Will addition of a quiver cause slap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will addition of a quiver cause slap?

Bought one of those little eagle flight quivers from Terry at vanderpool. Shot it for a while on the range and never had a problem. Get home and had a few forearms slaps last night while blank bailing. Of course now the welts are so big and sore that I can't stop hitting it again. Can just adding a quiver cause this? Seems like the weight or something is causing the bow to torque in my hand if I don't have a firm grip on the bow. I shoot elbow out with my hand as far to the outside as I can. Guess it's time I get a arm guard just for these instances, but never needed one before, as a slap meant I did something wrong and I usually felt it on release.

Will add that this is all on my black hills II at 45 lbs

Do you cant your bow Andy?
    And do you have a picture of the quiver attached to the bow?

Comment

I cant a little. Hasn't been a problem before.

Comment

This bow is about to get a new string, new arrows and a fresh tuning with the quiver on. Would tuning it with the quiver help reduce this? or am I destined to just buy an arm guard if I insist on keeping the quiver on it?

Comment

A quiver as nothing to do with string slap. A quiver can alter your tuning but not string slap. My guess is either your brace height has changed or you are griping the bow differently causing your elbow to rotate in which puts your forearm in the way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

The position of the welt says my elbow is staying out where it should be.

I read something earlier about a similar deal that a guy thought that the addition slowed the inertia of the bow wanting to lunge forward, which would result in the bow twisting in the hand and slapping the arm. Seem feasible?

Comment

If you have never shot with a quiver on your bow before I would guess that you are gripping the bow slightly different not being used to the added weight of the quiver. I have never had a problem with string slap from putting a quiver on a bow. Once you get used to the added weight you should be ok

Comment

i shoot with a bow quiver and I noticed that when I take the quiver off my bow string clears my arm a lot more so that tells me I torque my bow a bit. In your case you probably don't torque, so it is reducing your bow torque and hitting your arm. The accuracy for me is the same with or without . I personally like side quivers but I live in brushy area so the bow quiver works for me going through brush, so I just got used to it .

Comment

The reason I asked whether or not you cant the bow is that I have noticed that it matters when it comes to grip, which has an impact on slap.

Hold your bow out vertically with a loose hand. depending on if you heel it or not, it may want to rotate forward or back, but usually, not side to side. Now start to cant it a bit and notice that it wants to rotate in a certain direction... usually away from you. The addition of a quiver adds to that and as others have said, it may cause you to grip it differently to avoid that during the follow through of the shot.

I shoot close to vertical now, so I don't typically notice a difference with the quiver on vs off. But I used to notice the quiver a lot more when I started off and I canted.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                    The reason I asked whether or not you cant the bow is that I have noticed that it matters when it comes to grip, which has an impact on slap.

Hold your bow out vertically with a loose hand. depending on if you heel it or not, it may want to rotate forward or back, but usually, not side to side. Now start to cant it a bit and notice that it wants to rotate in a certain direction... usually away from you. The addition of a quiver adds to that and as others have said, it may cause you to grip it differently to avoid that during the follow through of the shot.

I shoot close to vertical now, so I don't typically notice a difference with the quiver on vs off. But I used to notice the quiver a lot more when I started off and I canted.
                    I really only cant when I'm having a rough day shooting. Always been loose gripped, and pretty well set in stone as far as grip consistency since the rod jenkins clinic a few years ago. So adding the quiver, i dont feel like i changed anything grip wise. I never change anything when i put the quiver on the recurve, but dont have this problem with it. I'm about set that it has something to do with putting a quiver and arrows on a small and light bow. Removing just the arrows made a slight change, but not testing much more til i get a cheap arm guard. I'm black and blue right now as it is.

Comment

It's those Popeye arms Brother

Comment

Working...
                      X