Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Breaking the most important rule of firearms....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breaking the most important rule of firearms....

Went on a field trip to Goliad State park and the Presidio yesterday with my son. Towards the end of our trip one of the older gentlemen who volunteers gathered the kids around so they could see him fire an old flintlock style rifle. He cleared the barrel. That much I know for sure. Then he loaded it with "just powder" and the paper wad. In the process of loading he swung that gun barrrel at probably every kid and except mine and another. He then points it at a gentleman standing across the field and tells everyone he is gonna shoot his hat off his head. He shot his "blanks" 3 times in the direction of others. While I was standing out of the way (and making sure my boy was) I overheard him telling a story of how a parent on a past trip wanted to call the law on him for the same type of behavior. He then went on to explain that he was shooting "blanks" (powder and wad) and that he had permission to fire his rifle anywhere and any direction he wanted to on the property. Now maybe I am just different, or maybe it's an underlying will to survive, but I didn't like it at all. I didn't say a word as it was obvious the argument had been made and lost before. I realize it's for show, but it is a live firearm once charged. At the very least it could have been a teachable moment in firearm safety for these city kids. Any thoughts on the subject?
    Last edited by ON THE EDGE; 03-25-2017, 03:16 AM.

I don't like a toy gun pointed at me, I don't think I could have been quite

Comment

I forgot. It even got better. One of the teachers and a parent wanted to volunteer to be the target. SMH

Comment

People have been killed by blanks, I'd have returned fire.

Comment

Oh it would have been a teachable moment all right. You handled that better than I think I would.

Comment

He's an accident, just waiting to happen.
            Some people don't have common sense anymore.

Comment

Somebody is going to take that gun from him and go upside his head with it.

Very unsafe and definitely not something that should be exhibited for children.

Comment

Originally posted by DonBon View Post
                Oh it would have been a teachable moment all right. You handled that better than I think I would.

My thoughts exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by ON THE EDGE View Post
                  I forgot. It even got better. One of the teachers and a parent wanted to volunteer to be the target. SMH
                  That is actually a pretty good idea. They volunteer needs to stand within about 15 feet to get the full effect of the wad and just some slight powder burns.

Think of the awesome demonstration and secondary benefit of a great teaching moment .......

Comment

Opportunity lost for sure.

Comment

Time to gather up your kid and get the hell away from that idiot, and explain why !

Comment

Ask Brandon Lee in the movie "the crow" how that worked for him.

Comment

Originally posted by drycreek3189 View Post
                          time to gather up your kid and get the hell away from that idiot, and explain why !
                          this!

Lwd

Comment

The arrogance of false familiarity gets people killed all of the time;......"It's okay, I've been (insert potentially dangerous activity here) since I was a kid!"

cricman

Comment

Yea, you have better self-control than me.

Comment

Working...
                              X