AR-10 .308 Ammo Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AR-10 .308 Ammo Questions

Just curious and looking for more information.

I’m shooting a DPMS AR10, .308 with a 1:10 twist.

What ammo do you recommend to get the best groupings?

Also, what ammo brand, grain and bullet type do you recommend to shoot for deer/axis hunting?
    Attached Files

My AR10 has same twist and it didnt like the 150gr ammo much but shoots great with the 165gr. I'm using the Honrady 165gr Superformance.

Comment

165gr Federal Fusion or the 168gr Speer Gold Dot.

Comment

Originally posted by Fmjag64 View Post
        My AR10 has same twist and it didnt like the 150gr ammo much but shoots great with the 165gr. I'm using the Honrady 165gr Superformance.
        It’s funny that you say this because I think that my rifle hates the 150 grain also. My groupings are pretty sporadic.....The DPMS website recommends a 160+ grain bullet for the 1:10 so I ordered some 168 grain. I can’t wait to see how they shoot.

Comment

I have a DPMS AR10 with 24" barrel
          I currently reload with 178 Amax, and around 43.0 gns of Varget. I remember around 0.6" groups. It has been a few years since I was messing with it. I have unfortunately been occupied with many other things. I know I checked headspace every time, and didn't trim as often. COAL 2.755, trim length 2.009

The long tip on the Amax can cause problems in the mag if you don't set overall length correct. It's a really good bullet for deer and hogs. It makes the insides look like they were tossed in a blender.

Comment

Mine shoots 165+ best. AMAX is good.

Comment

If I am hog hunting I shoot 168 grain soft point steel case wolf. If I am hunting for any other species I shoot the 168 grain Maker Overwatch.

I have been really impressed with the wolf ammo actually, the makers ammo is just flat out incredible.

Comment

I have tried numerous ammos, everything from 150-180gr, the best groupings i am getting is from the Nosler 165gr BT's

Comment

Originally posted by bowsticker View Post
                  It’s funny that you say this because I think that my rifle hates the 150 grain also. My groupings are pretty sporadic.....The DPMS website recommends a 160+ grain bullet for the 1:10 so I ordered some 168 grain. I can’t wait to see how they shoot.
                  Yea generally with the 1:10 twist, the heavier 160gr+ bullets typically group and shoot better. For me it was drastically better. Try the 165gr or 168gr bullets.

Comment

Originally posted by bowsticker View Post
                    Just curious and looking for more information.

I’m shooting a DPMS AR10, .308 with a 1:10 twist.

What ammo do you recommend to get the best groupings?

Also, what ammo brand, grain and bullet type do you recommend to shoot for deer/axis hunting?
                    I'm in the process of building an AR-10. I have a fully assembled lower, but I can't seem to find a full upper on DPMS website. Any suggestions?

Comment

Mine likes core lokt but really prints well with hornaday match 168bthp

Comment

Originally posted by jodaco70 View Post
                        I'm in the process of building an AR-10. I have a fully assembled lower, but I can't seem to find a full upper on DPMS website. Any suggestions?
                        Palmetto State Armory.

Comment

165 - 168 grain work good. Fusion or Federal Premium. Clean barrel too. Stupid accurate.

Comment

My AR-10 has a 16 inch 1-10 twist. It likes 175 match ammo.

Comment

I shoot 150 grain Cor Lokt.
                              Why? $18/box vs $42/box for Hornady gmx

As Always My Heart is filled with Love for you and Your Families. Not because I am commanded to Love my Neighbor but because I can, am able to and it brings me Joy.

Comment

Working...
                              X