Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-16-2019, 10:33 AM   #1
JTeLarkin08
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Weatherford/Childress
Default Side Hustle Dream Trip Challenge!!

I listen to a lot of podcast and Gary Vee is always talking about side hustling and grinding. So the other day when I was trying to think of a good YouTube video idea, a crazy one came to mind. I I want to try to pay for either a goat or a sheep hunt by grinding out side hustles. Being on salary over time isnít an option and I feel like I waste a lot of time over the weekends and in the afternoon that I could be doing something more productive. I think it could 100% possible with a little work to make 10-15k over the next year or two with random side hustle jobs. So I thought it would be fun to see if anyone else on here wants to join in on the challenge. You donít have to be saving for a sheep hunt or goat hunt. You can be saving for your dream trip. That might be a day hunt ranch or a fishing trip or even a family vacation. We can all talk about different side hustle ideas and even show progress if your comfortable with it. The rules are simple. Pick a dollar amount and what trip you are saving up for and start grinding. Side hustles can be anything you want other than your 9-5 job. I have been talking about booking a goat or a sheep hunt for to long and need to make it happen, I hope some of you guys join in on this with me.

Here are some of my ideas:
-selling old hunting gear, guns, tools or anything else you already have that you donít need. (Go watch The minimalist documentary on Netflix)
-Growing my YouTube channel to where it is making money from ads. (Iím 60 subs away from being able to monetize again
-Garage sale flipping
-Random Handy man work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JTeLarkin08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 12:04 PM   #2
drop dead fred
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX, Neb, Illinois, MEXICO

Iím going to start working an additional 45 minutes a day at work... thatís my plan since my job offers tons of OT

drop dead fred is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 12:28 PM   #3
Biscuit
Eight Point

Hunt In: Coveralls when it's cold😉

In 2012 I started building custom houses as a side hustle. Have a background in lumber so was around the industry for years. Had a really good job as lumber broker. Made great extra money. My side hustle is now my full time gig as we have grown the company substantially. Now build about 10-15 homes per year. I left my 8-5 earlier this year and it is the best decision I have ever made.
This is to tell you that it can be done and who knows what it turns into. Think long and hard about what you are going to do. I did it because I enjoyed it and now I enjoy it everyday and only have to answer to myself.

Good luck

Last edited by Biscuit; 09-16-2019 at 12:31 PM.
Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 12:58 PM   #4
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

I been paying for hunting trips, guns, vacations and boats with side hustle money for 10 years. Houston rodeo is a pretty good chunk of it but I do manage 8-10 hours a week the rest of the year
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 12:59 PM   #5
JTeLarkin08
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
I been paying for hunting trips, guns, vacations and boats with side hustle money for 10 years. Houston rodeo is a pretty good chunk of it but I do manage 8-10 hours a week the rest of the year

What do you do at the Houston rodeo?

Old 09-16-2019, 01:00 PM   #6
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Rent pigs!
AntlerCollector is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 01:05 PM   #7
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post

something like this

Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 01:07 PM   #8
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Become an Uber driver in your free time. Especially during the rodeo
Old 09-16-2019, 01:09 PM   #9
manwitaplan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:

I believe he does security work!

There are so many things you can do to make good money. Believe it or not people will actually pay for things thats crazy.

I met a very very prominent dentist in austin one time. His passion was staining fences on the weekend. He was a high end fence stainer and loved it. He had plenty of money but hustled the fence staining.

Not sure where you live but you could easily bang out good money aerating yards for fertilizer. Every year when i rent the machine my neighbors just pay me to do their yard and machine is paid for. Plenty of ideas to hustle.

I like this and the idea. Keep us updated.

manwitaplan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 01:13 PM   #10
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

People are making good money printing BETO stickers right now.

Old 09-16-2019, 01:37 PM   #11
captainsling
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Dilley, Texas

I started my side hustle about 7 years ago. I lucked into it, and it has afforded my wife and I a lot over those years. Pays both of our vehicles every month. Working part time for DU. Volunteering led me into a PT gig. Full time during the week, and about an hour and a half of work every day of the year. No days off from the PT gig, but have back ups if I am out of internet coverage.
captainsling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 01:48 PM   #12
JONES45LC
Ten Point

Hunt In: edwards, real, medina, kerr counties

Thats why i guide and outfit hunts, my hunting is mostly free.
JONES45LC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 01:51 PM   #13
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

I’m in for this.
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 02:03 PM   #14
6.5CM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Starr County

I just spent way to much on a new rifle/scope so when I get back to work I’ll be putting in some major OT.
6.5CM is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 02:21 PM   #15
AZST_bowhunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
People are making good money printing BETO stickers right now.

