A November to remember

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A November to remember

Sitting in a blind remembering all this; I'm just gonna type as it comes to me. Long story short, wife shot her first buck, I shot my biggest. Skip to pics if you're in a hurry.

Opening day of general season fell a day after my daughters 1st birthday and 2 days before my wifes (Nichole's)... birthday (which birthfay is irrelevant). Nichole started hunting the year we met, about 7 seasons ago. She had no prior experience, but took to it quickly and shot a nice doe that first year. She has taken a couple of does since, all with her rifle. She has picked up bow hunting, but with a couple of babies, loss of a lease, and graciously allowing me the first opportunity in almost every situation, she has yet to see success with the stick and string.

This year, we leased a new property in Concho county. Being a two buck county I was hopeful there'd be an opportunity for her to take her first buck, and still allow me to chase something a little more elusive.

Well on opening day, we decided that I'd hunt the morning so our still nursing 1 year and a day girl could sleep in with mama. I was on stand early and saw a nice 8 point. I knew he'd be perfect for Nicholes 1st buck.

I returned to camp, and eagerly showed her the pictures. In the mean time ,my dad had shot a nice doe, and offered to stay in camp with the kids so she and I could hunt together.

We made our way to the blind, both of us cussing the warmth having dressed for the impending cold after sunset. We waited a while, but once the feeder spun we started seeing the young bucks and the does. We had a couple false alarms before we saw the buck we were after. He came in and immediately took off after a doe, but it wasn't long before he came back to give us another opportunity. Nichole didnt hesitate on the 2nd chance and placed a 168 gr. .308 hornady round right in his bouler room. We watched him go down from the blind.
    Attached Files

Absolutely....congrats all the way around

Comment

Great first buck

Comment

We hadn't planned to return to the lease until thanksgiving week, but I've been a bit burned out and felt the need for a getaway. Nichole didn't balk at the idea, so I headed West Friday evening after work. I got on stand a little late this morning, but still well before sunrise. By the light of the moon I could see bucks chasing does through the mesquite and brush and figured on an eventful morning. Just before sunrise I saw what I knew was a very good sized buck near the feeder, and then at legal light the same buck busted me as I tried to get my scope on him for a closer look. I'm certain that it was the big 10 we had seen on camera a few times. I was sure that I would not get another opportunity at him. BUT, the feeder spun about 30 minutes later. A couple small bucks were milling around. Then, a few does showed up, and I knew they might be just the thing to.lure the bug ten back into range.

Sure enough, as the does settle in under the feeder, I catch movement to the right. I see a big body coming in but no antlers yet. All of the deer immediately turn to face the incoming brute, confirming my suspicion that it's the big 10. As he steps into the open, I quickly glance at his headgear to verify then settlybthe ctmrosshairs behind his shoulder. I wait for a deer behind him to clear the way and let the. 308 bark. He is the biggest buck I've had the pleasure of hunting, and will be the first deer I shoulder mount. I couldnt be happier, although I'm not sure what to do with the rest of my season.
        Attached Files

Comment

Sorry for the typos, did this on my phone, too much to edit

Comment

Congrats to both you and your wife

Comment

Congrats to both of you

Comment

Nice deer! Congrats to both!

Comment

congrats both nice bucks

Comment

Congrats, 2 times, 2 times.

Comment

Congrats to you both!!

Comment

Congratulations to both of you! Nice bucks.

Comment

Congrats, enjoyed the write up.

Comment

Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congratulations!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X