Timed vs Free Choice Protein Feeders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timed vs Free Choice Protein Feeders

I'm considering feeding protein on a new place I'm hunting. It is 630 acres. I'm going back and forth between timed or free choice feeders.

I like the ability to control when protein is available with the timed feeders. That would lead to your deer feeding in daylight hours if you only had it feeding in daylight hours. It would also allow me to control the cost by controlling how much protein I'm feeding. The question is do the deer get the benefit of protein if it is available but not in an unlimited free choice amount?

I've looked at the timed protein feeders from Lamco, HB and All Seasons. Krivoman isn't an option logistically. The troughs on the Lamco and HB look to be more maintenance than I want because they would fill with rain water. That's more trouble that I'm looking for because the place is 2.5 hours away so I'd probably go with the All Seasons 600 pound timed protein feeders.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	All Seasons.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	25106662

If I go with a free choice I'll go with a Lamco feeder such as this in either 700, 1100 or 2000 pounds.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lamco 700.png
Views:	1
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	25106664

My questions are:
    1. Timed or free choice and why?
    2. How many protein feeders are needed on 630 acres?
    3. How many pounds of protein ball park should I expect to feed on 630 acres?

Thanks

"Do deer get the benefit.."
    Any protein is better than none IMO

1. Free Choice if you can afford it,
    2. 2-4 (TBHr The Texan has a ranch of similar size and 4 works well with the shape of the ranch)
    3. Depends on deer density- above mentioned ranch has been 12k and 14k Lbs the past two years (I think) with protein from Jan 1- Mid August

Comment

1. Timed to feed at night in three different times so bucks and doe can take turns
      2. 4 buy two free choice two timed see what works best for you
      3. 1200 lbs per unit month x 12months year round

This topic is well discussed in other post discussions did you use search yet??
      Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 02-05-2017, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
        1. Timed to feed at night in three different times so bucks and doe can take turns
        2. 4 buy two free choice two timed see what works best for you
        3. 1200 lbs per unit month x 12months year round

This topic is well discussed in other post discussions did you use search yet??
        Yes I searched the old threads but wanted to hear people's opinions about how much I can expect to feed on my sized place, my feeder choices, etc.

Comment

The Lamco troughs are open on the ends so they will not fill with water, I really like mine, once you figure out how much to feed they are great, I put a cell camera on mine so I could monitor the feed pretty well.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin' Darts View Post
            Yes I searched the old threads but wanted to hear people's opinions about how much I can expect to feed on my sized place, my feeder choices, etc.
            More ports you have more deer you will feed.

Bucks run in bachelor groups in the summer. There are dominant deer in those bachelor groups. Those deer eat first. What are the other guys going while the dominant ones are eating...nothing they are watching.

If you run timed, more ports(stations) are better(same goes for gravity, but especially timed) and only feed durning the cool of the night.

Most guys feed cotton seed to cheapen up their protien bill, in reality they are feeding more deer because it allows more bucks in the bachelor group to feed.
            Last edited by Texans42; 02-05-2017, 01:41 PM.

Comment

I have free choice and krivoman 1500lb feeders with hammers. We hunt on 4500 acres but I would say the way locations are spread out I am feeding 6-8 hundred acres, and they ate three tons in January. This is five locations. But your deer density could be different. To your question do timed feeders help in my opinion yes.

Comment

1. Free Choice-As much as they want, anytime they want it.
                2. As many as you can afford to keep full. I'd run 5-6.
                3. Depends on deer density. I'd guess 400-500 lbs per week.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin' Darts View Post
                  I'm considering feeding protein on a new place I'm hunting. It is 630 acres. I'm going back and forth between timed or free choice feeders.

I like the ability to control when protein is available with the timed feeders. That would lead to your deer feeding in daylight hours if you only had it feeding in daylight hours. It would also allow me to control the cost by controlling how much protein I'm feeding. The question is do the deer get the benefit of protein if it is available but not in an unlimited free choice amount?

I've looked at the timed protein feeders from Lamco, HB and All Seasons. Krivoman isn't an option logistically. The troughs on the Lamco and HB look to be more maintenance than I want because they would fill with rain water. That's more trouble that I'm looking for because the place is 2.5 hours away so I'd probably go with the All Seasons 600 pound timed protein feeders.
                  [ATTACH]839541[/ATTACH]

If I go with a free choice I'll go with a Lamco feeder such as this in either 700, 1100 or 2000 pounds.

[ATTACH]839544[/ATTACH]

My questions are:
                  1. Timed or free choice and why?
                  2. How many protein feeders are needed on 630 acres?
                  3. How many pounds of protein ball park should I expect to feed on 630 acres?

Thanks

1. Obviously, you have a budget in mind that may not allow you to keep feed in your feeders 24/7. That leads me to believe that you would be better served with some type of timed feeder to help you manage how much and when your deer eat.

2. As stated above, the more the better but generally, a feeder for every 150-200 acres. If your hunting grounds are a good distance from home, consider getting the biggest feeder you can so that your fuel expenses don't eat into your feed dollars. JMO

3. Lots of factors in determining how much feed to expect you'll feed. I feed 75# per day on 300 acres, split between 2 stations. I do it with a timed feeder. They'd probably eat more than 100# per day free choice if I put it out, but 75# a day is my limit.

Comment

I'd think 3-4 free choice. I like the larger (have 1800-2000 lb).

was on a lease where one guy used a timed one. Think it was still throwing after the season -- so might as well just dumped a bag each time he went out. And they used 2 small ones that were empty after a few weeks.

Comment

A biologist told me a deer will travel 600-800 yards to a feed station so, 1 protein feeder per 150-160 acres is good according to him. We run 3 900# bighorn metals free choice protein feeders on our place and we fill each one for $180 every month

Comment

I've got two lamcos. The troughs are no issue as rain drains out the ends. One of mine has a rain sensor which keeps it from feeding if it's raining real hard. Light rain is no issue...the deer eat it regardless. I feed twice a day and since I'm 5 hours from the lease, the timed feeding meters out the protein so it lasts between trips ( about 4 weeks).

Comment

3 protein spots for that size. All free choice or your not doing anything for them health or horn wise

Comment

I prefer free choice. I look at the amount of deer per feeder vs. amount of feeders per "x' amount of acres. I want 8-10 deer per feeder if at all possible so they can all take advantage of the feed when they need it. I would also add more feeders per location as deer numbers increase. I understand that for many that is not possible. If I were going to limit feed then I would limit feed with a feeder that would give me the most flexibility to feed as many deer as I can or more of the deer I want to target. In South Texas you need more feeders spaced per feed location since one dominant buck will keep a lot of other bucks away from feed till he is done. Deer will only travel so far under good range conditions to a feeder and that will vary from area to area or ranch to ranch. It is when it gets really dry that they will travel farther. Spacing feeders apart allows the deer to utilize the native habitat better also.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                              3 protein spots for that size. All free choice or your not doing anything for them health or horn wise
                              pretty stupid statement there. There are definitely places that grow big deer using timed feeders.

Comment

Working...
                              X