or Walker county. Huntsville, navasota even toward Brenham.

Tomball magnolia area ain't what it used to be.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
This, but been in Magnolia since I was born in 83. Did live in Walker county for a couple years while at Sam Houston. Houston is a cool city, any city has it's problems. A few more details:

1. My address says Magnolia, but you will see stagecoach on the map and I'm a mile from there. Gated neighborhood, I live in one of the cheaper homes honestly (also bought at the real estate bottom).Its a great hood, but its $450k plus to move in now. You will find this throughout the area unfortunately. I couldn't afford my house at today's prices, or at least wouldn't want to. Home values skyrocketed a few years ago all around here. Sounds like a great opportunity for you, that may not be an issue. Also, there's a crap travel trailer park across the street from the gate, and another up the road. Just what you deal with in the area but not everyone is ok with a high dollar house a block away from a field of junk RVs.

2. Walker county is great, in laws still live there. Its quiet, lake and river access is easy. Close to National forest. My wife didn't like it- you have to go down to the woodlands for major shopping. We also lived in Riverside so it was a drive just to hit 45. Area is growing, and Huntsville offers a lot more than when we lived there. Would be my second choice.

3. Brenham area up 290 would be my choice in the Houston area. Still quiet, not overgrown. If you are close to 290 you can be anywhere in the Houston area via 290 or 99 fairly easily. You can also head toward Austin via 290 easily which leads to comment below.

4. I would hub out of San Antonio and live around New Braunfels or Seguin, but that's just my personal preference. You asked for opinions
TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2019, 07:38 AM   #35
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Warren View Post
Stay out of Harris county. We live in Waller county. You will appreciate the difference in taxes.
Waller is climbing though

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
This, but been in Magnolia since I was born in 83. Did live in Walker county for a couple years while at Sam Houston. Houston is a cool city, any city has it's problems. A few more details:

1. My address says Magnolia, but you will see stagecoach on the map and I'm a mile from there. Gated neighborhood, I live in one of the cheaper homes honestly (also bought at the real estate bottom).Its a great hood, but its $450k plus to move in now. You will find this throughout the area unfortunately. I couldn't afford my house at today's prices, or at least wouldn't want to. Home values skyrocketed a few years ago all around here. Sounds like a great opportunity for you, that may not be an issue. Also, there's a crap travel trailer park across the street from the gate, and another up the road. Just what you deal with in the area but not everyone is ok with a high dollar house a block away from a field of junk RVs.

2. Walker county is great, in laws still live there. Its quiet, lake and river access is easy. Close to National forest. My wife didn't like it- you have to go down to the woodlands for major shopping. We also lived in Riverside so it was a drive just to hit 45. Area is growing, and Huntsville offers a lot more than when we lived there. Would be my second choice.

3. Brenham area up 290 would be my choice in the Houston area. Still quiet, not overgrown. If you are close to 290 you can be anywhere in the Houston area via 290 or 99 fairly easily. You can also head toward Austin via 290 easily which leads to comment below.

4. I would hub out of San Antonio and live around New Braunfels or Seguin, but that's just my personal preference. You asked for opinions

Indigo ranch?

No one has mentioned the new sections of 290 have pretty much eliminated the old traffic. Sure there is rush hour delays but at 530am when I get on 290 you'll flat get RUNT OVER going 65. The left two lanes are humming at 85 all the way to the loop
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2019, 07:50 AM   #36
cbd10pt
Ten Point

Hunt In: looking for new places
Default League city

The South side has treated me well.
It's not quite as congested as the North and West.
As a bonus the gulf is in your backyard.
I don't know what size home you're after.
We are 4 blocks from Kemah, and we are needing a slightly larger home for my daughter moving down. If you do end up moving close to or on saltwater make sure your home is spray foamed, it's the best way to combat the humidity.

https://www.har.com/4805-loures-lane/sale_36237145
cbd10pt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2019, 07:52 AM   #37
TexasBob
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
Indigo ranch?

No one has mentioned the new sections of 290 have pretty much eliminated the old traffic. Sure there is rush hour delays but at 530am when I get on 290 you'll flat get RUNT OVER going 65. The left two lanes are humming at 85 all the way to the loop
Yes Sir. Know you are out my way somewhere. Good point on 290, definitely isn't the headache it once was. I do the METRO park and ride for now, so I don't even notice.
TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2019, 07:56 AM   #38
AZST_bowhunter
Ten Point

The woodlands or north... Or Kerville... I live in Cypress, it's not bad, but still a to much city for me
AZST_bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2019, 07:57 AM   #39
Hooverfb
Ten Point

If you want to be closer to hunting spots, north side. If you want to be closer to the gulf, south side in league city or such. If you want more city feeling, then Woodlands or the heights. The feel and lifestyle of the areas can be dramatically different just a block away or so.
Hooverfb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2019, 08:30 AM   #40
Dmillerdesign
Four Point

Hunt In: TX

This is my third time moving to and living in Houston. I have lived in the Memorial Area downtown, Katy, and now currently Conroe.