This is part of what I want to do...shirts hats and stickers.. I have about 3 designs right now, the equipment can get steep!
AZST_bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 02:23 PM   #16
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZST_bowhunter View Post
This is part of what I want to do...shirts hats and stickers.. I have about 3 designs right now, the equipment can get steep!

I was in the t-shirt design, and screen printing business many years ago. Going to crawfish festivals, and events were good weekend money makers.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:55 PM   #17
noflyzone
Ten Point

Keep the ideas flowing. Lol

I'm thinking more and more everyday about a side hustle that will lead to me possibly purchasing a vacation rental.
noflyzone is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 04:05 PM   #18
JTeLarkin08
Pope & Young

Here is the plan I have in place on how i am going to go about this challenge.

About a year ago I opened a ďhuntingĒ savings account that I set up in order to save money that goes directly to future hunts. However in the past 8 months or so I have used it more for my play money account when i didnít want my wife complaining about me spending money. I spent like $2400 on a Vegas trip in July and own basically every piece of kuiu gear made. So I drained a lot of what I had saved. That is stopping now. I usually put $150 a week of my paycheck into this account and I will continue to do that. My ďhuntingĒ account is currently at around $2300.

The first thing I am going to do it sell a lot of stuff that I have and that I donít use. I really liked the minimalist documentary and I really do feel like the more junk I have the more it stresses me out. So I like the idea of getting rid of a lot of my clutter first and seeing how much money I can raise that way. Technically I guess itís not a side hustle but it is a good way to save up some money and get rid of some clutter.

Second thing I am gonna do is continue to grow my YouTube channel. I have some buddies who have a very big following and they both told me Iím dumb for not doing it. I added up how many views I have and if I was monetizing it I would have made about $650 last year. This also gives me the option to make shirts, stickers and merch in the future.

Last thing for now is look for some items to flip and maybe even find a part time guiding job for a few weekends this fall.

Yesterday I was able to sell $70 worth of stuff including a knife and 40 foot of D loop material.

Old 09-16-2019, 04:13 PM   #19
Buff
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

I run guided fishing trips on the weekend to pay for my boat
Name:  5667FD44-6CCC-4E7F-9546-5B8812AB4160.jpeg
Views: 1601
Size:  167.7 KB

Name:  74F99A83-E61D-4EF2-B578-7CFD24EC97EC.jpeg
Views: 1603
Size:  146.8 KB
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 04:13 PM   #20
AZST_bowhunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Here is the plan I have in place on how i am going to go about this challenge.

About a year ago I opened a ďhuntingĒ savings account that I set up in order to save money that goes directly to future hunts. However in the past 8 months or so I have used it more for my play money account when i didnít want my wife complaining about me spending money. I spent like $2400 on a Vegas trip in July and own basically every piece of kuiu gear made. So I drained a lot of what I had saved. That is stopping now. I usually put $150 a week of my paycheck into this account and I will continue to do that. My ďhuntingĒ account is currently at around $2300.

The first thing I am going to do it sell a lot of stuff that I have and that I donít use. I really liked the minimalist documentary and I really do feel like the more junk I have the more it stresses me out. So I like the idea of getting rid of a lot of my clutter first and seeing how much money I can raise that way. Technically I guess itís not a side hustle but it is a good way to save up some money and get rid of some clutter.

Second thing I am gonna do is continue to grow my YouTube channel. I have some buddies who have a very big following and they both told me Iím dumb for not doing it. I added up how many views I have and if I was monetizing it I would have made about $650 last year. This also gives me the option to make shirts, stickers and merch in the future.

Last thing for now is look for some items to flip and maybe even find a part time guiding job for a few weekends this fall.

Yesterday I was able to sell $70 worth of stuff including a knife and 40 foot of D loop material.

