X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

not enough wear on tooth 5 to be a 5.5 year old

Comment

Good feedback. I judged this buck to be 3.5-4.5 on the hoof. Guy at the camp "aged" the teeth and said it was 2.5 which I was absolutely sure was inaccurate based on body and antler mass and width. I am a novice at tooth aging so I thought I'd get some input.

Comment

Originally posted by 12thman View Post
          Good feedback. I judged this buck to be 3.5-4.5 on the hoof. Guy at the camp "aged" the teeth and said it was 2.5 which I was absolutely sure was inaccurate based on body and antler mass and width. I am a novice at tooth aging so I thought I'd get some input.
          I think you were spot on with your judgment

Comment

No guys, really, based on tooth wear method, it's a slam dunk 3 year old. If I were in need of a collection, I would keep that jaw as the perfect example of a 3 year old. Seriously. That's not quoting someone else, or offering opinion. The actual age of the deer can be in question, but not the age based on tooth wear. It's 3 1/2.

Comment

Originally posted by WamBow View Post
              4.75 and 3/8ths
              Mathematician eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                No way that one is 3.5.

This is textbook 5.5 year old jawbone.

Wear is evident on all six teeth, making the dentine wider than the enamel on all teeth. Lingual crests are rounded on the first and second molars. Dentine in tooth six is wider than the enamel. Textbook 5.5 year old.
                Wish you were aging them on our lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                  No way that one is 3.5.

This is textbook 5.5 year old jawbone.

Wear is evident on all six teeth, making the dentine wider than the enamel on all teeth. Lingual crests are rounded on the first and second molars. Dentine in tooth six is wider than the enamel. Textbook 5.5 year old.
                  Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
                  No guys, really, based on tooth wear method, it's a slam dunk 3 year old. If I were in need of a collection, I would keep that jaw as the perfect example of a 3 year old. Seriously. That's not quoting someone else, or offering opinion. The actual age of the deer can be in question, but not the age based on tooth wear. It's 3 1/2.

One of these, I believe is correct.

It's either a textbook 5 1/2, or a slam dunk 3 1/2

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                    One of these, I believe is correct.

It's either a textbook 5 1/2, or a slam dunk 3 1/2

Go to the link below, scroll down to, "Age Determination of Whitetail Deer", download the PDF file, fully read and understand terminology and methodology, then post the age of OP's jaw. By the way, Lingual means tongue side, not cheek side. Hint: lingual side of deer's jaw is obvious in OP's photo.

Information about White-tailed Deer in Texas. Research and Game Management, Hunting information, publications and general resources.

If you need more help, just ask. That is, if you get anything other than 3.5 years, then ask what it is that you're not understanding, but don't ask until after you've fully the document.

Comment

3.5-6.5 depending..

Comment

I’m no expert, but just based on those pics, I would call him 3.5

Comment

Comment

yup. 3.5.

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
                              Based on the tooth wear method, this deer was 3 1/2. Looking at the lingual crests (that is the tallest parts of each tooth on the tongue side), I would consider the dentine (that's the dark lines) on tooth 4 to be as wide or wider than the enamel (white stuff), but not on tooth 5, and certainly not tooth 6 as the dentine is only a very thin line.
                              ^^^this^^^

Comment

Working...
                              X