-Downtown is nice for access to entertainment and bustle of a big city, but not for me anymore, as we have (2) kids and like a little more room for the price.
-Katy is straight suburbia, to me there is no local 'feel' since it is all suburb development
-Conroe is by far the best! We are living in Carriage Hills off 1488, they have bigger wooded lots. We are actually Conroe ETJ and Woodlands School District. Best of both worlds. The access to activities for kids, dining, and space is great. Also a quick trip to downtown is easy. Development in the area is continuing to happen and will continue to get more crowded. I like it because the heavily wooded areas don't feel like we are in 'Houston' but have access when we want.

Also, I do 60% of my hunting in E TX so, it's quick trip to properties and in-laws. Plus, Sam Houston NF is a pretty fun place to go explore and hunt too (quick and easy access from Conroe)
Dmillerdesign is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2019, 08:33 AM   #41
batmaninja
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckRage View Post
. I will be handling STX ... south of i10 basically.
59 S corridor, basically from I-10 to 288 look at the school districts and stay away from flood. Sugarland, Rosenburg, or Fulshear. But no Missouri City, Sharpstown, Alief, Kendelton or Beasley.

Map below may help
Attached Images

batmaninja is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2019, 08:34 AM   #42
Saltaholic
Associate Sponsor

If you are going to be south of I-10 and traveling west then look deep SW side, Rosenberg, East Bernard, Needville etc. Avoid the big city and avoid the big suburbs...
Saltaholic is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2019, 08:38 AM   #43
BitBackShot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano County

With those parameters, I might live in Bellville/Blieberville/Cat Springs area. Only an hour from Houston, but small town life.

Good luck. Conroe area is nice but has exploded like everywhere else.
BitBackShot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2019, 08:38 AM   #44
jjaimes
Ten Point

I just moved to Richmond (Sugar Land area) for a job opportunity and have liked it so far. However, I have a place in East Texas around Woodville area so the drive can be a pain at times. I'm also looking into moving up north if everything works out after my apartment lease is done. How bad is the drive heading North from Sugarland in the evenings? Is it best to maybe look at job opportunities closer up there? What are some of yall's opinions on this?
jjaimes is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2019, 08:46 AM   #45
eastxhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marsh / Central Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by batmaninja View Post
59 S corridor, basically from I-10 to 288 look at the school districts and stay away from flood. Sugarland, Rosenburg, or Fulshear. But no Missouri City, Sharpstown, Alief, Kendelton or Beasley.

Map below may help
Thatís hilariously accurate 😂
eastxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2019, 08:51 AM   #46
150class
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by batmaninja View Post

Map below may help
This is killing me lol
Old 07-09-2019, 08:52 AM   #47
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fort Bend, Gillespie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastxhunter View Post
Thatís hilariously accurate 😂
Bahahahaha! Holy hell that is pure greatness!!
Backwoods101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2019, 09:04 AM   #48
deerplanter
Ten Point

I live in Beach City which is east of Baytown and really like it. The school district is one of the best around Barber's Hill and it's in Chambers county.
deerplanter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2019, 09:11 AM   #49
captainsling
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Dilley, Texas

I would say it depends on what you like to do. If you frequently go fishing, I would go toward the South side. Katy is 1 1/2 hours form the water. Growing up on the coast that was difficult for me to be that far from the water. However, I hunt more than I fish, so where I hunt is easier and faster to get to from the West side. If I hunted East Texas, it would be a longer drive, and I would want to be on the North side. That being said, any of the burbs are really now part of Houston, and the drive into town for ball games, or museums, or such are about the same with toll ways.

I love being in old Katy. Still feeling like a small town, but still growing, with growing pains. If I had to choose different, I would probably go toward Pearland, or further South.

Would never consider the East side at all.

Last edited by captainsling; 07-09-2019 at 09:14 AM.
captainsling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2019, 09:13 AM   #50
denimdeerslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Waller

FYI 290 is just about done and now is one of the fastest freeways. I-45 from north is a nightmare now. And coming from Katy isnt any fun either.
denimdeerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top