Does your channel have a name? a logo? sell merch from your channel
Old 09-16-2019, 04:18 PM   #21
AZST_bowhunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
I was in the t-shirt design, and screen printing business many years ago. Going to crawfish festivals, and events were good weekend money makers.
My main thing with it will be my two brands, which I will link up with my idea for a youtube channel, it will be based off of people just getting outdoors that don't know much about it. On the side (to supplement my "brands" will be making shirts and stickers (and eventually hats for people).
Old 09-16-2019, 04:25 PM   #22
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Old 09-16-2019, 04:35 PM   #23
James
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney County, Kansas and Out West

I guide several weekends a year, do lots of Euros... it’s been great hunting money. I need To figure out some more ideas to keep it flowing! Definitely have plenty of stuff to sale.
Short term bucket list ...
Legit Archery Elk
Float plane Alaska trip
James is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 04:36 PM   #24
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Choctaw Co. OK

Man, I'd love to start a little side gig. My wife and I are expecting our first kid in December and I'm sure he is going to put a hurtin on the wallet.

I have been tossing ideas around in my head to start a Christmas light side gig. Some of these people doing it are killing it.
SFAbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 04:42 PM   #25
JTeLarkin08
Pope & Young

Quote:
Does your channel have a name? a logo? sell merch from your channel

Yes here is my channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAg...Bo8ozWOA9ct-7g

i think my logo is pretty cool.

I used to sell some merch from my website. I need to get some more hats and stickers made up.

www.hook-arrow.com

Old 09-16-2019, 05:00 PM   #26
MLank
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
Man, I'd love to start a little side gig. My wife and I are expecting our first kid in December and I'm sure he is going to put a hurtin on the wallet.

I have been tossing ideas around in my head to start a Christmas light side gig. Some of these people doing it are killing it.
Forget about the wallet... it's much, much more of a hurtin' on your ample free time.
MLank is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 05:15 PM   #27
SFAbowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Choctaw Co. OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLank View Post
Forget about the wallet... it's much, much more of a hurtin' on your ample free time.
Haha yup I bet so!
SFAbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 05:26 PM   #28
doug
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
That's the only thing I miss since retiring. Never did the rodeo but paid for a lot of hunting, fishing, and toys with Toyota Center and a few other jobs!

Just now starting to do some woodworking stuff that will bring in some play money! Don't really "need" the money but plan on using it for the play stuff like the EJs used to. Good topic though, I may just concentrate on a dream trip like the OPs topic. Hmmmmm....... maybe fishing alaska!
doug is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 05:54 PM   #29
TA_Fab
Four Point

Welding / outboard repair for me. Unfortunately been to busy at work to do either in a while. But I get quarterly bonuses so I guess it just depends on how you look at it.

TA_Fab is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 06:24 PM   #30
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Hunt In: crockett, county

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFAbowhunter View Post

You have no idea just how much that little dude will cost, but he will be worth it. Daycare is like a never ending Bill you donít get any return on.

Be careful putting up light. Falling off ladders sucks.

Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 06:43 PM   #31
John Paul
Ten Point

Hunt In: Blackhill, McCoy, Encinal

Been doing mesquite tables with or without inlay for about 5 years. Did OK, just took on a job for a large kitchen countertop, this mIght be a good direction to take it. Would really like to do this on side but selling is really hard. Have tried consignment stores all around Boerne and Fredericksburg but they straight up tell you, want ever I want for it they will mark it up as much as 100 percent. That was discouraging.
John Paul is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 07:02 PM   #32
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Medina Counties

I own a tackle shop on the side but I don’t have big dreams. I spend my extra money taking fishing trips all over the place.
panhandlehunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 07:09 PM   #33
mooch
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLank View Post

Truth! But well worth it.

mooch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 08:46 PM   #34
MLank
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooch View Post
Truth! But well worth it.

Oh, definitely, agreed.
MLank is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 08:58 PM   #35
dope hunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Throckmorton

Quote:
Yes here is my channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAg...Bo8ozWOA9ct-7g

i think my logo is pretty cool.

