.224 64 gr. Nosler Bonded Performance- no Bueno

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So in a few threads I've talked highly of the .224 64 gr. Nosler Bonded Performance bullets I loaded for my sons 22-250 because they grouped well and being a Bonded bullet which is hard to find in .224 I figured it would be great. Well after some real world testing on deer I am very unhappy with them. My sons has shot 2 big does and 1 mature buck all perfect right behind the shoulder shots. I'm talking tight right behind not far back gut shots. And all 3 deer have ran over 100 yards and left very little blood. Looks like they are not expanding. Entry and exit holes are both tiny. I'm going to load him some 60 gr. Partitions and see how they do. Anyway just wanted to throw that out there for others loading .224 for deer.

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
    So in a few threads I've talked highly of the .224 64 gr. Nosler Bonded Performance bullets I loaded for my sons 22-250 because they grouped well and being a Bonded bullet which is hard to find in .224 I figured it would be great. Well after some real world testing on deer I am very unhappy with them. My sons has shot 2 big does and 1 mature buck all perfect right behind the shoulder shots. I'm talking tight right behind not far back gut shots. And all 3 deer have ran over 100 yards and left very little blood. Looks like they are not expanding. Entry and exit holes are both tiny. I'm going to load him some 60 gr. Partitions and see how they do. Anyway just wanted to throw that out there for others loading .224 for deer.
    I've had good luck with a Nosler partitions.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Not sure what’s going on but they are likely designed for 223 velocities and are breaking apart at 22-250 velocities.

I would bet that you will see similar results with the partition as it will shed the front half of the jacket and the base may continue to go through at .224 diameter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
        Not sure what’s going on but they are likely designed for 223 velocities and are breaking apart at 22-250 velocities.

I would bet that you will see similar results with the partition as it will shed the front half of the jacket and the base may continue to go through at .224 diameter.

Possibly but Nosler says the Maximum velocity is unlimited on both the Bonded Performance and partition

Comment

I can almost guaranty this. Partition was my go to bullet in several calibers for years.

On deer size game
          They always expand well
          They always exit
          Exit is not much bigger than entrance

That is the design

Comment

No need for premium bullets when shooting deer. If you're gonna do it aim for bone. Otherwise get some Winchester 64 grain power points and be done.

Comment

I don't see the bullet coming apart as an issue. Sounds like it's penciling if anything. If it was shedding half is weight I could see the blood trail issue but the deer still shouldn't be making it 100 yards. Honestly it sounds like a shot placement issue. A straight lung shot with a small cal tough bullet will yield exactly what you're describing. Shoulder, neck or heart shoot the thing or shoot a crimped cup and core

Comment

With the vast amounts of available cartridges we have, I see no need for a beginner / youngster to shoot big game with a 22cal...don't get me wrong as I have harvested dozens with them, but feel the small capacity cases with larger caliber bullets are a better option for big game in the boiler room vs any 22cal which is honestly meant for varmint applications.

300 blackout, 6.5Gr & 6.8spc are good low recoil options...just me, but really like to see 25cal & up for deer. Yeah, they are making tougher bullets for the little pills, but still feel their are better options.

Comment

That bullet has a solid base.

I doubt it's opening up much at all, especially at the velocity of a 22-250. You're simply poking a .22" hole in a critter. Of course it's going to run.

Look at the Sierra Game King in 65gn. It's a timeless classic, with years of proven terminal performance on critters of all sizes.

Comment

C’mon guys I’m surprised at some of you. The faster you drive a Bullet the higher the chance of expansion/fragmentation, not less.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                      With the vast amounts of available cartridges we have, I see no need for a beginner / youngster to shoot big game with a 22cal...don't get me wrong as I have harvested dozens with them, but feel the small capacity cases with larger caliber bullets are a better option for big game in the boiler room vs any 22cal which is honestly meant for varmint applications.

300 blackout, 6.5Gr & 6.8spc are good low recoil options...just me, but really like to see 25cal & up for deer. Yeah, they are making tougher bullets for the little pills, but still feel their are better options.

I never thought I would say this but I have to agree. I bucked the 300 blackouts and 6.5 grendals as long as possible and now here I am about to buy a 6.5GR.

All in all IMO there is just a better round for youth in a 100 yard range than the 223 these days.

Comment

C’mon guys I’m surprised at some of you. The faster you drive a Bullet the higher the chance of expansion/fragmentation, not less.

Directed at who? I agree. From op's description that's not what is happening. For the shor placement it sounds like he needs a softer bullet unless he moves it into the shoulder/neck

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
                          I never thought I would say this but I have to agree. I bucked the 300 blackouts and 6.5 grendals as long as possible and now here I am about to buy a 6.5GR.

All in all IMO there is just a better round for youth in a 100 yard range than the 223 these days.

this. I love my 300bo with 120 grain barnes it has killed 2 mature bucks one at 80 yards from a 10.5 inch barrel. one at 168 yards with 16 inch barrel and the 16inch has 2 does and 8 pigs to its name all around 100 yards none of which made it over 40 yards

Comment

A 64 that was blowing up with an exit should dump a deer in sight if not where it stood and should certainly leave a good blood trail if it wasn't. Sounds high lung to me

Comment

Originally posted by Gummi Bear View Post
                              That bullet has a solid base.

I doubt it's opening up much at all, especially at the velocity of a 22-250. You're simply poking a .22" hole in a critter. Of course it's going to run.

Look at the Sierra Game King in 65gn. It's a timeless classic, with years of proven terminal performance on critters of all sizes.

65g SGK has performed excellent for me on deer and hogs out of a 223!

I'm talking behind the shoulder shots here. Anything works on headshots
                              Last edited by bboswell; 12-10-2017, 12:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X