Hunters Willing To Help Newbs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ociun View Post
    What archery gear would you guys recommend for beginners?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    Prepare yourself

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
      Have PM'd Mods to move to the campfire...will get more hits than the test forum.
      Thanks. I appreciate it.

Comment

Tons of good info above.

I love the utility knife. Have been using one for the last 10 years or so on all game. Look for the "safety blades" for work other than zipping through the skin.

I recently bought a Havalon knife, the Piranta with the heavy blades, it is the finest skinner I've ever used. Love it, and will never travel without it again.

I like to use light duty disposable dish gloves, rather than surgical gloves. They are a little thicker, and the longer cuff is nice to keep your shirt cuffs from getting bloody.

Nothing will substitute for spending time in the woods to learn your quarry. You can start in the city park, not in the manicured part where the ballfield and playground are, but down in the creek.

Go sit down. Be still. Leave your phone at home, and just sit and watch. Observation is your greatest asset, and it is more than just your eyes. All of your senses are involved. Get there before dawn, and watch the world come alive; it really is a magical experience.

The hunt is about being out there, and the experience with nature. Harvesting an animal is just the byproduct, or an added bonus.

Hunting, it never stops. I measure my time in hunts, and the time preparing for the next hunt. I heard a Jim Shockey interview where he discussed this, and it really struck a chord with me. That is exactly how I feel.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues" - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Gummi Bear View Post
          Tons of good info above.

I love the utility knife. Have been using one for the last 10 years or so on all game. Look for the "safety blades" for work other than zipping through the skin.

I recently bought a Havalon knife, the Piranta with the heavy blades, it is the finest skinner I've ever used. Love it, and will never travel without it again.

I like to use light duty disposable dish gloves, rather than surgical gloves. They are a little thicker, and the longer cuff is nice to keep your shirt cuffs from getting bloody.

Nothing will substitute for spending time in the woods to learn your quarry. You can start in the city park, not in the manicured part where the ballfield and playground are, but down in the creek.

Go sit down. Be still. Leave your phone at home, and just sit and watch. Observation is your greatest asset, and it is more than just your eyes. All of your senses are involved. Get there before dawn, and watch the world come alive; it really is a magical experience.

The hunt is about being out there, and the experience with nature. Harvesting an animal is just the byproduct, or an added bonus.

Hunting, it never stops. I measure my time in hunts, and the time preparing for the next hunt. I heard a Jim Shockey interview where he discussed this, and it really struck a chord with me. That is exactly how I feel.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues" - Abraham Lincoln
          I appreciate every word of that.

Comment

I am a lover of nature, with less time to enjoy it, as I age. I am always inspired by the stories this forum has.

Comment

Day Trip Supplies with the intent of walking distances and hunting:

Lace up boots (avoid Sprained Ankles)
              An extra pair of socks (walking in wet socks sux)
              TP (unless you want to carry another pair of boxers )
              I carry 2 knives and the above mentioned utility knife and hook blades.
              Small Knife sharpener(the white and blue cheapy that you slide blade through)
              Zip Ties
              Meat Bag
              Flashlight with an extra set of batteries
              Compass
              Phone
              Peanut-butter and jelly sandwiches are my go to snack. Protein, sugar, and carbs in one
              Large water bottle and a small filtration adapter for it.
              Hand Sanitizer
              If Bowhunting, slings are a lifesaver
              If Hunting, the little scent wafers on clothing helps
              If Hunting, walk into the wind
              Before you go into field, get on Google Maps and survey the terrain you will be in. Try to identify trails in and out.
              Try to identify key landmarks to keep oriented
              A good Pack is a big help

Comment

Originally posted by EliteZ28Bow View Post

Zip Ties
                Meat Bag
                Compass
                Phone
                Peanut-butter and jelly sandwiches are my go to snack. Protein, sugar, and carbs in one
                Hand Sanitizer
                Before you go into field, get on Google Maps and survey the terrain you will be in. Try to identify trails in and out.
                If you are going into PHL, then GPS is a must and I'd always have a lighter/firestarter with me, not matter what. Plan for the worst and hope for the best. From some of the stories on PHL an LTC/CHL is a must also, be packin' for the crazies out on public land

Comment

I agree with a sidearm, but if you get caught by the law, you might be screwed.

Comment

Originally posted by Ociun View Post
                    What supplies do you bring on a hunt? (Bow sling, knife, candybar, your mistress, etc...) We'll assume it's just a day hunt here. Not camping overnight.

Yes all of that..... let me start with this - overnight is where most of the enjoyment comes from. BBQ, music, campfire, friends and family, kids and smors...... seriously. that's where most of your memories are made.

Comment

Sidearms are good, but be sure you can LEGALLY carry one in the area.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas8point View Post
                        Yes all of that..... let me start with this - overnight is where most of the enjoyment comes from. BBQ, music, campfire, friends and family, kids and smors...... seriously. that's where most of your memories are made.
                        X2

Comment

Originally posted by Texas8point View Post
                          Agree with this. Sometimes you can't get out for the night though. I have great memories of me, my dad, and our dogs walking around for hours in the woods. Now, due to dad's health issues, it is mainly my Lacy Dog and I walking around. Anytime you can find a nice bluff under a nice tree, makes memories for me.

Comment

Originally posted by EliteZ28Bow View Post

Zip Ties
                            Meat Bag
                            Compass
                            Phone
                            Hand Sanitizer
                            Pretty much the same as him except I wear rubber boots and I usually throw a grunt call and a doe bleat can in my back pack also keep a Montana decoy folded up in there also used it quite a bit this year and had a few bucks close 200 yards in no time flat problem was almost every time they did it I was halfway into a bag of jalapeƱo crackers oh and non scented wet wipes are a god send

Comment

Originally posted by bassmatt72 View Post
                              Willing to share what I know.
                              Same here, been hunting since I was allowed to go past the fence and I'm bumping 70 now. I'll share, and believe me no question is too dumb to ask PM me is your too shy to ask in public. I have made some really dumb mistakes and if I can help a fellow out.

Comment

Originally posted by glpoe1 View Post
                                Same here, been hunting since I was allowed to go past the fence and I'm bumping 70 now. I'll share, and believe me no question is too dumb to ask PM me is your too shy to ask in public. I have made some really dumb mistakes and if I can help a fellow out.
                                ^^^this for sure. PM if you need anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X