I used to sell some merch from my website. I need to get some more hats and stickers made up.

www.hook-arrow.com

Subscribed

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
dope hunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 08:59 PM   #36
AgHntr10
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where the thieves and poachers roam

I was into the distribution of recreational pharmaceuticals but that business went up in smoke.
AgHntr10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 09:07 PM   #37
AZST_bowhunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dope hunter View Post
Subscribed

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Thats a good looking logo, can easily be put on merch. I subed, so you are one closer lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2019, 09:30 PM   #38
doug
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria

Quote:
Thats a good looking logo, can easily be put on merch. I subed, so you are one closer lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Me too! Hope you get there!
doug is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 09:38 PM   #39
JTeLarkin08
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug View Post
Me too! Hope you get there!
haha thanks guys im 50 away from being able to monetize again now lol
Old 09-16-2019, 09:40 PM   #40
rut-ro
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon,Madison and Zavalla

Sounds good and I like listening to Gary Vee. The only thing I do not agree with him on is the "triple down on your strengths". I feel you already know what your good at so triple down on your weaknesses and make them strengths too. Good luck on the adventure and put some stuff in the classifieds LOL
rut-ro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-16-2019, 09:59 PM   #41
175gr7.62
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River County,Harrison County, SW Kansas,

I should just stop drinking beer...

175gr7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2019, 12:21 AM   #42
muddyfuzzy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Parts Unknown

muddyfuzzy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2019, 06:26 AM   #43
ntxshooter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cooke County

I work in steel fabrication. I occassionally buy some AR500 and cut targets for guys. Easy enough to do, as like you I'm salary and dont get OT
ntxshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2019, 07:11 AM   #44
Texas8point
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Buffalo and Juno, Texas

Quote:
I listen to a lot of podcast and Gary Vee is always talking about side hustling and grinding. So the other day when I was trying to think of a good YouTube video idea, a crazy one came to mind. I I want to try to pay for either a goat or a sheep hunt by grinding out side hustles. Being on salary over time isnít an option and I feel like I waste a lot of time over the weekends and in the afternoon that I could be doing something more productive. I think it could 100% possible with a little work to make 10-15k over the next year or two with random side hustle jobs. So I thought it would be fun to see if anyone else on here wants to join in on the challenge. You donít have to be saving for a sheep hunt or goat hunt. You can be saving for your dream trip. That might be a day hunt ranch or a fishing trip or even a family vacation. We can all talk about different side hustle ideas and even show progress if your comfortable with it. The rules are simple. Pick a dollar amount and what trip you are saving up for and start grinding. Side hustles can be anything you want other than your 9-5 job. I have been talking about booking a goat or a sheep hunt for to long and need to make it happen, I hope some of you guys join in on this with me.

Here are some of my ideas:
-selling old hunting gear, guns, tools or anything else you already have that you donít need. (Go watch The minimalist documentary on Netflix)
-Growing my YouTube channel to where it is making money from ads. (Iím 60 subs away from being able to monetize again
-Garage sale flipping
-Random Handy man work

all sounds good. Make it happen !
Texas8point is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2019, 07:43 AM   #45
HighwayHunter
Ten Point

Been thinking about building arrows for people, just donít know how many people are willing to pay for their arrows to be built and shopping them off. I know there arenít a lot of shops across Texas so Iíve been considering it.

HighwayHunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2019, 08:03 AM   #46
JTeLarkin08
Pope & Young

Started researching POD merch services last night. Will be perfect for me starting out because there is no up front cost. Basically order comes to my website and goes directly to printful. They print the shirt and ship it within 3-4 days. Tinkered a little last night and came up with a shirt and a phone case.

Old 09-17-2019, 08:29 AM   #47
Jzoch
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke County

Quote:
Started researching POD merch services last night. Will be perfect for me starting out because there is no up front cost. Basically order comes to my website and goes directly to printful. They print the shirt and ship it within 3-4 days. Tinkered a little last night and came up with a shirt and a phone case.

I really like your design!! Do you have any on some Richardson hats?
Jzoch is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2019, 10:45 AM   #48
JTeLarkin08
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzoch View Post
I really like your design!! Do you have any on some Richardson hats?

Thatís my next plan is to get some hats made. I like the Richardson hats too. Just have to find some for cheap enough to make a few bucks selling them.

Old 09-17-2019, 11:11 AM   #49
TxSpinner
Eight Point

Hunt In: Everywhere!

sweet, Ill sub to you.
TxSpinner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2019, 11:23 AM   #50
AZST_bowhunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Thatís my next plan is to get some hats made. I like the Richardson hats too. Just have to find some for cheap enough to make a few bucks selling them.

https://www.cuernosgrande.com/

last time i had them priced was 8.75 per hat minumum order of a dozen. $40 setup fee for one color. If you don't have your logo vectored he does it for $75. He responds pretty quick to.